21 Day Fix Question

Options
So I just got the portion containers in the mail and I'm doing the calculation to see how many of each I should eat in a day...but it seems like so many more calories (hundreds more) than the calculation on MFP. I am hesitant to eat that much since I've been trying to eat 1,300 on MyFitnessPal and 21 Day Fix is recommending 1,850. Has anyone else had this same issue? Should I not be concerned about eating that much more?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If 1,850 is still a deficit for you, you will lose weight. If it isn't, you won't. How did you get your 1,300 goal?
  • niklong
    niklong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If 1,850 is still a deficit for you, you will lose weight. If it isn't, you won't. How did you get your 1,300 goal?

I went in to MFP and entered my info under "Goals" and set it at losing 2 lbs/week. It set my calorie intake at 1,240 but I felt like that was kinda low so I decided to set my goal at 1,300.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food to know that it's about 1300 calories? People in general tend to underestimate how many calories they are eating and overestimate how many calories they are burning.

If you are going from not measuring to using the portion containers, you may end up eating fewer calories that way if your 1300 was actually more than that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    niklong wrote: »
    So I just got the portion containers in the mail and I'm doing the calculation to see how many of each I should eat in a day...but it seems like so many more calories (hundreds more) than the calculation on MFP. I am hesitant to eat that much since I've been trying to eat 1,300 on MyFitnessPal and 21 Day Fix is recommending 1,850. Has anyone else had this same issue? Should I not be concerned about eating that much more?

My Fitness Pal gives you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise, I'm guessing 21 Day Fix assumes exercise (since your kit comes with workouts).

If you logged workouts in MFP you would earn additional calories. Pick one method & stick with it. Eat 1850 and don't log workouts, OR eat 1300 + exercise calories (maybe 50-75%) because estimates are sometimes generous.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I went in to MFP and entered my info under "Goals" and set it at losing 2 lbs/week. It set my calorie intake at 1,240 but I felt like that was kinda low so I decided to set my goal at 1,300.

Ahhh.....2 pounds a week. MFP uses that in it's calculations......did you select 2 pounds a week with 21 Day Fix (or more likely)....they might have assumed a less aggressive goal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you're currently regularly losing two pounds a week on 1,300, then going to 1,850 will result in you losing less (assuming your activity stays the same). It's all going to come down to your deficit.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose?
  • niklong
    niklong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

65 LBS
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

65 LBS

Then 1.5lb per week is an appropriate goal for you.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    As someone who has done a few different Beachbody programs (which I totally like - including 21DFX), I will recommend that you use the containers for "other" things and use MFP and a scale for your food. Container system is not highly reliable in my opinion. Hate on me if you'd like, but that's my opinion.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    fitin50s2 wrote: »
    As someone who has done a few different Beachbody programs (which I totally like - including 21DFX), I will recommend that you use the containers for "other" things and use MFP and a scale for your food. Container system is not highly reliable in my opinion. Hate on me if you'd like, but that's my opinion.

And here, I think that you should trust the program. It calculates everything for you, it makes your life easier with the containers and no longer need to log and it works when you have a decent amount of weight to lose. If you were tweaking on the last few pounds, then logging is more accurate for sure... But the containers system, while not as accurate, usually comes up short on cals, not over.