How do I stop binge eating?

Options
I can't seem to stop binge eating. I was doing so well for the last two weeks but it all completely fell apart this weekend. Binged on so much food that I literally thought I would be sick. I am feeling really mad at myself for messing up so badly. I am already really unhappy with how I look and feel even worse now. I need some tips for how to stop binge eating? Any advice or tips that people use to stop a binge before it begins . . . I really want to get this under control before the holidays and before the new year.

Replies

• lemonjune
    lemonjune Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One bad weekend doesn't completely cancel out 2 weeks of progress! It can be hard when you want something so bad that even one off day feels like the end of it all, but try to focus on the positives and be proud of yourself for the good stuff.

What helps me the most is keeping busy as much as possible so I don't really have time to binge. Chewing gum as much as I can, or brushing my teeth and flossing so that the minty taste acts as a bit of a deterrent, and trying to limit the amount of foods kept around that are easy to binge on, so anything that's kind of grab-and-eat. Keeping your hands busy helps too; if I have some down time and I'm going to watch Netflix, I know that I'll really want to eat while I watch, so I'll do something like knit or paint my nails. It helps if, before you eat anything, you stop and ask yourself if you're really hungry, but that takes some getting used to before it becomes a habit.

Also, understand that it's perfectly natural to slip up once in a while, but that one day isn't going to offset all the good work you've done -- not in terms of your habits, and not in terms of your weight or health.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.

You could probably still be under your weekly calorie limit, and it might not make a difference to your overall weight loss.

Good luck.
  • lady_ghost
    lady_ghost Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Increase protien I the two protien shakes along with chicken and salmon and now I don't even feel tempted to feel on my diet
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you aiming for? I agree that overrestricting can certainly add to the likelihood of binging. If that's not the case, is there some emotional stuff going on? That can make it difficult to stick to your planned diet. Another factor to consider is if you are close to TOM. The week before, I will have 2-3 days that I just can't seem to eat enough. See if you can figure out what contributed to your choices this weekend. That will help you for next time. And don't beat yourself up for it. Guilt and shame should never be part of this experience. I know it usually is, but practice letting it go. It will make things easier for you in future.
  • kimmykim92
    kimmykim92 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! Nutmegoreo, I have it set at trying to lose 1.5lbs per week, which gives me 1,560 cals per day. I definitely feel stressed out at work and have some self-esteem issues so emotionally there is probably a reason I am overeating/binge eating. I feel like I eat a lot as a reward to myself and use it as time to 'let off some steam', so I do have to work on that.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    That's a tough place to be coming from. Is there something else you could do to relieve the stress? I find kickboxing very therapeutic and swimming helps when I have decisions that need to be made. Unfortunately swimming makes me want to eat my arm. Keep tabs on what's going on when these things happen. See if you can either eliminate, or reduce the influence of any triggers. It isn't easy, but it does get better with time and practice.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Also - really focus on that over full feeling after a binge. The times I binged, I was so full I felt like crap, tired, lethargic, and on the verge of feeling like I could vomit.

If you can focus on how crappy you feel after a binge and help your mind associate a binge with feeling bad may help you resist going overboard.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you think you may have a disorder with this, I think it would be a good idea to seek professional help.
  • foen_i
    foen_i Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    On the risk of sounding like an *kitten* once again: Disziplin. If you feel like eating once your calories are exhausted... just don't. Eating is nothing that happens to you.
    If you really feel bad now, work it off again. Calculate the calories of your binging and put in an hour of daily cardio until you are back on track. That is how I deal with binge drinking nights. Take responsibility
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My binge eating is directly related to stress. I've taken many steps to help reduce stress in my life as well as learn to handle it better.

This year I had a lot of bad stuff happen to me, including some injuries that prevented me from working out. I started binge eating again and put on 30 pounds in 6 months (after having lost over 60 the past few years). I've been working hard and lost 20ish of that already, but was still struggling with the binge eating. I forced myself into a gym routine (which I re-fell in love with after hating it for a week or so). And I also am detoxing from social media and taking other steps to de-stress my life. Feeling so much more in control, less urge to binge, I have even tasted a few things and gone right back on track without beating myself up about it.

