one week in ... scale going in wrong direction

Options
Trying to get back on track @ 55 yo. and 243#.. Checked my TDEE and it seemed very high at 3,200 calories per day to maintain. I set my intake at 2,200 on MFP app and been staying right at it for 6 days now. I have been following a 12 week Transformation plan from BB dot com. I have been hit the macros real close as well.

My question; at day 6 I have seen a 2# increase on the scale. Should I cut calories even lower?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If we have your height we can help you check your TDEE. Also what is your day job outside of the BB workouts?

How do you feel after 6 days? Do you feel hungry all the time? Do you feel like you could get away with eating a little less? Etc.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    Options
    What does the MFP calculation give you as a daily calorie goal?
  • rwhoffart
    rwhoffart Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    If we have your height we can help you check your TDEE. Also what is your day job outside of the BB workouts?

How do you feel after 6 days? Do you feel hungry all the time? Do you feel like you could get away with eating a little less? Etc.

Height is 5' 11" ... I have been getting a little hungry before the next meal. I could probably cut another 200 or so.
  • rwhoffart
    Options
    What does the MFP calculation give you as a daily calorie goal?

It gave me 2,200 ... I was wondering if 'I'm in the ball park.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Did you just start a new workout? If so, your muscles are likely retaining water. It'll take a couple of weeks for them to release it. Give it time.

The TDEE sounds pretty accurate to me. My husband weighed about the same as you when I started losing weight and is in his late 40s. That's roughly his TDEE if he's lightly active but doesn't work out. (He can hit 4,000 calories burned on a more active day.) At least, that's what his FitBit says. He doesn't count calories so we can't verify it, but he's lost more than 10 pounds without trying just by me counting calories (and aiming to get 10,000 steps/day plus 12 hours of "250 steps" to keep the FitBit happy). :-)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, don't get discouraged! 6 days is a drop in the bucket. If you eat at or below the calories it gives you, you'll start losing.
  • rwhoffart
    edited December 2016
    Options
    JoyMaillet wrote: »
    just this

@JoyMallet ... Thanks, love the closing statement!

• trwww
    trwww Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    rwhoffart wrote: »
    Trying to get back on track @ 55 yo. and 243#.. Checked my TDEE and it seemed very high at 3,200 calories per day to maintain. I set my intake at 2,200 on MFP app and been staying right at it for 6 days now. I have been following a 12 week Transformation plan from BB dot com. I have been hit the macros real close as well.

Where did you get 3,200 calories from? According to tdeecalculator.net your maintenance calories are 2,350. So eating 2,200 calories you're basically eating at maintenance.

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=male&age=55&lbs=243&in=71&act=1.2&f=1

You should eat only 1,850 calories a day to lose a pound a week. If you want to continue eating 2,200, you need to do a total of an hour of fairly rigorous exercise per day to burn the extra 500 calories.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Lower? No way. Let your body adjust
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    OP said he WASN'T sedentary
    trwww wrote: »

Where did you get 3,200 calories from? According to tdeecalculator.net your maintenance calories are 2,350. So eating 2,200 calories you're basically eating at maintenance.

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=male&age=55&lbs=243&in=71&act=1.2&f=1

You should eat only 1,850 calories a day to lose a pound a week. If you want to continue eating 2,200, you need to do a total of an hour of fairly rigorous exercise per day to burn the extra 500 calories.

• rwhoffart
    Options
    trwww wrote: »

Thanks for the reply ... no not sedentary. Hitting the gym at least 6 days per week. Trying to follow a transformation plan from BB dot com.

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=55&g=male&lbs=243&in=71&act=1.55&bf=&f=1