"Saving" calories?

Options
How much is too much with calories to save in advance?

I have band practice tomorrow and usually have 1-2 drinks to loosen me up before doing vocals (I'm kind of shy even with my own band so I kind of have to liquor up before I can shamelessly belt it)... When all's said and done today I have about 1000+ calories left over (600 from exercise and ~500 from my normal allowance) which would pretty much do it for two rounds of sake. Not against cutting down but I'm still planning on drinking a bit tomorrow :)

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Technically none. Being under today doesn't mean you get to "eat" extra tomorrow. That said it's not really a big deal IMO do to it once and awhile, just log EACH day properly and you'll notice your weekly total will still probably be in line with the weekly goal for calories.

Time to start learning some other coping techniques to relax and loosen up too!!!
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i would look up sake and see how many calories they will log you in for, then account for how many you feel you need. I do the same with beer on days when I will be around it, cause I know I won't resist. But, I try and keep everyday separate, if that's what you meant by saving calories.
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    That's a good idea, I'll just try to save a few hundred calories tomorrow to indulge :) I've heard of people saving up calories over a week like putting them into a bank to "spend" at the end of the week but I didn't know how practical that actually was or if I'd just be cheating myself
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor for a beta blocker instead of using alcohol. I used small doses to get through some performance anxiety.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    this one time, i did not intentionally save it, but I had like been under my calories goal by about 300 everyday that week, then on Saturday I got really *intoxicated* lol and the drunchies kicked in.. I ate aroung 5000 calories that day, and I ended up losing a pound :P !!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Technically you can't "carry over" calories from one day to the next. But, I will say that I've had some days where I had no interest in eating after going to the gym - so I was way under my calories. When I wake up starving the next day and want to eat everything I can get my hands on... I call it even if I'm over that day.

I would look up the calories for what you're planning to drink and work those calories into your daily calories for the day you're planning to drink.

I don't drink (never was much of a drinker and now I don't wanna waste calories on it), so I'm not sure how many calories you'll need to set aside.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you were just talking about food, I'd say go ahead and "roll over" some of those calories. It's not like your body resets at midnight. Although 1000 is a bit much.

But if you were going to use a very large portion of those calories towards alcohol, you're not just using calories, you're missing out on vital nutrients.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lots of people carry over, it is no different than calorie zig zagging.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's OK to save some calories from one day to splurge a little more another day.

But saving calories to drink seems like a bad idea to me. I've had drinks on an empty stomach before. You won't really know how it will effect you. May not help you belt it out after all.
  • Dskwon
    Dskwon Posts: 17
    Options
    this one time, i did not intentionally save it, but I had like been under my calories goal by about 300 everyday that week, then on Saturday I got really *intoxicated* lol and the drunchies kicked in.. I ate aroung 5000 calories that day, and I ended up losing a pound :P !!!

Very impressive.
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    If you were just talking about food, I'd say go ahead and "roll over" some of those calories. It's not like your body resets at midnight. Although 1000 is a bit much.

But if you were going to use a very large portion of those calories towards alcohol, you're not just using calories, you're missing out on vital nutrients.

I'm not a heavy drinker by any means and don't care much for sugary mixed stuff :) I'm not going to forego eating all day tomorrow just so I can drink a boatload or anything
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor for a beta blocker instead of using alcohol. I used small doses to get through some performance anxiety.

That's really interesting, I've never heard of doing that before, I'll have to check it out if/when we do any live stuff for more than 10 people haha
  • MzTrapp
    MzTrapp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think carrying over calories is a good idea because all your doing is breaking even therefore not really loosing, you would be maintaining.
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options
    Technically you can't "carry over" calories from one day to the next. But, I will say that I've had some days where I had no interest in eating after going to the gym - so I was way under my calories.

That's kind of what's going on with me today--I'm really new to doing a lot of exercise (was mostly sedentary for a long time) and burned a LOT this morning at the gym but haven't been hungry pretty much all day... I figured if saving up calories really worked then it would be advantageous to me tomorrow to not make myself eat any more to meet my calorie goal but I'm thinking most of the advice given leans towards no
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I think that's fine as long as you get your nutrients. I would say skip the high calorie drinks and get something low calorie but with enough alcohol to do the job. Cranberry vodkas usually "loosen" me up a good deal for under 100 calories depending on how much cranberry cocktail they use. Also, if you're drinking on an empty stomach, you're more likely to get drunk and then you will dehydrate yourself and hold water causing you to gain temporary water weight - and that's no fun. Be careful!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with 'carrying over' calories. Your body doesn't reset at midnight every day, it's all about averages. And a few drinks aren't going to hurt you either, I drink a few times a week (and when I drink it's usually more than a few drinks) and it hasn't slowed down my weight loss. I have still lost 45lbs in 4 months.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Technically none. Being under today doesn't mean you get to "eat" extra tomorrow.

Why not?? If you are eating a deficit of say 3500 a week to lose 1lb a week, wouldn't it just be the total calories? You're body is going to burn it off either way. I don't really think it discriminates between days.
  • PositiveGoals
    Options
    If you're planning to eat more tomorrow, I recommend you increase your cardio tomorrow. Then be good the rest of the week. As long as you burn all those extra calories you will be fine. Now if it takes 5 hrs of cardio to burn off the extra calories, then you get to decide if those extra calories were worth it. Good luck!