Calories vs portions

Options
I'm wanting to lose weight and it gets overwhelming counting every single calorie . Should I suck it up or just use portion control? What has everyone else done? Want to lose most weight fast as possible ☺️ ty

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to lose weight and it gets overwhelming counting every single calorie . Should I suck it up or just use portion control? What has everyone else done? Want to lose most weight fast as possible ☺️ ty

It's best to find your own way to keep in a calorie deficit, as then you will find it easier to stick to it. Log accurately (see the helpful stickied posts at the top of boards) and commit to it for 4-6 weeks. If, after that time, you want to change the way you're reaching that deficit you can try something else.

I would advise you to change your way of thinking though, "lose most weight fast as possible" may not help you in the long term.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    Portion control is counting calories. The whole reason to control your portion sizes is to keep your calories in check. You do not have to count calories to lose weight, but you do have to eat at a deficit. For most people it is hard to eat at a deficit if you don't know how many calories you are eating. Cutting down your portion sizes will help to lower your calories. But that may or may not put you in a deficit. If you really want to steadily lose weight (not quickly - that is not a healthy way to lose) then counting calories will be the easiest way to know that you are sticking to your deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by portion control...my portions of something are generally determined by how many calories are in that particular item.

I don't count calories, but I did for about 9 months to get a feel of what proper portions of X, Y, or Z are for me.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    Agree with Vin. Lots of people lose a lot of weight fast, but most don't keep it off. Think long term (I know, hard to do). making small but sustainable changes will be more successful in the end.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Counting calories is sooooo much easier with websites like My Fitness Pal. Once you get started (build up some favorites, and recipes) it's not hard at all.

If you want to go the "non-counting" route look for something like 21 Day Fix or Weight Watchers. You count containers or points. You don't need special containers for 21 Day Fix....all the info is out there on Pinterest. But Weight Watchers will cost money.

You won't learn nearly as much using either of those methods though. Maintenance takes work also. Sooner (or later) you'll need to deal with portion control for all your regular foods.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with you, the whole counting calories thing is a pain in the butt!! 100% agree!! BUT....it is what's needed if you need to get control of your food intake, it's really the only way. I've been doing this for years and as much as I hated it and got 'overwhelmed' by searching and logging stuff early on, I will say that it just becomes second nature. I do it now without even thinking about it, eat food or a meal, pick up my phone, 10 to 30 seconds its logged in the app; done!
    BTW - losing weight as fast as possible is usually weight that is lost the wrong way and often comes back, nutrition education and lifestyle changes are what work for the long term.
  • jesiniccole
    jesiniccole Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is only place at bottom I see something to reply so idk if I'm replying to one person or everyone that commented. I appreciate all the great ideas. I feel it's overwhelming say when ur out to eat or salad dressing or recipes u have to measure out 2 tablespoons or stuff like that. Super irritating
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    This is only place at bottom I see something to reply so idk if I'm replying to one person or everyone that commented. I appreciate all the great ideas. I feel it's overwhelming say when ur out to eat or salad dressing or recipes u have to measure out 2 tablespoons or stuff like that. Super irritating

Out to eat, you'd have to just estimate...but measuring and whatnot is how you actually properly portion things.
  • jesiniccole
    jesiniccole Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since I gained weight I found out my bp is high. So I'm trying to lose faster. I'm wondering to people that seem to workout and move more have slight wiggle room and can eat a little more!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Since I gained weight I found out my bp is high. So I'm trying to lose faster. I'm wondering to people that seem to workout and move more have slight wiggle room and can eat a little more!

Of course they can...the more you move, the more energy you expend...the more energy you expend, the more energy you can take in...calories are just a unit of energy measure.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options

I was about 300lbs, a smoker and had high blood pressure (amongst other things). After I lost 90 or so lbs, quit smoking, quit eating junk (and fastfood) while working out and eating healthy my BP went to normal. I did not lose weight quick but I did it in a good healthy way and am being greatly rewarded for it - life is good :-) I now run half marathons and mountain races.
    Definitely if you work out more you are able to eat a little more.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Portion control is not helpful for me because a small portion of chips, peanut butter etc can look small but be high calorie. For example I could have a small pbj sandwich and a banana for lunch and be 600 calories, but a huge ginormous sti fry or salad with veggies grilled chicken in a salad size serving bowl will be 300 calories which is multiple portions of veg.