Your triggers may be different. Talking to a professional is always an option.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I used to binge. Things that helped:

- stop seeing foods as "good" or "bad". It only sets up the "bad" ones on a pedestal and encourages you to think "I'd feel so much better if I could only have some of that". I gave myself permission to eat any kind of food and the "bad" ones lost their glamour.
    - avoid restrictive food rules. Rules are there to be broken. It's just human nature. Instead of rules, have intentions. Sometimes you follow your intentions, sometimes you don't, and that's OK.
    - stop beating yourself up over binges. This is a hard one, but it's so important. For me, binges are a mixture of genuine hunger, rebellion and a self-destructive impulse. Berating myself for them feeds the cycle. Instead, think "so I ate that. Tomorrow I will eat something else". Work on being neutral. It's like a child tantrumming - don't feed the drama.
    - focus on enjoying everything you put in your mouth. Binges are not about enjoyment and this kind of positive attitude helped to weaken the cycle for me.
    - make sure your diet has enough calories and is satisfying enough. If I started binging again now, I would look first to my diet, as they can genuinely just be to do with hunger and deprivation. My advice is to reduce your rate of loss to one pound or half a pound a week, at least until you have made a bit of progress with the binges - being on a low calorie allowance will make it much harder to tackle them effectively.

ALL of this. ALL of it.

I never had a problem with binging until I got down to near goal weight and over-restricted. I have, over time, found all of this to be true in trying to get past the urges.

What a great post.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Also - really focus on that over full feeling after a binge. The times I binged, I was so full I felt like crap, tired, lethargic, and on the verge of feeling like I could vomit.

If you can focus on how crappy you feel after a binge and help your mind associate a binge with feeling bad may help you resist going overboard.

Not gonna lie, I have successfully used my experience the next day with the um, smallest room in the house, to avoid a binge. It's not been pleasant dealing with that much food making its exit.
  • amandaiams
    amandaiams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a lot when I'm bored. I get munchies watching TV or just sitting at home with nothing to do. I've tried getting rid of foods that are high in calories and low in nutrition. For example, I had a sweet tooth last night, so I ate an apple with peanut butter. The peanut butter was prolly high in calories, but at least the apple was SOMETHING healthy (and I needed to incorporate another fruit into my diet) and the peanut butter kept anymore hunger at bay.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have noticed when I skip breakfast I am really hungry at lunch and want to eat more. So I also try to have meals before I get real hungry . Gives me more control to eat my numbers and stop ..

Sometime I just want a big meal .. just need to feel full .. I just add veggies to the meal and eat away till I'm full .. apples help too pretty filling ..

Good luck
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I used to binge. Things that helped:

- stop seeing foods as "good" or "bad". It only sets up the "bad" ones on a pedestal and encourages you to think "I'd feel so much better if I could only have some of that". I gave myself permission to eat any kind of food and the "bad" ones lost their glamour.
    - avoid restrictive food rules. Rules are there to be broken. It's just human nature. Instead of rules, have intentions. Sometimes you follow your intentions, sometimes you don't, and that's OK.
    - stop beating yourself up over binges. This is a hard one, but it's so important. For me, binges are a mixture of genuine hunger, rebellion and a self-destructive impulse. Berating myself for them feeds the cycle. Instead, think "so I ate that. Tomorrow I will eat something else". Work on being neutral. It's like a child tantrumming - don't feed the drama.
    - focus on enjoying everything you put in your mouth. Binges are not about enjoyment and this kind of positive attitude helped to weaken the cycle for me.
    - make sure your diet has enough calories and is satisfying enough. If I started binging again now, I would look first to my diet, as they can genuinely just be to do with hunger and deprivation. My advice is to reduce your rate of loss to one pound or half a pound a week, at least until you have made a bit of progress with the binges - being on a low calorie allowance will make it much harder to tackle them effectively.

I absolutely love this. I have actually been maintaining for a few years now, but still struggle with occasional binging. I know the why's for the most part, but it's a good reminder for me to hear someone else say it.