cheat day??

Options
So I've read that people on here allow themselves a cheat day where they set there calorie intake to maintain for one day a week, month, or whatever...does it really hurt your life change to do this? I have a friend who does weight watchers and has had amazing success with it who told me she gets a certain amount of cheat points a week and it still works. Anyone else give themselves a cheat day?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule one in but every 3-6 weeks I tend to allow one. Keeps me sane.

At 48 lbs. lost since January, I think it's going well. :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I keep reading everywhere that it's better to have a cheat meal than a cheat day. I don't have any set cheat meals or days but sometimes I'll get a craving and know there's no way it's going away. A couple weeks ago, I had a craving for pizza that lasted 2 days so I finally caved and got a personal cheese pizza for myself. I don't believe in cutting anything out of my diet. I still eat certain things every now and then just because I'm doing this for the rest of my life, not for a short amount of time.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Sure! Nothing wrong with treating yourself once in a while. Helps keep the spirit up. You shouldn't deprive yourself of those simple little pleasures. I say everything is okay in moderation.
  • cajuntinkerbell
    Options
    I don't allow cheat days, but I don't completely deprive myself. If I want a cookie or a piece of chocolate I have A cookie or A piece of chocolate. It doesn't hurt to compromise once in a while.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I keep reading everywhere that it's better to have a cheat meal than a cheat day. I don't have any set cheat meals or days but sometimes I'll get a craving and know there's no way it's going away. A couple weeks ago, I had a craving for pizza that lasted 2 days so I finally caved and got a personal cheese pizza for myself. I don't believe in cutting anything out of my diet. I still eat certain things every now and then just because I'm doing this for the rest of my life, not for a short amount of time.

completely agree with your mindset, except i have cheat days occasionally (like beginning of my TOM) because sometimes hormones & cravings are too much & i've read places than occasionally eating a lot more cals than your body has gotten used to can help jump start it out of a plateau or speed up your metabolism a little. i allow cheat meals when i know i'm going somewhere special or whatever & try to plan ahead if i'll be having a few close together by eating less during the day or adding an extra workout, so it balances out. i'm in this for life, not just till i drop these last stubborn pounds. ♥
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    yes i pick a date every two weeks or so. It gives me something to work for :)
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The weekly points (cheat points) in weightwatchers are already factored on your allowed intake to loose weight. So if you don't use them better but if you do that's fine too because they are factored in already.

Here it works different, when you select the rate at which you want to loose weight the program factors it based on your lifestyle and current stats but there are no cheat calories factored in.

I usually allow myself a "cheat" day a month, having said that though I will not eat the exercise calories I burn on the next few days until whatever amount I go over is covered.
  • bwilcox30
    bwilcox30 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recommend a cheat meal rather than a whole day because that seems too excessive and I personally think a cheat meal should be used only when you are feeling a binge or severe craving coming on that you just cannot avoid. Also, I may allow myself a small treat on a daily basis as long as it stays in my alotted daily calorie range in order to ward off the big plunge that can cause you to go overboard. Hope this helps.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

completely agree with your mindset, except i have cheat days occasionally (like beginning of my TOM) because sometimes hormones & cravings are too much & i've read places than occasionally eating a lot more cals than your body has gotten used to can help jump start it out of a plateau or speed up your metabolism a little. i allow cheat meals when i know i'm going somewhere special or whatever & try to plan ahead if i'll be having a few close together by eating less during the day or adding an extra workout, so it balances out. i'm in this for life, not just till i drop these last stubborn pounds. ♥

No, that makes sense! I usually just do my best to resist cravings & the days I go over are days I lose control or days I can't control where we eat, such as last weekend. Certain cirumstances kept me from staying close to my goal and part of it was lack of self-control. :happy: And I still lost this week so it can't kill you!
  • shanel_h
    shanel_h Posts: 18
    Options
    thank you all for the replies. I've been at this for about three months and don't really deprive myself of food i want but i make sure to just have a little and add it into my diary for the most part lots of my old habits are just not worth it but every now and then i crave a little something