Weight gain despite exercise and 1200-1500 cal/day

Options
I've been logging in for 15 days in a row and have netted around 1200-1500 calories per day. I exercise 5 days per week. As of a couple days ago, I had only lost a couple of pounds. As of today, I'm a pound heavier than when I started. Wtf? I'm 5'6 and 155 lbs. my clothes aren't fitting more loosely, so I dint think I'm trading fat for muscle enough to cause this weight gain. Also- I'm a healthy eater. My calories are from pretty good foods

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Since you said 'netted', I'm assuming that you're eating exercise calories back.
    Many apps overestimate exercise calories. Some people only eat back half.

Either way, you might try calculating your TDEE and not eating over that, no matter how many exercise calories you get....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Since you said 'netted', I'm assuming that you're eating exercise calories back.

Either way, you might try calculating your TDEE and not eating over that, no matter how many exercise calories you get....

Excellent advice. I couldn't have said it better!
  • sfelder1223
    sfelder1223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! At first when you start to make changes to me it's almost like your body wants to fight you and hold on to the fat. Prior to using MFP I thought that I was doing well, but once I started logging every single thing I eat I do much better. It helps me to logged before I eat the food just to ensure I don't over eat or have to many sugars or sodium in one meal! I hope this helps and whatever you do, do not give up!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    karajhol wrote: »
    I've been logging in for 15 days in a row and have netted around 1200-1500 calories per day. I exercise 5 days per week. As of a couple days ago, I had only lost a couple of pounds. As of today, I'm a pound heavier than when I started. Wtf? I'm 5'6 and 155 lbs. my clothes aren't fitting more loosely, so I dint think I'm trading fat for muscle enough to cause this weight gain. Also- I'm a healthy eater. My calories are from pretty good foods

you also cant trade fat for muscle. it doesnt work that way. be patient.a couple of pounds is still a loss and you wont lose every day,every week,etc. weight loss for most doesnt work that way.as for healthy eating, what you eat doesnt matter its about how much you eat, yes,you can gain weight eating healthy foods too.its a misconception that if you eat healthy and work out you lose weight,you wont unless in a deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! At first when you start to make changes to me it's almost like your body wants to fight you and hold on to the fat. Prior to using MFP I thought that I was doing well, but once I started logging every single thing I eat I do much better. It helps me to logged before I eat the food just to ensure I don't over eat or have to many sugars or sodium in one meal! I hope this helps and whatever you do, do not give up!
    I'm sorry, but it doesn't help at all. Your mind can fight you and resist behavior changes, but your body has no choice but to let go of fat if you are in a consistent calorie deficit. Your body may retain water and waste for whatever reasons, so that you'll need to look at your weight for a long time to get a real trend, but you will lose if you hit your calorie goal every day, and log correctly. Tracking sugar and sodium without being instructed to by your doctor, is just adding unnecessary complexity.

I get a little agitated whenever I see "don't give up". That really depends on whether one is doing it right or not.

Prelogging is good advice though. It's so much easier to adjust intake before you eat, than after ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Someone already said it but weight loss is not linear. I weigh every day and have a graph of my weight going back the last six months. My pattern is a reliably repeating lose, lose, gain over and over. 15 days can't tell you anything. Use the tools here properly and don't kid yourself and you will lose over time.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    my weight loss was like nothing 3 weeks then whoosh 2-3lbs overnight lol. Give it a bit more time. How many calories are you eating and how much are you burning through exercise?
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I can drink my daily recommended water and gain a lb. Its OK
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    You've been logging 15 days here on MFP? It looks like you just joined today.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    You've been logging 15 days here on MFP? It looks like you just joined today.

I think the "First Visit" info is for the forums and they are viewed as separate from the Food Diary, but I'm not 100% certain on that.
  • karajhol
    karajhol Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for years. Just got back into it a few weeks ago. Must be first visit to blog.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr
  • karajhol
    Options

Yes, I have been eating my exercise calories back. I calculated my TDEE on a website and it's around 2100. But it seems wushu washy because some days o do 45 minutes of yoga, and some days I do 45 minutes on the elliptical with an average heart rate of 160.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

Yes, I have been eating my exercise calories back. I calculated my TDEE on a website and it's around 2100. But it seems wushu washy because some days o do 45 minutes of yoga, and some days I do 45 minutes on the elliptical with an average heart rate of 160.

So you eat 2100 a day?
  • karajhol
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

First of all, 15 days is nothing at all, it's just a start. It's during this time that you find out certain things that might not be working.

What is not working is that you are unknowingly eating more than you realize. If you were eating at a calorie deficit, you would be losing weight. The evidence of whether you are eating at a calorie deficit is always in the results.

Do you log everything you consume, including drinks and condiments?

Do you weight all your solids and measure all your liquids?

Do you eat your exercise calories back? If so, where do you get those burns from?

Also, what are your stats? How much are you trying to lose?

I'm 5'6", 155 lbs. I want to be 145lbs and am hoping to be there in 5 weeks. Ultimately I'd love to be 140, but whatever. I stopped breastfeeding and ten lbs magically appeared. Now I need to lose the weight and maintain the loss... forever.