How many Oregonians knew this act on a bicycle was illegal?

Options
I had heard a while back that it was illegal to ride a bicycle in Oregon while standing on the pedals. I couldn't believe it was true. It was noted in an article in a case of a police officer using excessive force and claiming this law was the probable cause for stopping the cyclist.
Well, it is true that Oregon has such a stupid law on the books.
Do they put police on the side of mountain roads frequented by cyclists so they can reach their ticket quota?

814.470: Failure to use bicycle seat; penalty.

(1) A person commits the offense of failure to use a bicycle seat if the person is operating a bicycle and the person rides other than upon or astride a permanent and regular seat attached to the bicycle.
http://bikeportland.org/resources/bicyclelaws

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Would one not be considered "astride" the seat while climbing? That could make for an interesting court case.....
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah, with the "astride" bit - that sounds more like you really just have to be on a bike with a seat. For instance, one of the guys I work with rides mountain bikes - one of his bikes has no seat.

That, or it simply means you can't be doing certain tricks on your bike. Which actually makes sense, from a safety POV, I'd say.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Would one not be considered "astride" the seat while climbing? That could make for an interesting court case.....

Standing while pedaling a bicycle, which has a permanent and regular seat attached to the bicycle, would have that person "astride" said seat and would be legal. The law clearly does not outlaw standing while pedaling, it outlaws a bicycle that does not have a seat. Unless that person is standing "sidesaddle" or coasting while both legs were on the same side of the bike or, perhaps, some other unconventional mounting of a bike. That would be illegal in Oregon. Might be a good idea to outlaw that. You could sit sidesaddle as you then would be "upon" the seat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Every state has their stupid law...or two.

http://ijr.com/2014/12/222618-50-state-laws/

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-ridiculous-law-in-every-state-2014-2

As a 20-year police officer, I cannot imagine a circumstance where I would stop someone for standing on their pedals. Every vocation has its a-holes, obviously.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    All that law says is that you have to have a seat on your bike...standing on the pedals would be "astride"
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    PO may be an a-hole, but he got his PC Terry stop. I hope and pray some harmless citizen was able to go home to his family that night.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Standing while pedaling a bicycle, which has a permanent and regular seat attached to the bicycle, would have that person "astride" said seat and would be legal. The law clearly does not outlaw standing while pedaling, it outlaws a bicycle that does not have a seat. Unless that person is standing "sidesaddle" or coasting while both legs were on the same side of the bike or, perhaps, some other unconventional mounting of a bike. That would be illegal in Oregon. Might be a good idea to outlaw that. You could sit sidesaddle as you then would be "upon" the seat.

This is a common method of dismounting a bike quickly in a triathlon or cyclocross race
  • pondee629
    edited December 2016
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »

This is a common method of dismounting a bike quickly in a triathlon or cyclocross race

I guess triathletes should be careful in Oregon ;-). Unless the State would make an exception for races.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    As noted, a police officer claimed his reason for stopping someone was not sitting in the seat. So clearly someone is not getting the correct interpretation of the law to the LEO's.
    But then, there are a lot of obscure laws passed simply to manufacture probable cause to generate revenue. :D
  • pondee629
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    As noted, a police officer claimed his reason for stopping someone was not sitting in the seat. So clearly someone is not getting the correct interpretation of the law to the LEO's.
    But then, there are a lot of obscure laws passed simply to manufacture probable cause to generate revenue. :D

Would not be the first time a policed officer used a B.S. reason to stop someone. Or the "not sitting on the seat" was a little more reckless than was let on.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    So that is where all the police are in Oregon...out catching cyclist that are not sitting on their seats.

I lived in Portland for a while...rarely did I ever see a police officer out patrolling. I think however almost everything is legal in Portland so no need for them.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I live in Oregon and bicyclists rule the road in Portland. Not so much in more rural areas of the state where ranchers are still running their cattle through town on the way to the grazing lands. :o

I know this is bit off topic (bicycle laws), but thanks for the opportunity to vent.

Wanting to be more like Portland our state capitol, Salem, just took out an entire lane on one of the busiest streets downtown to make it a bicycle only lane. Ridiculous planning as traffic is now backed up for blocks and blocks during rush hours. It's been months now and I have yet to see ONE person riding in that bicycle lane. I know they want to be a bike friendly city, but they needed better traffic use studies before spending taxpayer dollars.

• MichaelJSwann
    MichaelJSwann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Maybe look up the definition of astride. It means with a leg on each side, so standing on the pedals is legal when the bike has a seat and is not an offence.