If you could be a healthy weight OR intelligent?

Options
candistyx
candistyx Posts: 547 Member
If you could be a healthy weight or intelligent but not both which would you choose?

Replies

• leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    weight, im vain :)
  • Mesomorphosis
    Mesomorphosis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    a healthy weight, what good is being intelligent if you're dead from being fat
  • change_happens
    Options
    i would rather be dumbed down and have a healthy heart... i can always pick up a book after doing cardio :)
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    healthy weight....Id rather be healthy and live a good life then be smart and not healthy...wouldnt live long
  • Clairebryant36
    Options
    healthy weight!! It's your health- can't put a price on it- sure wouldn't want to end up dead!
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    Well, I've heard that "Ignorance Is Bliss" and I've seen lots of not-so-smart people who are completely oblivious to their shortcomings and seem happy, so I might have to go with being slim over smart. Besides, I've been smart for a long time, it would be nice to try being healthy! ;0)

Hey, wait a minute, I just realized that if I keep up at the rate I've been going, I CAN HAVE BOTH!!!!! Yippee!
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    This is a perplexing question and I look forward to seeing the responses.

I read one article a few months ago that says most young girls would rather win a beauty pageant than win the Nobel Peace Prize, which says a lot about our societies priorities and what is considered an "achievement."

I would rather be intelligent because an unhealthy weight is too vague of a choice. That could just be twenty pounds overweight, and it wouldn't take much work to work that off. And if I were a healthy weight and not intelligent, I wouldn't have the tools to STAY a healthy weight because, WUT IS A CALORIE? You probably weren't talking trading in those size xx jeans for a size x and a lower IQ... Just being brighter and things like that.

If you would have asked me this question a few months ago, I would have traded my right arm (I'm a lefty), to be le-skinny(ier). But I'm learning to accept myself as I am. Weight gains, losses, low test grades, high test grades and all. As long as I put forth my best effort, and cut myself some slack if I'm not perfect all the time. Intelligence is more important to me.

Edit: My response probably holds no merit though because most people would consider me a "healthy weight" already. Even though I hold an unhealthy percentage of body fat. It was 30% a few years ago but I haven't had it checked since...but I weight roughly the same as I did then. *shrugs*
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    mm hard one...I think healthy weight. If i had to chose between slightly overweight and intelligent...i'll would go for intelligent....good thing we are not asked to pick one in this life!
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    And if I were a healthy weight and not intelligent, I wouldn't have the tools to STAY a healthy weight because, WUT IS A CALORIE?

LOL! Yeah, I guess it's easier to fix FAT than for to fix STOOPID!
  • candistyx
    Options
    I would for sure pick intelligent.

I was thinking like overweight or obese but not morbidly obese.

Also I wonder would the answers have been different if I'd phrased it as "would you rather be fat or stupid"...
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would choose being smart so I could understand what people are on about when it comes to calorie calculations plus I might be more clever with my food choices so would be able to lose the weight too.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    It kind of makes me sad that so many people view the external as being more important than the internal qualities.

I understand that's how our society functions... but still.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Most really intelligent people I know are overweight and have health issues. How does intelligence help if you're dead?
  • candistyx
    Options
    I would choose being smart so I could understand what people are on about when it comes to calorie calculations plus I might be more clever with my food choices so would be able to lose the weight too.
    Heh I also kind of envisioned this as an all or nothing hypothetical where if you pick smart, you never get to be thin.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Definitely intelligent (though what kind of intelligence are we talking about?). I'm a reasonably smart person, and I like myself even though I'm overweight. I don't want to give up who I am.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Also I wonder would the answers have been different if I'd phrased it as "would you rather be fat or stupid"...
    Interesting question...
  • candistyx
    Options
    Most really intelligent people I know are overweight and have health issues. How does intelligence help if you're dead?

Excess weight may be correlated with health problems, indeed can be one of many causative factors, but it is by no means an inevitable sentence to an early grave...
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It kind of makes me sad that so many people view the external as being more important than the internal qualities.

I understand that's how our society functions... but still.
    I have spent the last few years....i mean 9 years being morbidly obese and fat, i have worked myself rotten to get to where i am and i still have 6-7 kilos to go, the point that i am making is i am a average achiever and nothing special, i work hard i get good marks i slack and i get what i deserve, point being is I wont get any dumber unless brain injury so bring on the weightloss :)