Started running need advice

Options
Hi everyone so I decided to start running as my form of exercise to get fitter and loose weight. I have a goal in mind of a distance in the future I would love to do but so far I'm about week 3 in and about 7 runs in and I'm finding it hard I manage to run about half a mile then have to stop for a breather then start again and can only do 2 miles before I'm completely exhausted. This is getting easier and my times are coming down each time I run. Am I expecting too much to be able to start running more than a mile without having to stop. Would love to hear from some other runners that have gone through this or who are at this stage aswell many thanks.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of variables that will affect how quickly your aerobic fitness improves (age, weight, how long you've been inactive etc)

If you're finding you have to take walking breaks you may also be trying to run too fast, the usual advice for new runners is to slow down and then slow down some more...ideally most of your runs should be at a conversational pace. Be patient, each of us progresses at our own pace & have fun!
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I had to do the same when I first started running. I would run for a while then walk until my breathing and heartbeat came back down then hit it again. Don't feel bad about it, just keep it up and you will get better and better. I did my first 5k and had to walk at times to get through it. Same on my second 5k. I'm no super runner at this point but I can do 4 miles now at a decent pace.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone so I decided to start running as my form of exercise to get fitter and loose weight. I have a goal in mind of a distance in the future I would love to do but so far I'm about week 3 in and about 7 runs in and I'm finding it hard I manage to run about half a mile then have to stop for a breather then start again and can only do 2 miles before I'm completely exhausted. This is getting easier and my times are coming down each time I run. Am I expecting too much to be able to start running more than a mile without having to stop. Would love to hear from some other runners that have gone through this or who are at this stage aswell many thanks.

Slow down your pace, and that should allow you to run more easily. It might be useful to use a structured plan like Couch to 5K, to help you to moderate your pace while improving your aerobic capacity.

I did C25K about 3 years ago, moved on to Half Marathons and now tend to race marathons and ultras.

• JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You may be trying to run too fast. Then again you may just be out of shape. Take it slow and you will improve with time. Just keep in mind. If you are out there you are running laps around those who sit home on the couch. Keep it up you're doing well.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. Even if you're not planning to run a 5K, Couch to 5K is a good way to start. Most of them begin by alternating running with walking, which is a really good way to get acclimated. If you find you enjoy it and it's working for you, eventually you'll get to straight-up running with no walk breaks. Although, some people just hang on to the walk breaks, if that's what works. Good on you for starting, and good luck with it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Don't try to run each run faster than the previous one. If anything, slow it down. The slower you go, the farther you'll be able to go. If you need to walk, that's fine. Either pick a distance (2 or 3 miles) or a time (30-40 minutes) and just walk and run as you need to during that time. With practice, it will get easier to do more running and less walking. C25k is a nice structured program to get you to progress from walking to running, but it isn't a necessity.

Have you been to a real running store to get fitted with good shoes? They can help prevent injury. Taking it slow and easy will also help.

Finally, the goal you have picked may seem impossibly far away, but with time and patience, you'll get there. I started c25k at age 54. I did my first marathon less than 4 years later.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Definitely slow down your pace. I started out on treadmill with run walk segments, 1 min on 2 min off. Building the distance is way more important than building speed, especially early on.
  • bcchast
    bcchast Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I went from a desk job and almost totally inactive, to running practically daily. I too was doing 2 miles, my neighborhood is a big figure 8 and an exact 2 miles. I couldn't make it without stopping either. What I found best was to never totally stop moving even to breath, I would slow down to what felt like a turtle speed at some points but I would keep moving slowing to catch my breath and then going harder. Doing this builds your lungs and heart muscles and coping/recovery. It also increases calorie burn. I will tell you that for the first month I was icing my legs every time I ran and sleeping on heating pads. But! I dropped 30 pounds in under two months. And each day, rain or shine, that I ran, I felt better and was able to run the whole 2 miles non stop in about 3-5 weeks. A note of motivation, 6 months later, I now run that same figure 8 neighborhood two laps in under 26 minutes. Consistency is key, you burn more calories faster and easier early morning, before eating. You mentioned 7 times in 3 weeks, I found it easier to have less rest time between runs keeping me more motivated to push through. Of course everyone is different but this is what worked for me. Good luck.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Agree with slowing down. I've heard one should work on speed or distance but not both at the same time.
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments and from the general consensus I need to slow down. Maybe I have been too hung up on times as ideally I wanna do longer distances rather than quick miles. I looked at my mile split from last night and it was 8.49 for my first mile. I have downloaded the C25K app and will start that and build gradually gonna try and go out more than 3 times a week aswell as that will help. Gonna get my new shoes today getting my feet and stride measured in tony pryce (uk) just feel like a fool going into one of these shops as I really don't look like a runner lol. Hope they don't snigger too much. Thank you again for all you advice. Good luck with all your goals aswell.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ... gonna try and go out more than 3 times a week aswell as that will help.

Just follow the plan. Rest days are important, particularly as a new runner.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Most running should be at a "conversational pace". A pace at which you can still hold a conversation with a running partner without gasping for breath. You breathing, while talking and running, should be comfortable. If you can sing "Happy Birthday to you" without difficulty, you're in the ball park.

Running at this pace will allow you to increase your distance, slowly, and be better able to avoid injury. It's also less painful, I enjoy it. Speed and distance will come, almost as if by magic, after a time.
  • U2Bad1
    U2Bad1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago I lost about 85-90 pounds via running. I started off doing run-walks on a treadmill. When I started to feel too comfortable, I would bump up the speed and duration. Don't go too hard out of the gate so you don't injured yourself.

Now, I can run a 5 K in 23-24 minutes depending on the course and can run casually for many miles without feeling winded.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Follow a program (like C25K) so you do not do too much too soon. You can definitely hurt yourself that way. The best way to increase your running is to go SLOW. Find your aerobic threshold and train at a very slow pace. This in turn eventually makes you faster.

I was the kid in high school that always finished next to last in the mile. Walking most of it. A year ago I ran a 7:45 mile and could run 7+ non-stop at a 9ish min pace. It all came from consistent, structured training and weight loss.

TL;DR - It takes time.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Agree with slowing down. I've heard one should work on speed or distance but not both at the same time.

As beginner, speed comes with distance. There is no need to work on speed until you've been running consistently for at least a year. Slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck.

ETA - Definitely use a structured plan like C25K. Don't try to do too much too soon. It may feel fine for a while then suddenly you get injured.
  • Hermie123451982
    Options
    Thanks again did week 2 day 1 tonight and felt good.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Thanks again did week 2 day 1 tonight and felt good.

I saw your other post on this and I'd reiterate the point that the rest days are in there for a reason. The reason that most new runners get injured is over-use, either doing too much too soon or trying to run too fast.

• Hermie123451982
    Options
    Thank you for your advice haven't just started been running for a few weeks now so didn't see the point in starting on week one as could do that comfortably. Will stick to the 3 days a week as it says on my C25k. Many thanks again for everyone's replys.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It takes time! I was totally sedentary when I stared I ran for I think 10 minutes at a 15 min/mil. I took a lot of work but eventually I ran a half marathon nearly a year later!
  • MrsCoby78
    MrsCoby78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I looked at my mile split from last night and it was 8.49 for my first mile.

:o

As others have said, slow down and use your rest days. They are absolutely as important as your workout days to get stronger and prevent injury.

You are being too hard on yourself. Fitness will be built brick by brick over time.