Anybody lose 80+ pounds?

How long did it take you to lose 80+ pounds and what did you do to lose It? Thanks

Replies

• newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It took me about a year to lose the "first 80". However, if you look at it from the other end (total loss of 149), it took it took about 1 year 9 months to lose the "last 80". I ate at 1500-1700 calories, walked, and did strength training with a personal trainer 2-3x week. I added fitness classes after about a year. It doesn't mean your experience will be the same.

Wow congrats! And thanks for sharing!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    4 yrs though I was pregnant for 9 months of that.
    I lost just over 130 lbs in 4 yrs. I am currently working on about 10 lbs of regained weight.
    My last 10 lbs took 7-8 months. I expect it will take just as long to do it again.
  • JaynaeNicole24
    JaynaeNicole24 Posts: 5 Member
    Started at 214,currently 180..got about 40-45 more pounds to go! Hasn't been easy for me. Wish i was blessed with the gift of a fast metabolism like my brothers
  • newstart1988
    newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
    Congrats to everyone on your weight loss! I hope one day I can have weight loss success! Thanks for sharing!
  • JustLikeJordin
    JustLikeJordin Posts: 129 Member
    I'm down nearly 90 and I began in August of last year but did not consistently work at it until March of this year. The beginning once I changed my diet the weight loss was rapid. Then after incorporating regular cardio via my incumbent bike it remained steady avg nearly 10lbs a month. My diet is a hybrid LCHF/low carb and I began with LCHF strictly for a month. I walk, briskly for miles averaging 5-8 per hike. While I wish I could do this more the climate where I am does not allow until nearly winter. So until it cooled off here I mostly rode for an hour a day and sometimes an extra 30 in the evenings. Both followed by min 5 min cool downs. Cals kept around 1300-1500. Yes there were cheats but the harder I worked the less likely I was interested in stalling my progress. I expect to meet my goal by winters end. Happy Sweating and best of luck to a fellow tall MFPer!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I'm down 109lb in 13 months with 40-50 to go. Lost the first 90lb in around 9 months and the last 20lb has taken a lot longer as I've deliberately slowed down the rate of loss to concentrate on strength training. Plan is to lose around 45lb next year by losing around 5lb a month for 3 months then take a month off before repeating.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    It took four years to drop 100 lbs, and I've kept it off for six years (with the exception of a pregnancy two years ago; that said, I am weigh slightly less now than I did before getting pregnant). All of my weight loss was by tracking my food; I did not exercise regularly for a number of reasons. 1400 calories a day worked pretty well for me (I'm 5'6"). I now exercise a few times a week and am closer to goal weight, so I've increased my calories to 1500 to 1600, depending on how active I am.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I've lost 94 pounds. It took me one year to lose 70, and another year to lose the second 24, but I took a lot of maintenance breaks to concentrate on running.

I mainly walked, then picked up water jogging in the summer to build up cardio function, then running. I did strength training all along, mostly medium weights. (I'm not that strong, and don't recover that well from heavy lifting, though the medium weights are heavy to me.)

I'd like to lose some more vanity weight to lower my body fat percentage and will be eating at deficit come the new year.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2016
    It took me 1 year to lose 75 pounds, then 6 months for the last 5. I've regained a couple since though (that was 4 years ago) because it's just too little food for me. I'm about 10-15 pounds under the top of the normal BMI now (depending on the time of the month).

Exercise was mostly walking with a mix of lifting and cardio programs (beachbody stuff).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    11 months to lose 80#. I started at 313# though. I watched my portions (weighed and measured foods) and walked more.
  • saptap
    saptap Posts: 18 Member
    I started my journey at Christmas of 2014 and it took me two years to lose 80 pounds. More importantly my pants size went from a 42 to a 32 waist. The first 40 pounds came off fairly easy with changing my diet. The last 40 was a struggle but a good struggle. I went from just doing cardio to having a balanced approach incorporating weight lifting into my daily activities. Lifting weights changed everything for me and if I had to do it all over again I would have started lifting right away. Still do cardio but I balance everything out now. I can't emphasize enough for those who are struggling or can't seem to lose the weight as fast as they would prefer, to keep on working at it and stop thinking in terms of weeks or months and think of it as a life long healthy life style. Making the changes slowly ( my weight loss) and changing my habits enabled me to change my mindset. Those that I know who looked for quick solutions may have lost some weight but put it all back on because they never reflected on their poor habits.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    I hesitate to even post this as my progress is not typical and my TDEE is much higher than any of the calorie calculators predict. I started July 12 at 320 pounds. I don't not and refuse to starve myself or follow a VLCD. I simply eat healthy and in moderation. Actually, many are surprised at how much I still eat. I eat lean meats, fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. There are no gimmicks involved in my diet. Of course, I do count calories but they basically take care of themselves at this point. I also lift weights and walk on the treadmill up to 4 days a week. I lost 80 pounds by Halloween and am now down over 100. I have also increased my calories some and cut down a little on the cardio to cut my deficit as I have gotten leaner. The size of deficit you can safely or reasonably maintain is closely related to how much body fat you have. I will also add that any time you restrict calories, there should be an emphasis on nutrition.

This may sound funny coming from me but just remember that it isn't a race and there is no time limit. Eat healthy and eat at a deficit that is reasonable for you and you will lose weight. Make changes to your diet that are sustainable and don't leave you feeling deprived and you will be successful long term.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    275 to 175. I guess I did. It took me 2 years to lose 80.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    I dropped my first 80lbs over the course of 6 months. I started at 300lbs. The next 40lbs has taken nearly a year. The last 40lbs will probably take until mid summer 2017. I had a "break/case of the screw its" for 4 months that has slowed me down. I'm back on a roll now!
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    I've lost a little over 100 pounds. It was 50 in the first year, and about 56 so far this year. The first 80 hit probably around July or August of this year, so a little over a year and a half. Granted, this has also been with some large gaps of not losing any weight. First, because I hadn't bought a food scale yet so I was eating more than I thought, and then sometimes periods of maintenance because I wanted to eat more.

Other than the food scale, I'd say part of what has helped me adhere is dropping my goal from 2 pounds per week to 1 pound per week to add in more calories. For the first year I lost the weight just by adjusting eating habits. Then I started adding in walks, and then the gym in May of this year, which has mostly been the elliptical or treadmill with adding in weights in just the last couple of months.