Help me gain weight

Options
I used to be 128 around 3months ago and now I'm 132 and I'm trying to gain weight... any tips?

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Did you see the Most Helpful Posts at the top yet?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300326/most-helpful-posts-goal-gaining-weight-must-reads#latest
    Good place to get started
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Eat big, train big...
  • andrelittle2323
    andrelittle2323 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eat, eat and eat. But only if you're lifting the necessary weight. Weight to calorie intake ratio is everything when gaining pounds, otherwise it'll just turn into fat. If you are lifting make sure to be getting lots of protein and carbs. Chicken, brown rice and broccoli are great for this.
  • telvincollins1
    telvincollins1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yea I eat a lot but I'm also really active my bmi is relatively normal, would there be any suggestions for high protein food that won't be time consuming?
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you have a slow cooker, you can place a whole chicken (season and add onions,celery inside of it) in it before bed and wake up to a delicious meal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yea I eat a lot but I'm also really active my bmi is relatively normal, would there be any suggestions for high protein food that won't be time consuming?

Lunch meats, milk, nuts, or make stuff the night before or over the weekend. I found a bunch of great recipes on www.theproteinchef.co . Love the deserts especially.

If you struggle with calories, skip the bro diet of chicken rice and broccoli and aim for meats higher in fat, cook things in oils or butter, and dont be afraid to drink some calories. In the end, if you cant get calories high enough you are not going to gain. And the quality of food, while it might be good for overall health, has no barring on if you gain fat... the size of your surplus does.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You can have some of mine. Merry Christmas! :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eat, eat and eat. But only if you're lifting the necessary weight. Weight to calorie intake ratio is everything when gaining pounds, otherwise it'll just turn into fat. If you are lifting make sure to be getting lots of protein and carbs. Chicken, brown rice and broccoli are great for this.

Chicken,brown rice and broccoli are great foods but won't help you gain weight ( unless you cover them with oil and cheese! )
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • LeshWeshy
    LeshWeshy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've developed a habit of adding meat to most things I usually eat. I just keep a pound of beef cooked up at all times, and canned chicken. Anytime I'm going to eat something like mixed vegetables, quinoa, or a microwave pasta meal, I dump in a good 4-5 oz of meat. I never eat plain rice or noodles anymore. I always add beef or chicken. I've found almost anything can handle about 1/3 weight in meat without being too much.

I also add compatibly flavored protein powders to things like oatmeal and yogurt.
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    WalkingDeadFrank Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to be 128 around 3months ago and now I'm 132 and I'm trying to gain weight... any tips?

How many calories are you eating daily? What's your Macros?

You will need to eat a lot throughout the day and planning your meals for the week will be helpful.

I'm 194 with 15% BF and I'm cutting up trying to land at 12% BF and 185 pounds. When I'm adding weight I plan for the whole week and I eat more than I burn in calories per day to aid in the growth of muscle. This statement is very vanilla since you're macros will determine what you eat you gain the weight...muscle.

PM if you want a quick outline on what you'll need to eat to gain muscle.

Frank

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I've found that my best results come from a bit under half cals from protein (2x bodyweight), and the other half divided between carbs and fat, the ratios depending upon whatever the hell I feel like eating on a given day.

My main focus as of late, is actually more on keeping my sodium and potassium ratios in check. I abandoned my last bulk early, because I thought I was getting really fat. Nope, I was just retaining water like a women with PMS, to the point where my abdomen looked and measured as if my bodyfat had gone up 6-7%. Within a week of getting my electrolytes straight and drinking gallons of water every day, I shed 11 lbs., and could see my abs again. The retention was so bad that I was actually starting to get blowback into my lungs and was coughing up fluid that had me thinking I had pneumonia.

To that end, I have found beans with no salt added (Walmart has a good canned selection of these on the cheap) plus either salmon, chicken, protein shakes (MyProtein's powders have no sodium added), or ground beef to well suit my aims.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You will need to eat a lot throughout the day and planning your meals for the week will be helpful.

I'm 194 with 15% BF and I'm cutting up trying to land at 12% BF and 185 pounds. When I'm adding weight I plan for the whole week and I eat more than I burn in calories per day to aid in the growth of muscle. This statement is very vanilla since you're macros will determine what you eat you gain the weight...muscle.

Frank

Macros are not nearly as important as calories nor progressive overload training. And consider how easy it is to hit protein goals during a bulk, there isn't anything special that needs to be done.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Frank

Macros are not nearly as important as calories nor progressive overload training. And consider how easy it is to hit protein goals during a bulk, there isn't anything special that needs to be done.

Pretty much this. Hell, my protein intake is ridiculous by most standards, and I'm not even really trying.
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    Options

Frank

Did you actually read what I wrote?? I made it clear that you must eat more calories than you burn in order to gain weight. And after that, Marcos are still important to gain the right weight(muscle)...clean bulk or dirty bulk(fat).

Frank.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Frank

Did you actually read what I wrote?? I made it clear that you must eat more calories than you burn in order to gain weight. And after that, Marcos are still important to gain the right weight(muscle)...clean bulk or dirty bulk(fat).

Frank.

Yes i did. Did you? I bolded the statement. Also, a clean bulk or dirty bulk us based on thr size of your surplus. Has nothing to do with your macros.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Frank

Frank.

Yes i did. Did you? I bolded the statement. Also, a clean bulk or dirty bulk us based on thr size of your surplus. Has nothing to do with your macros.

I think the old "dirty bulk" confusion is still around from back in the day when it was hard as hell to get 5000+ kcals in a day without a bunch of high fat foods. Fortunately, modern food manufacturers have figured out how to compress carbs and proteins in a way that lets me hit said 5000 in a day without breaking 60g of fat, and having about a 50/50 split between carbs and protein, all without rupturing an intestine with chicken and potatoes. xD
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    Options

I think the old "dirty bulk" confusion is still around from back in the day when it was hard as hell to get 5000+ kcals in a day without a bunch of high fat foods. Fortunately, modern food manufacturers have figured out how to compress carbs and proteins in a way that lets me hit said 5000 in a day without breaking 60g of fat, and having about a 50/50 split between carbs and protein, all without rupturing an intestine with chicken and potatoes. xD[/quote]

Agreed...people still need to make sure that they're bulking up the right way for muscle growth.

Frank
  • WalkingDeadFrank
    Options

Frank

Frank.

Do you're saying that if the surplus is all fat it's still ok?

Frank
  • psuLemon
    Options

Frank

Frank.

Do you're saying that if the surplus is all fat it's still ok?

Frank

If you follow a progressive overload lifting program, have moderate protein (.8g to 1g) and a surplus, it will be a combination of muscle and fat. Based on the size of the surplus, your training protocol and genetics, will determine the ratio of muscle to fat. In general with a moderate surplus (250 to 500), roughly 50% of your gains will be muscle. As you continue to increase the size of your surplus or as your body fat gets closer to 20%, the ratio of fat to muscle becomes less favorable to muscle gain.