Running every single day?

Options
So seven days ago I started running at least 2 miles a day. This is the longest I was able to keep a workout streak going. My mom says that its really bad for me to run that much without a rest day at least once a week or at least doing a different workout.

I like running because it's easy and I know how to do it and track how i'm doing it on the treadmill. I never really liked other workouts I found on pinterest and was never able to continue them after only two or three days. I'm just worried that if I take a rest day today, I won't run again tomorrow. Is there any other type of workout I can be doing on my rest day that's simple but gets the job done? Or is it ok if I just keep running?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I go for really long stretches of running every day, although I tend to walk/run in intervals. As long as you stretch and aren't feeling any aggravated joints or muscles, and aren't pushing through feeling burned out for the sake of it, I don't see a problem. Variety is generally good for sustainability though. A long, brisk, outdoor walk, a session on a stationary bike, can be comparable efforts.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Misread. So never mind this post. Nothing to see here.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    If you've been doing this for seven years, and are not feeling run down, I don't see why it would be a problem. For a new runner, definitely.

However, is your goal only to continue with this streak? Because if you were to do something like speed intervals or threshold training, then I would argue that a rest day would be smart idea. But if you're just taking a leisurely run with no other goal in mind and you aren't feeling any pain, I don't see why not. Just watch for overuse pain.

7 days @vespiquenn , not years :lol:
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @tshook12397 - what is your current fitness level? If you're highly active, a short 2 mile run a day isn't going to hurt you. If you've just started running OR if you're not used to the abuse that 2 miles of running does to your body (i.e. you suddenly increased your weekly mileage) you're going to end up with injuries. Sudden increases in mileage is one of the most common causes of runners injuries.

I run 4 days a week (when I'm not in 'Christmas mode'). On my off-days I often bike. Sometimes I'll just go for a walk and sometimes I'll swim. You could also try to find some free workout videos on YouTube and do that on off-days as well. I (usually) do some sort of exercise every day, even if it's just a quick walk. It doesn't have to be running - there are all sorts of alternatives.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    If you've been doing this for seven years, and are not feeling run down, I don't see why it would be a problem. For a new runner, definitely.

However, is your goal only to continue with this streak? Because if you were to do something like speed intervals or threshold training, then I would argue that a rest day would be smart idea. But if you're just taking a leisurely run with no other goal in mind and you aren't feeling any pain, I don't see why not. Just watch for overuse pain.

7 days @vespiquenn , not years :lol:

Lmfao. This is probably why I should have napped like my husband. :lol:

OP, I retract what I said. Yes, you need rest days. Your joints will thank you for it for not injuring yourself. Overuse injuries can set you back for months.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    As a new runner, it is a good idea to give your muscles and tendons a chance to rest and recover. They get stronger that way. If you are keeping your pace easy and not feeling any stress at all, then maybe run two or three days, then take a day off, then run two and rest. Four or 5 days a week is probably not too much if you are keeping the runs really easy. If you are straining to finish two miles, then I'd take a day off every other day. Your lungs will get used to the exercise more quickly than the muscles and tendons.

As to simple alternatives, get out and walk. You should be able to walk every day without a problem. Or get on the TM if the weather is awful. If you have access to a gym, then the elliptical or stationary bike will also give you a good workout.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking it's not a great idea for new runners to run on consecutive days, at least at the beginning as there are a lot of physiological adaptations going on. Having said that you have youth on your side but it's a definite maybe depending on your overall level of fitness and athleticism(most running injuries are a result of too much, to soon, too fast)

On non-running days you could bike, swim, walk, lift weights, ski....it's a matter of doing something you enjoy.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    OP, it takes a lot of miles under your feet as a runner to work up to being able to run every day.

New runners need rest days so they don't risk injury.

Take them. Walk on your off days.
  • tshook12397
    tshook12397 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. I will try walking on days I don't run. Overall I've been feeling really good despite not really running much before this but I understand the importance of taking a break to recover when needed. Thanks again for all the great advice!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    So seven days ago I started running at least 2 miles a day. This is the longest I was able to keep a workout streak going. My mom says that its really bad for me to run that much without a rest day at least once a week or at least doing a different workout.

I like running because it's easy and I know how to do it and track how i'm doing it on the treadmill. I never really liked other workouts I found on pinterest and was never able to continue them after only two or three days. I'm just worried that if I take a rest day today, I won't run again tomorrow. Is there any other type of workout I can be doing on my rest day that's simple but gets the job done? Or is it ok if I just keep running?

Get a rest day or two in there so your soft tissue can recover, heal, and leave you stronger for your next run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is there any other type of workout I can be doing on my rest day that's simple but gets the job done?

You could swim, cycle or do some form of resistance training. Personally I prefer bodyweight, which is easy to pick up without any additional resources.

• mhdashler
    mhdashler Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for an alternative exercise for rest days that is easy on the joints, I would recommend swimming. However, if you are not used to swimming or are not a strong swimmer, it may not be much of a rest.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years, minus a 3 month hiatus this summer for a hip injury not related to running. Before that, I was running 3 days, bike, 2 days, rest. I am very active and would sometimes swim or play tennis but would only ever walk on my rest day. Getting back into it, I ran every other day and now am at 2 on, 1 off but my mileage is higher than yours. Try to replace one day with some swimming or biking if you can? You might find you like other disciplines.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. I will try walking on days I don't run. Overall I've been feeling really good despite not really running much before this but I understand the importance of taking a break to recover when needed. Thanks again for all the great advice!

Even if you "feel good" now, it doesn't that everything will turn out ok. It takes awhile for injuries to build up, and by the time you "feel" them, the damage has already started. So as a new runner, don't depend on your feelings to determine if you need a rest day. Schedule them in, every other day, and follow the schedule religiously. Your future self will thank you. There are so many other exercises you can do, give them a try!