How to get rid of love-handles

Options
Anyone have any tips, situps don't help much.

Replies

• lldiedericks
    lldiedericks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Weird how it had always been said that women should eat 2000 calories a day and men 2500.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Weird how it had always been said that women should eat 2000 calories a day and men 2500.

This isn't true. I'd gain if I ate 2000 calories as it is 300 over my TDEE (if I am sedentary).

Have you set up your mfp diet profile yet? How many calories does it give you?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You only get rid of love handles by losing weight overall. The fat will come off where it wants to come off and there is nothing you can do (exercise etc.) to target weight loss in specific areas.

Men have a higher calorie burn (in general) then women, but those numbers really aren't true. Here (MFP) the lower limits are set at 1200 for women and 1500 for men, but the actual amount to eat varies from that based on height, weight, age and activity level.

Fill out your profile and see what MFP gives you. Try it for a while (say 2 months) and see what your weight is doing.
  • lldiedericks
    lldiedericks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will. It gave me 1300 that's so much less than I anticipated
    I try to gym atleast 5 days a week. So much harder than i thought, its been almost six months and lost only 3kgs.
    They say drinking too much water is also not good, is that true?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks I will. It gave me 1300 that's so much less than I anticipated
    I try to gym atleast 5 days a week. So much harder than i thought, its been almost six months and lost only 3kgs.
    They say drinking too much water is also not good, is that true?

I usually just drink to thirst and I know a lot of water can flush out your electrolytes, which may give you headaches but it would depend on how much water is 'too much'.

What are your stats? Age, height, starting weight and goal weight? 1300 seems OK, but it depends on how aggressive that goal is for you.

Are you weighing your food and using accurate entries?

While 1 pound a month is slow, if you don't have a lot to lose, that would be why it's going slow.

Edit: Formatting is not my friend

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    It's techno possible, but very hard to drink too much water- most people drink too little. Water has no calories and isn't causing your love handles so drink plenty of water.

Sit ups don't do anything but increase your core muscle strength.

The way to lose love handles is to lose body fat. The way to lose body fat is to eat fewer calories than you burn. You burn a certain amount of calories just existing, plus more with daily activity & exercise. So exercise can help get rid of excess boy fat faster, but the most important thing is to be in a caloric deficit so your body pulls from you fat stores for energy since it's not getting enough calories from food.
  • Prolifics2016
    Prolifics2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best way to lose love handles quick is to do the plank. Google it. Start 1 minute a day then increase to 3 minutes if you can. Great for lots of muscles and also core exercise. I have a 6 pack at 50 years old doing this for 3 months. Results are quick nothing else beats it. I am a fitness instructor. Good luck
  • shmemma94
    shmemma94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had some luck with side planks and russian twist excersizes
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Best way to lose love handles quick is to do the plank. Google it. Start 1 minute a day then increase to 3 minutes if you can. Great for lots of muscles and also core exercise. I have a 6 pack at 50 years old doing this for 3 months. Results are quick nothing else beats it. I am a fitness instructor. Good luck

this just shook my belief in "fitness instructors"
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Lose weight and do dumbell side leans and ab work.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

I don't understand the logic behind this. If you are strengthening your core, you will experience some hypertrophy, which you acknowledge. How will making your core larger help with making your core smaller?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any tips, situps don't help much.

Calorie deficit is the only way!
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Here I wasted all this time losing 90lbs when I could've just done the plankz ;) lol

Overall weight loss is the only answer OP, strength training can improve body comp but you can't retain a large volume of fat and just shift it somewhere more desirable because you do an isolated muscle exercise- you have to lean out:

lfct5c2jrhiu.jpg

It is absolutely doable but the level of leanness you'll need to achieve to rid yourself of love handles may vary. I had to lose a lot to be done with them- no planking though lmao

Amazing progress!!!! So inspirational.