Wanted 60 yr old Diabetic needs support

Hi are you 60 plus years old and a Diabetic I need people who use insulin and have to test their BS three to six times a day, MFP carbs are way too high so i need help in cutting back carbs, and learning what to do when our BS numbers bounce off the wall or go low after working out, plus i need Diabetic Friendly Recipe and Menu ideas ...what works for you ...I also need 60 plus fitness friends who are on limited income, and know what it means to think do i buy my insulin this month or do i buy healthy groceries... we can get healthy we can survive I am 63 years old and a cancer survivor...yes i will vent that Obama care is taking 80% of my SS$ every month and it sucks...big time...so how are you coping, do you stress eat, do you eat lots of raw veggies, and go low on meat as it freaks out our kidneys...love to hear from 60 year old diabetics who can relate what we go through day by day... I am also walking 1-3 mile walk for Diabetes in memory of my MOM, Cousin, and BFF Annette who all died of Kidney failure dialysis sigh...look for as many folks my age as possible..

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    I am not diabetic but I know a lot of people around here are so I'm just saying hello and bumping your intro thread back up. Good luck to you!
  • dennisroc
    dennisroc Posts: 59 Member
    Hello I am just getting back on here , been gone for awhile. I am wanting to lose 35 lbs and get back in shape hopefully.

I am 63 years old , type 2 diabetic for 13 years taking insulin and Metformin. I don't eat like I should and know that if I don't start taking better care of my health I will pay for it later.

I am still working and have company paid insurance which is not the greatest but helps.
    I am hoping to get some great meal ideas and maybe drop 35 lbs in 6 months. High blood pressure , high cholesterol etc... all the stuff that is no good.

I am type 2 but decided on my own to use insulin and doc agreed.
    I inject 60 units of insulin and take 1000 mg Metformin per day + all the other meds.

I would like to hear others stories , hope things are getting better for you.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,622 Member
    Hi, I'm not diabetic but my husband is. He got,on insulin in 2001 but got off last summer because he lost all his weight!!He still monitors it. I'm 62, lost my job at hospital almost 4 yrs ago. I did some care giving & quit last summer when i started getting social security. We live on our social security & I have a small pension. We paid off our house some years ago & are debt free but we still have all our other bills so we are limited also. I lost almost 30lbs so far
  • Kayp61
    Kayp61 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi I am 60 & just found out prediabetic. I weigh 173 & 5 '. Need help learning good carbs. Thank you