Anyone use a spiralizer?

2»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I have a Vegeti but want to get a crank one instead of the hand held model. I do like the spirals, as a texture thing. I like stretching a serving of bean pasta with them. I'd also like to try some other vegetables, like turnips because I think they'd be amazing.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    We have one and we use it on a regular basis. We are finding it a fun way to deal with many vegetables. Though I admit it's novelty has worn off a bit and I think we end up using it more in summer (which says more about us that the spiralizer)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    We bought the cheap one. We use it. Definitely more during summer, but we do use it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I have a Vegeti but want to get a crank one instead of the hand held model. I do like the spirals, as a texture thing. I like stretching a serving of bean pasta with them. I'd also like to try some other vegetables, like turnips because I think they'd be amazing.

The mushroom turnip risotto from inspiralized is so good! We're making a butternut squash gratin as a side for Christmas - spiralized, of course.
  • I don't use mine a ton, but I like it. I'm diabetic, so I try to avoid pasta, even tho I love it.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but have used it twice for zucchini/summer squash noodle.
    My husband likes them fine too, so I think we'll keep using it. After draining in a colander I pat them with paper
    towels to remove a little more of the liquid.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    I like mine okay when I use it, but I don't have a dishwasher so it's a *kitten* to clean. It's definitely more fun to look at, but the effort isn't necessarily worth the return when I can just chop veggies with a knife. Also, I bought a spiralized veggie cookbook but it just hasn't really inspired me to cook from it because it's just veggie noodles substituted for wheat noodles which I could figure out myself.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I have the one with the cups you attach to the counter and I just douse the whole thing under the kitchen tap spray. If there are any stubborn bits, a quick scrub with a brush gets them off.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    @Queenmunchy -- will you please post the recipe for The butternut squash gratin?
  • Queenmunchy
    nowine4me wrote: »
    @Queenmunchy -- will you please post the recipe for The butternut squash gratin?

@nowine4me http://www.skinnytaste.com/butternut-squash-gratin/
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    I use it to mix veggies in with pasta, I don't eat it plain as "pasta", but yeah it's a neat way to incorporate veggies aside from chopping them.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    I used it for a carrot, and it got stuck... lol. Tried using it as a noodle substitute and it sucked... can vegetables really be a good substitute for pasta...?!? I'm leaning towards ''no'', but I'm willing to try new things, if anyone has any feedback.
  • ReGina51363
    ReGina51363 Posts: 13 Member
    I have the vegetti with the crank, and I like it. I don't find it difficult to clean, it comes apart easily and I just wash it in the sink with the rest of the dishes (just be careful with the blades).
  • Queenmunchy
    @healthypelican - I like it as another way to base my meals around veggies. Have you checked out the recipes on https://inspiralized.com/ ?

We really like the turnip risotto, the butternut squash with pancetta and spinach, and a few other awesome recipes. The butternut squash gratin and Kung pao zoodles from skinnytaste are great too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited December 2016
    I used it for a carrot, and it got stuck... lol. Tried using it as a noodle substitute and it sucked... can vegetables really be a good substitute for pasta...?!? I'm leaning towards ''no'', but I'm willing to try new things, if anyone has any feedback.

You have to use really fat carrots and zucchini. I spiralized carrot for a thai salad but I don't think it works as a pasta sub. Zucchini is the best for that as it has some bite and the noodly mouth feel. Just don't cook it too much. When you're replacing your starch with a veg you'll have some calories to play around with too so add some extra fat (cheese or oil of some kind, avocado I dunno whatever you feel like) to make sure the meal is still satisfying.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    I bought one because my mandolin wasn't quite making noodles the way I wanted it to. I've used it a few times to make "zoodles" for a low carb pasta replacement in a few meal preps that I've done. personally I love it, great flavor and it makes the whole process much smoother with little mess and keeps my fingers more intact since I always seem to cut myself using the mandolin lol.

• CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,842 Member
    I have a hand-held one and love the veggies, but its a lot of work and haven't used it in a while. However, my next one will be one that is easier to use.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    I use mine a lot. I absolutely love pasta but hate the calories, and my partner is recovering from an ED so pasta is not something we want on the menu. Every time we have a craving, we make zuchinni noodles with a basic tomato sauce. It's kind of unreal that you can have a bigger portion of "noodles" with less than half the calories!

I haven't tried it for much else but I will but I will now that some links have been posted above!
  • EJW55EJW55
    EJW55EJW55 Posts: 2 Member
    I the Kitchen Aid attachment...had a hand held one but would not do a fat squash...it works great...
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    I use the handheld vegetti but have my eyes on getting a decent crank-handle one. I use it quite frequently, though it's a pain to use with any vegetable other than zucchini/cucumber (I like making carrot noodles).