Bottom vs face

Options
morenita71
morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
Apparently Catherine Deneuve once said: "A 30-year-old woman must choose between her bottom and her face." What do others think? Is that true for you?

As someone who's just turned 40 who has always been told I look younger than my age I have often attributed that to being overweight (even though I stupidly invest in expensive skin care products - not sure they work but now I've started using them don't want to risk stopping using them now!) Now I am in my "healthy BMI" range I've reset my goal by another 7lbs to 133 (I'm 5 ft 3) I'm going to see whether this affects my appearance!

What experiences have you had? Or doesn't it bother you at all? Obviously being healthy is the most important thing for me but I mean within the healthy range...has it made a difference?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on which way she's going.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I have never invested in any creams or skin care products other than cheap face wash and lotion and I was just told the other day in Sam's club by the lady at the tobacco checkout counter (there with my friend getting her husband Copenhagen) that she was sure I was 12 years old.

I say you don't have to choose between your bottom or your face. I think if you eat healthy, your skin will have the nutrients it needs to stay young looking, and if you exercise regularly then your body will have the toneness (that is not a word I am sure) to keep you looking young.
  • CAH1968
    CAH1968 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have always looked younger than my age, but now that I lost 45lbs my face is more aged looking. It annoys me, but I'd rather be healthy.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm in my mid 40's and both my bum and face have improved since I started to lose weight. My skin was not as good as it used to be, but now looks bright and healthy. I put this down to better diet and increased water intake. I think the original quote was implying that skinny women's faces look drawn as they age, which is often the case.
  • MamaMayo
    Options
    I say you don't have to choose between your bottom or your face. I think if you eat healthy, your skin will have the nutrients it needs to stay young looking, and if you exercise regularly then your body will have the toneness to keep you looking young.
    [/quote]
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree! When I lost 100+ pounds a couple years ago (in my late 40s), I looked GREAT in my size 4-6 clothes, but my face drooped! Had I not gained some of the weight back, I'd probably be looking at a face lift. In fact, my skin was so loose and droopy I always wore body shapers and support hose. I could never be seen in a swimsuit. But you can't do that for your face. Lose it while you're young and your skin can tighten on its own. I'm working on getting back down to that size again, but now that I'm in my 50s, I'm scared to death about how my face will look. Sigh. No easy answers here.

Cheers..
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I agree with this. I'm 45 and the thinner I am, the older I look. I can tell you by experience, having a 75 pound weight swing in the last 5 years. It's not the state of my skin, it's the fullness of the face, as someone else mentioned. As we age we just don't have as much fullness unless we are overweight. I guess I'd rather look my age than be fat anymore. There's always Botox or something if I get really desperate lol.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on which way she's going.

ha! Should've seen that response coming!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I kind of know what she means - Melanie Sykes was on the telly the other night and MrWW said "She's looking a bit rough!". Now, it's not like him to notice these things at all, but I said at the time it was because she is so slender there's just no meat on her face to puff out the wrinkles...
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    with some people, its hard to tell which one's which, hahaha
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Its true...someone HERE told me

You can have a nice face, or a nice *kitten*...but not both.

My face definitely shows the weightloss...and the exertion from running :(

But my *kitten* is out of this world...lol...jk!!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Apparently Catherine Deneuve was paid by a cosmetic company; why believe her?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Apparently Catherine Deneuve was paid by a cosmetic company; why believe her?

Cosmetics don't help when age sets in....they actually make women appear older....don't believe the hype ladies, fresh and natural is best! xo
  • Motorsheen
    Options

But my *kitten* is out of this world...lol

oh.....

"hi."

• Motorsheen
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    Well, since I'm pretty much always mistaken for mid 30's I guess my face is ok and my *kitten* is absolutely out of this world. Soooo....... I'd have to say Catherine Deneuve fibbed.

Respexxxt.
  • TrailRunn3r82
    TrailRunn3r82 Posts: 126 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This Catherine Deneuve had no idea what she was talking about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    morenita71 wrote: »
    Apparently Catherine Deneuve once said: "A 30-year-old woman must choose between her bottom and her face." What do others think? Is that true for you?

As someone who's just turned 40 who has always been told I look younger than my age I have often attributed that to being overweight (even though I stupidly invest in expensive skin care products - not sure they work but now I've started using them don't want to risk stopping using them now!) Now I am in my "healthy BMI" range I've reset my goal by another 7lbs to 133 (I'm 5 ft 3) I'm going to see whether this affects my appearance!

What experiences have you had? Or doesn't it bother you at all? Obviously being healthy is the most important thing for me but I mean within the healthy range...has it made a difference?

I don't even know what this means...
  • arachelm5
    arachelm5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I look younger when I'm thin. Weight tends to age me however I did notice when I lost alot of weight before that I looked more droopy like I was a melting wax figure though no one else niticed. So that's my only concern at trying to lose weight again at 38 vs when I was 32 the last time I lost weight.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    @JustMissTracy told me exercise makes you look older so I decided not to exercise