Stevia extract??

Options
Thoughts opinions experience with it? I'm talking pure stevia not that trivia crap.

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the way stevia tastes. blek. Had such high hopes for it so many years ago, it seems very healthy to use in place of sugar, but ick ick ick.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I have been using stevia for 14 years now. It took a little time to get over the after taste, but now there is no after taste for me. I love my stevia and could never go back to using sugar. I use the liquid, I find sometimes the powder doesn't blend as nice and leaves a film in my mouth.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Can't remember for sure so don't quote me but got to make sure you find the stevia leaf extract and the stem is what causes a bitter taste. I order mine from https://www.nudenicotine.com/product/stevia-solutions/ Which is a website for making eliquids in vaping however the sweeteners/flavorings can be ingested.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    This is the one I use:

nunaturals-21.jpg

Tastes like pure sugar to me. I highly recommend it. But that's if you like vanilla as well.
  • buckmaster299
    buckmaster299 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses. Yea I'm sorry Wanting true stevia extract not this crap they try to pass off in the stores. My end goal is to wean myself off of sugar completely and use it as sole sweetener but I hear just as you all said it has a slightly bitter taste. Have to get over that first. Lol. Thanks for the insight. :-)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My local community store has ground fresh stevia leaves. Very strong but completely unprocessed and no chemicals added. Definitely has that stevia taste to it. But it works. If you stay away from sugar enough you will find yourself not even wanting stevia in things. Like I stopped adding it to my morning tea.
  • buckmaster299
    buckmaster299 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good to know. Sweets r my one weakness that I can't seem to break. Once I do I'll be better off lol
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    This is the one I use:

nunaturals-21.jpg

Tastes like pure sugar to me. I highly recommend it. But that's if you like vanilla as well.

I use this all the time in my coffee, oatmeal etc. I love it! Not bitter at all. I love stevia.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A little bit is enough! I find that using only 2-3 drops of stevia per cup of tea is sufficient. Any more than that, and you get that bad aftertaste.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The stevia works by tickling the taste receptors. I associate the tingling aftertaste with cinnamon or spearmint. So I work with the aftertaste and use it in baking that also calls for cinnamon.

I also am experimenting with the stevia drops with vanilla.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Also wanted to add this video on artificial sweetener not sure your choice of stevia but I find this informative on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dod6bUZYz4w
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of brands and the only one I've found that truly doesn't have an aftertaste is Kal. I use the powder, haven't tried the liquid so i can't vouch for that.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add this video on artificial sweetener not sure your choice of stevia but I find this informative on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dod6bUZYz4w

Stevia in it's true form (meaning the leaf that is ground) is not artificial.

I have yet to try the stevia leaf itself, but personally so far I have found nothing that doesn't have that funky aftertaste.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've never used the drops, but I use the PureVia packets in my morning coffee, and I really enjoy it. They also sell a liquid, but I have not tried it yet.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I use stevia extract from Trader Joes. I have no trouble with the flavor, it can taste a little alcoholy if you use to much, thats what an extract is. I just use 4 tiny drops in a 12 oz coffee.
  • awkwardbae
    awkwardbae Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Erythritol-Natural-Sweetener-2-5-lbs-1134-g/44499

I use erythritol, and LOVE it. Pure stevia left a terrible aftertaste for me, but this one even though somewhat expensive is worth it. I mostly mix it with cocoa powder to make hot chocolate with almost 0 calories but I think it'd work great with baking as well, I'll try it next time I order.