Decadent Keto Dark Chocolate Milk

Options
brentoid
brentoid Posts: 2 Member
Ingredients:

Hershey's Cocoa powder Special Dark
1 tbsp (2 net carbs)

Sugar free maple syrup
2 tbsp (I used Maple Grove farms sugar free maple flavor which ends up being less than one net carb. You may need to use more to your liking but 1/4 a cup is just one net carb)

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
10 ounces (I used simple truth brand, which is one net carb)

So that totals about 4 net carbs. You can use the regular Cocoa if you're not a fan of dark chocolate. Here's the best way to go about it...

I used an electric shake blender (the battery operated one with the plastic 'blade) but any blender will do. Poured in the almond milk, then the maple syrup, then the chocolate while the blender ran. Let it blend for about a minute until it gets dark brown. I suppose a regular blender would have more power so you could just throw everything in at once. With my blender it didn't quite get all of the Cocoa mixed and some little bits were at the top but it didn't taste chalky at all. It was very smooth, very rich, and perfectly sweet and chocolaty. I let each sip roll around in my mouth and never once had a weird aftertaste or undertaste. It was so good and I was well under my carbs so I made two. It's the first real chocolate taste I've had on a Keto diet EVER. As I've decided to Keto for life now, I'm experimenting with everything. I tried several sweeteners and nothing worked as well with the Cocoa as using sugar free maple syrup. You totally lose the maple but it enriches the chocolate flavor. Let me know if you try it and what you think.

Replies

• RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the sugar free maple syrup. What's the replacement sweetener?

I've been flirting with keto, but I'm not totally committed (yet), definitely aiming for low carb/high fat/medium protein diet right now. My biggest problem with keto is that I can't stand any sort of sugar substitute (even if it's "natural", stevia makes me want to throw up. Sucralose, truvia, aspertame, everything I've tried is yuck! My palette just can't handle it).

Anyways, wondering if you know exactly what type of sweetener the sugar free maple syrup uses. Does it leave an after taste?

Thanks for the recipe!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Try this:

Devilishly Naughty Hot Chocolate to Die For

3 servings

2 cups heavy cream
    12 oz organic 70% dark chocolate
    2 Tbsp. grass fed butter
    .5 tsp cinnamon
    .25 tsp clove
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    optional: 3 oz. (2 shots) bourbon

Melt the chocolate, butter and spices in a double boiler, whisk til smooth. Whisk in the cream. Warm to drinking temperature. Be careful not to 'break' it. Serve with or without bourbon. Not sure of the carbs but it is GOOOOOD!!
  • SunshineHardcore
    SunshineHardcore Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I've been flirting with keto, but I'm not totally committed (yet), definitely aiming for low carb/high fat/medium protein diet right now. My biggest problem with keto is that I can't stand any sort of sugar substitute (even if it's "natural", stevia makes me want to throw up. Sucralose, truvia, aspertame, everything I've tried is yuck! My palette just can't handle it).

Anyways, wondering if you know exactly what type of sweetener the sugar free maple syrup uses. Does it leave an after taste?

Thanks for the recipe!

Try xylitol or ethrytol!!! I switched to xylitol myself years ago after buying a little to make toothpaste with & being absolutely shocked by how much like sugar it tastes. I don't like any of the other things you listed either. But xylitol was a complete game changer for me. (I plan to try ethrytol next month cause its lower in cals) Because its a sugar alcohol, the carbs get canceled out & they're totally keto friendly.

I buy mine of amazon, way cheaper than locally. Try it!!

(oh, cautionary note. Don't jump in & consume a ton of it your first day, the gut has to adapt to it. I started with a teaspoon or so my first day in my coffee & then gradually increased, never had an issue. My son had some cookies I made with it (ok, a lot of cookies) without adapting. he spent the night on the living room floor clutching his gut with cramps from hell. don't do that lol) I was able to eat the cookies w/out a problem because I'd gotten used to it already.
  • springthing01
    springthing01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a winner..! Will have to try the maple syrup trick
  • 65percentsolution
    65percentsolution Posts: 18 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Just a pedantic heads up, if they're claiming that something is "sugar free maple syrup" then they're making a fraudulent claim. They're probably calling it "sugar free maple flavoured syrup" or some such thing. Maple syrup is the boiled down sap from sugar maple trees. It IS mostly sugar - very good tasting sugar, but still sugar. If they claim it's "sugar free", then it most certainly isn't "maple syrup" in any form.

As for which sweetener they use in the various imitation syrups, it'll depend on the brand. I've seen everything from sorbitol (most common) to stevia in the ingredients list. Just check the ingredients list of the brands you have available.

A note about sweeteners with keto. There is another option, which is to wean the body off its addiction to sweet things, and just avoid the whole "which sweetener should I use". In France, for instance, many dessert recipes contain little to no sugar, but are instead heavy in butter and cream. Admittedly, trying to avoid carbs from starches (ie: bread) in France is insanely difficult, but many recipes do avoid sugar at least. I'm still working on how to make starch-free pastries filled with whipped cream. Experimental subjects seem somewhat happy...