Greyish-light Green slimy tint on steak

Options
I bought this steak 4 days ago and have had it refrigerated since then. I new it was slightly worse than my steaks in the past that had a slight brown shade to them. But this one had a very faint smell, nothing that would say "oh man do not eat that", just a different smell.

Long story short, cooked it till it was about medium-rare started eating it and the smell was still there and I could taste the smell too, it tasted different than the other 1,000's of steaks I've cooked. So I trashed it, but I definitely consumed some of it.

When can I expect to die from food poisoning (:D)? Or since it was cooked on the outside and still pink on the inside will I be fine?

Replies

• crazymama2two
    Options
    i suspect you have 2.32 hours left on this earth. i wish you well! :)
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Well you may be on the john for quite sometime...good luck with that.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    I bought this steak 4 days ago and have had it refrigerated since then. I new it was slightly worse than my steaks in the past that had a slight brown shade to them. But this one had a very faint smell, nothing that would say "oh man do not eat that", just a different smell.

Long story short, cooked it till it was about medium-rare started eating it and the smell was still there and I could taste the smell too, it tasted different than the other 1,000's of steaks I've cooked. So I trashed it, but I definitely consumed some of it.

When can I expect to die from food poisoning (:D)? Or since it was cooked on the outside and still pink on the inside will I be fine?

i have, however, vomited from reading this...go drink a buttload of water and flush that *kitten* out and dear god dont eat stuff liek that AGAIN!!
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    I recommend cooking any meat within a day or two of purchasing. If you won't be using it that quickly, freeze it. Hopefully you will survive untouched by food poisoning!
  • pumpkinmoccasin
    Options

i have, however, vomited from reading this...go drink a buttload of water and flush that *kitten* out and dear god dont eat stuff liek that AGAIN!!

Felt the bile rising myself, that's pretty gross :C Nowhere in my mind would I be like "Hell, this is probably still okay!"

I hope you're alright, just uh... take it easy and make sure you're not out of toilet paper
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    beware of ecoli. yuck. please dont do that again. if your steak looks anything other than juicy red, dont eat it!! lol
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Please, please PLEASE read her advice and TAKE it, surely there's more food in the house than a disgusting green steak? Blah:sick: SO glad I'm done eating for the day as the description and mind picture of rancid old, outdated food is nasty & smelly and ah, yea, maybe you shouldn't have eaten even a bite.

Typically if it smells you run it to the trash faster than you've ever run in your life. Frankly I throw it out way before it smells, you can usually tell by the color and slime even before opening. :sick: :sick: :sick:

OMG, I have to go vomit now, no clue why I opened up this thread the word slimy should have stopped me!!:noway: :sad:
    I recommend cooking any meat within a day or two of purchasing. If you won't be using it that quickly, freeze it. Hopefully you will survive untouched by food poisoning!
    Great rules to go by!
    Light green, and by light I mean very light and can be mistaken for a shade of grey light. It probably wasn't even green.
    Grey isn't a great color for food either... :ohwell:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    lol!! I'm sure you will survive.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    Why are you buying steak that is normally a light brown shade?
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Light green, and by light I mean very light and can be mistaken for a shade of grey light. It probably wasn't even green.

Anyways, I had to try it, I'm poor and spent a lot of money on the steaks lol. Guess I just have to buy fewer steaks or freeze them as mentioned earlier. :(
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Gross!!! Usually if a food doesn't look or smell right I don't eat it. I hope you don't get too sick.
  • megankayden
    megankayden Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen before too, it still has a slight smell, every bite I took I could taste it and it grossed me out...but I survived and nothing bad happened..I will just never do it again because of smell.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    in all honesty, im sure you'll be fine. if you properly cooked it, you killed all the harmful bacteria that may have been living in that green slimy beautiful piece of meat of yours. goodluck. :)
  • dg09
    Options
    I have had this happen before too, it still has a slight smell, every bite I took I could taste it and it grossed me out...but I survived and nothing bad happened..I will just never do it again because of smell.

I hope this is me. I hate getting sick.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Could have been the first stages of aging. Had you scraped the outer "slime" off, the smell and taste might have gone as well, and you would have had a more tender, flavorful aged beef. Wiki aged beef, both dry and wet, and see if that was the case. If so, you are still supposed to scrape off the greenish bacteria before cooking. But those bacteria create enzymes that make the beef super delish until that point.
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i suspect you have 2.32 hours left on this earth. i wish you well! :)

lol...you're funny.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Haha, this is funny.
    Being poor is not really a reason to poison yourself, ya know?
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    You're fine. You killed whatever was on the outside.
    People pay good money for moist-aged meat in central Europe. Kind of an acquired taste I'm sure you'd agree :) ?
  • dg09
    Options
    I think it would be considered wet-aged. There wasn't a film on the steak that looked like it could come off, just lightly slimy.

I think I'll be okay though I only took a few bites... probably .25 ounces worth, I had it boiling in some spice/sauces for about 7-ish minutes on each side.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I remember my grandpa soaking slightly questionable meat in white vinegar to kill the bacteria and rinsing it well before cooking. I don't recall any taste or smell issues...or bathroom issues after eatting it.