Major NSV (for me!!)

so, today I had a major NSV... I went for my walk, as usual, and slightly annoyed at my fiancé (details are unimportant). I went without my dog because she had just eaten, and great Danes need about an hour after eating of rest so they don't bloat...anyway, I don't know what came over me...but I started jogging!! I haven't voluntarily jogged in...I don't even know how long. I HATE running! And today it felt good. I didn't jog the entire 1.27 miles. But I did 3 separate spurts! I'm so shocked and happy with myself at this point that I just had to share...

I guess it's true, when they tell you your body will let you know when you're ready for the next step!!!

Thanks for reading!!!

Replies

• FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    That's great! You should be proud of yourself. Keep on going and add a little more jog each time.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Yay - that's a great NSV - my first time I ran and felt good was when I ran after my 2 year old to stop her from going into the street... I know it was part mother's instinct, but it felt different from an adrenaline type of run!

Keep up the great work - you can do this!
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Yay! Well done!

Keep up the great work!

A Great Dane - wow! :happy:
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Wow, I am so proud of you. Taking the first strides into running is the most difficult. You are not part of a whole new world of people - those who run. Congrats. Keep it up.
  • Awesome! That's definitely something to be proud of :D
  • jazzy1129
    jazzy1129 Posts: 39 Member
    Thats great! I cant wait to get to that point. I am so excited. You should be so proud of yourself! Keep up the good work!
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Great NSV! Congrats!!!
  • marniehodges
    marniehodges Posts: 264
    That is FANTASTIC! And you SHOULD be proud! So many look for the huge accomplishments, like big numbers on the scale or epic workouts. Not realistic. It's the baby steps we all take that add up to the big stuff! I'm like you...hadn't run (or jogged for that matter ) since high school, when I used to run track. Now I'm up to 8.3 miles of jogging/running! Keep going; you're doing great!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • I have 2 Great Danes. I like to go running with them, but I'm only 5'1" and have a hard time keeping up with them. They're awesome motivation though.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Good for you! That's how it's done. Just keep at it. Try and do a little more each time!

When I started 3 1/2 months ago I thought I was dying when I "jogged" a 1/4 mile at 4.5mph. Now I'm doing 4 miles routinely at 5-6mph and working in 8-9mph 1minute interval training. Even jogged 10k on the treadmill just to see if I could, and I could!

Before this year I had never ran more than 1.5 miles and that was in gym class over 20 years ago! I hate(d) running too!

Just keep at it and you will be amazed at how your body responds!!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    I hated running too. Now I look for the steepest hills to see if I can jog em. Keep at it!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Thats exactly how I started running! It just hit me one day while out for my usual walk. I had read where you should start by running in short bursts and just challenge yourself to run longer each time.That was a little over a year ago. Now I run 3-6 miles 4-5 days a week.
    Keep it up, you will learn to love it! Congratulations!!
  • OneTonPony
    OneTonPony Posts: 60
    thank you everyone for your support and sharing your stories!!! I'm still amazed that i did it, and equally excited. my knee is buggin' just a bit this morning, but i'm not too worried...it's probably in shock as well!!!

One thing i forgot to add, is that i also didn't feel like a giggly, bumbling mess while i was running. I felt composed, and i feel like i had good posture, and i wasn't worried about how all my fat was jiggling, cause i really didn't feel it! :D
  • babydaisy83
    babydaisy83 Posts: 29 Member
    Awesome. It's a great feeling isn't it. The same happened to me on one of my walks I just felt the need to run. Not a long run but I ran. Can't wait for the next level
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    awesome, way to go. I love great danes, I've always wanted one
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!