Noob help?

Options
jbradley4809
jbradley4809 Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2016 in Getting Started
Long story but to summarize I'm 300 pounds after a severe back injury. I'm able to walk a little but not long before my back causes me to be in so much pain I have to sit and limp. So my activity is at an all time low (healthy weight was 210, at 5'11 played sports, etc)

I have nerve damage in my right arm to the point I can't even curl more than 25 pounds, but I can bench 200 easy enough....so I had a personal trainer who struggled finding good exercises that I could do...

fast forward a year and nothing changed, I want bariatric surgery but I need to change eatting habbits and such now (surgery in about 6 month) and I'm using this app to help track what I eat and listen to my dietician. She says 1800 limit daily, sure sounds good...

except I suck at cooking and planning apparently. I'm looking for help with meal ideas, broken down pretty dumb for me. So I can shop Saturday, make everything Sunday for the whole week? I'm not sure where to begin? little overwhelmed these last two days.

Replies

• kerstenk141
    kerstenk141 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest doing a google search for low calorie meals and see which ones look good to you as well as which ones you would be willing to make.
  • LeWahnderful
    LeWahnderful Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Download the PINTEREST app and search for healthy meals or healthy and fast meals etc.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'd say to keep you fridge and pantry simple. Lots of fresh fruit and veg. I buy frozen to make sure we eat lots at every meal. Lean chicken. Ground turkey. Oatmeal. I eat that everyday. Cooked with cinnamon and raisins, I don't even need brown sugar.

Purchase and use a good scale. For everything. Do not eyeball measure.

Soup was my friend when I was losing. I ate it every day. You can easily make a huge pot and portion out. Freeze extra portions for lazy days.

Good luck. You're doing the right thing!
  • rz9liason
    rz9liason Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) If possible, purchase a crockpot or two!... and use Pinterest or Yummly to find quick and easy healthy meals. Crockpots are great for making just about everything, just dump in the ingredients and go.

2) Double batch cooking is your friend! For example, cook up a double batch of taco meat (chicken, turkey, lean ground beef), skinless baked chicken, meatballs, steel cut oats, meatloaf, sloppy joe recipes etc.. ) There are plenty of recipes on Pinterest for homemade taco seasoning if you're watching sodium level. I double batch cook every two to three weeks. One of my favorites is taco meat that I can use for multiple recipes, like burritos, tostada, quesadilla, nachos, and enchiladas. I recently Google'd how to freeze steel cut oats!...and now make a double batch which I keep in the freezer and can pull out a serving as needed.

3) Cook foods that are seasonal to keep costs low.

4) Write down the foods that you like and look for low cal and healthy recipes on Pinterest.

5) Purchase freezer bags, aluminum foil, freezer paper and small containers that can be used for freezing and microwave. Portion out whatever foods you make and label the freezer bag or container to keep track of frozen foods.

6) If you're cooking for ONE, cut the recipe into half or you will end up with too much food or wasting it in the end.

7) Poach or bake skinless chicken and portion it out for sandwiches, salads, etc.

8) Set up your pantry and kitchen with healthy versions of the foods that you love.

9) Try and make two to three recipes at the same time. For example, a double batch of turkey taco meat that can be portioned out to be used during the week and frozen. Love meatballs? Cook up a double batch of lean beef or turkey meatballs to be used for sandwiches and various pasta recipes. Love chicken? Cook up a double batch of chicken fingers, poached or baked chicken to be portioned out to be used during the week and frozen.

10) Planning and Organization is the key, at least for me! I use a small notebook to keep a running list of foods to purchase at the grocery store and joined Pinterest / Yummly to look for healthy recipes.

Hang in there and keep tracking what you eat in MyFitnessPal. Here's hoping you can find an exercise routine that will work in the long run.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Additional websites I would suggest:
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.skinnytaste.com
    www.eatingwell.com

Also, if there's something specific you are craving or want to eat you can try googling it + healthy recipe. For example, a while back I wanted shrimp alfredo, but the recipe I knew was way too fattening so I googled healthy shrimp alfredo and a bunch of results came up.

In addition to meal prepping and prelogging your meals, I would suggest keeping snacks on hand that are ready to eat. Prechopped and washed veggies, fruit, etc. in individual serving size zip locks.

Always good to have food frozen too in case you don't feel like cooking one day and just want something quick and easy.
  • lucasangels
    lucasangels Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My best advice my friend is to literally keep it SIMPLE!! Meaning focus on the foods you like and buy fresh and frozen. Pick fav seasonings and prepare in non_stick pan. Exercise with bands or low weights daily, and share your journey with those who lift you up!!

Blessings ✌
  • kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Breakfast-

Half an avacado per slice
    Whole mean bread or brown only. Never white, cut that out if you do.

Or

Scrambled eggs on toast-
    4 eggs, remove yoak out of 3 of them, sprinkle some mixed herbs and smoked paprika to add flavour.

Lunch-

Chicken breast fillet
    Broccoli and spinage with brown rice 100g

Dinner-
    I'm not to sure, google something
  • caseyochs
    caseyochs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and easy... Or so they say. I have a hard time meal prepping or feeling hungry for what I've prepped over the week.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You sound overwhelmed. Start easy. For meal prepping, I like to batch cook and then freeze the left overs into single serving sizes, so that it is easy for grab and go meals. Adding the recipes in as you make them, makes it much easier to input the meals when you pull them out. I like to tinker with recipes, usually adding extra vegetables which will increase the bulk of the meal without significantly adding too many calories. For example, if it calls for 1/2 cup of zucchini, I will add a full cup (I use a food scale to weigh that cup for accuracy). The websites listed above will give you some great ideas.

Take some deep breathes when are feeling stressed out. You can do it. Stay focused and log as accurately as possible. It's not a complicated process, but it isn't easy either. The formula for success is simple, but there are old habits and emotional road blocks that can get in the way. Here is some great reading to get you settled in:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Op...listen to nutmegoreo. Great post there.

All you need to to do to lose weight is set up your mfp diet profile and eat those calories, not under, but at those calories every day. Choose a 2lb per week loss as it is possible for you right now. Read the links within the link nutmegoreo posted as it has everything that you need to know.
    kayemali wrote: »
    Breakfast-

Half an avacado per slice
    Whole mean bread or brown only. Never white, cut that out if you do.

Or

Scrambled eggs on toast-
    4 eggs, remove yoak out of 3 of them, sprinkle some mixed herbs and smoked paprika to add flavour.

Lunch-

Chicken breast fillet
    Broccoli and spinage with brown rice 100g

Dinner-
    I'm not to sure, google something

1. Not necessary to cut out white bread. weight loss is all about calorie deficit.
    2. No need to remove yolks from eggs.

OP....I eat white bread, sugar, and foods that I like alongside a few nutritious options and am doing just fine. Losing weight is 100% calorie deficit.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My food diary is open and you are welcome to add me. Really I would also recommend looking for friends with open diaries and check them out. I have gotten more than one idea from friends. I keep mine pretty simple and love my protein smoothies and egg white omlets.