1500 Calorie Diet, would anyone care to share a successful weight-loss story?

Options
I’m thinking about starting a 1500 calorie/ day, plus exercise diet. Can anyone tell me their success story? How it began, where you are now, how long it took to lose weight etc…?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    There are tons of success stories in the "Success Stories" section of the boards. Here's a link to mine:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257157/c-section-mom-of-2-my-progress-over-the-past-couple-years-lots-of-pics/p1
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Don't 'think', just do :smiley:
    I ate a bit more than 1500 cals - I actually ate closer to 1800 cals to lose 0.5lb a week. It depends on how much you have to lose but anything from 1500 upwards is much more doable long term than trying to eat less imo.
    (I've been in maintenance for nearly 4 years/ it took me a year to lose the 22lbs I needed to lose)
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've done 1400 on average for a little over a year (with many days where I went over). I've lost 27 lbs and still was able to enjoy life and not ever feel deprived. I also don't go full scale on exercise. I try to get in 3-4 30 minutes workouts a week.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just for information sake:

The number of calories someone diets on and the results it produces are going to vary widely from person to person based on their ability to adhere to the diet and their energy needs.

And so it's seldom going to be an apples to apples comparison if you're looking to hear how person A did on their 1500 calorie diet vs how you might do.

If I eat 1500 calories I will lose weight rapidly and have problems adhering.

And likewise there are people who won't be able to lose at an identifiable rate on 1500 calories if they have a very low energy output.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    My journey began on June 21, 2015. I was turning 50 in September of 2015 and I wanted to do something special. I decided on a helicopter ride for my husband and I only and the pilot, of course lol. When I called to book my ride for the actual day of my birthday, I asked what their weight limit was and I was over the limit by 56.8 pounds. That was how it all started. It has been 18 months and I have lost 114 pounds and I feel great. On average, I exercise 4 hours per week. Sure, I could have lost more in 18 months, but I am realistic this time around and I am making this a lifestyle change, which means that I allowed some treats here and there, i.e., birthday, anniversary, vacations. Doing it this way is sustainable for me :smile:

I have 18 pounds to lose to get to my goal, which can take me another 4-5 months, and I am okay with that. I guesstimate 1 pound per week, which leaves room for some treats now and then, to keep me sane. Everyone is different and need to find what works best for them :smiley:

Wishing you a successful journey!
  • Isorkin
    Isorkin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Last year when I signed up on the site I weighted 220lbs (Male in 40s, 5' 10"). My ideal weight is 185lbs (stated by doctors). In order to maintain my weight I could eat no more then 2,200 calories a day assuming no exercise. I ate 1,500 calories a day (high protein foods, cut out a decent amount of sugar to no more then 15 grams a day, kept carbs at somewhat of a minimum) and exercised 500 calories a day on average. AT that rate my calorie deficit was 1,200. I am sure you are aware of the math but 1 pound is 3,500. At that rate I was loosing 1 pound every 2.9 days (3,500 divided by 1,200) which seem right because I lost a little over 2 pounds a week on average. In three months I was down to 190. Unfortunately I had arm surgery and was not allowed to exercise for two to three months, hence I am back here doing all over again which is fine. What I could tell you; reduce sugars significantly. A man should not have more then 37 grams a day, I believe a woman shouldn't have more then 25 grams. Once you reduce sugars you will be shocked how it affects your energy (assuming you are eating healthy), your desire to get to the gym (I go daily), and how the weight will keep coming off. Bottom line for me, I never depleted myself of nutrients the body needs, drank green tea and water only, went the gym daily, and it came off healthy. Last comment: 1,500 calories is very doable without starving. You just need to find the healthier filling foods low in sugar. good luck.