fish and chips

Options
how many calories do you all think fish and chips from a uk fish and chips shop really has. ive looked at the data base and it varies a lot so need some help
i only have it as a treat twice in a month and am good the rest of the time but would really like to know how many calories the average fish and chips are
help please

Replies

• sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Good question. I'm not a massive chippy fan, but one night I did fancy it, and couldn't decided what calories to leg from the database, so just had egg fried rice instead lol (I had 2500 exercise calories that night, and needed to spend them! lol)
  • fenix1976
    fenix1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    used to work in a chip shop and looked into this a few years ago

all depends whats they fry in
    also depends if they use batter mix or make fresh batter daily
    then theres the added salt and vinegar

a small portion of chips we served was around 400-500kcals
    small battered cod was around 550-600kcals
    medium battered cod was around 700kcals
    large battered cod was around 850kcals

we fried in FRYMAX which is a vegetable fat, which is supposed to be lower in kcals

i know if a few chippies back home (suffolk) who still fry in beef dripping for the 'traditional taste' but dripping is the highest in fat and kcals i think ive ever seen - next time your in, just ask what they fry in - if they are open enough to tell you then great - there shouldnt be a reason not to answer any questions you have.
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    mm I had it for dinner last night and struggled! It really depends on what you have, how much of it and how its cooked though. bit hard to be sure :(
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Has around 500ish calories :)
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I reckon sarahpreece1987 is about on the mark. If you find a mob that does grilled well - that's the way to go - it will almost halve the cals on the fish.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    A million!!!
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    A million!!!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I would have said definately over 500 calories. There is an entry for so many grams of chips which seems about right to me chips is always going to have more calories in than just potato, Don't forget some chippies, most actually will fry some chips twice as that's how they reheat when they get cold.

To be honest i don't log it, i'd rather leave it than put something in that i think is going to be wildly wrong. I do know someone who just enters 1000 cals as a quick add if she can't find the calories on something.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i really have no idea,but have you tried to make your own? a huge amount less cals!