exercise during ramadhan

Options
Hi, I'm going to fast for a month in August as I'm practising Muslim. Like everyday we have certain amount of exercise to be completed in order to lose weight. But in ramadhan, it would be impossible to burn all the required calories. Anyone here could guide me on how to handle this issue?

Replies

• RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Since you're fasting anyway, you may not need to burn as much. Just try to do light exercises like walking, or exercise more vigorously while the sun is down, so you can still eat and drink at that time.

Good luck to you, and happy holidays! :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly, during ramadhan you eat at night. Maybe you can go for a walk before or after that. Otherwise, I would do what Christians do during Christmas, ignore the diet, do what you need to and get back at it after ramadhan is over.

Good Luck.
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I asked this question as well, and got some good replies. The links below are very helpful:

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/241490-ramadaan-fasting-in-august

www.dailymuscle.com/2009/08/31/how-to-lose-weight-during-ramadan/

www.dailymuscle.com/2006/09/26/the-fasting-month-of-ramadhan-keeping-your-fitness-levels-and-physique-in-check/

I will try my best this month, but I feel the best exercise I will get is walking/cycling to the mosque or some light bodyweight exercises in the evening.
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Don't do the workouts during the day bacause you need your energy and hat will burn your energy while you cannot recover it by eating any thing. But do all what you used to do afer the sun set ... at night.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My husband will be fasting for Ramadan also, he is planning to do some light exercise 3-4 times a week after breaking his fast. There is not much you can do during the fasting hours as you can't drink water, so I think evening is the best time to do some activity.
  • seyran
    seyran Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi, I am trying to fast aswell. The key I think is not to eat fast and too much at ifthar. I would do cardio for 45 minutes (walking / biking) and let go weight training for a month.
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i always say i will execise in ramadan..but i never do...so this year i am not saying anything....iftar is at 9 pm...by then you are so tired...and you do need to keep those calories you ate for iftar to last for the whole next day..i never wake up for sohur..so whatever is eat from 9 to 11ish is what will give me energy the next day...you are still living and doing your usual thing....work, play , clean , cook ...and burning calories so there is no need to execise to burn more......how many calories do u eat for iftar..when you have not eaten all day u think when the time comes u will eat everything in sight..but then when u start eating u get full pretty fast..i counted my calories in ramadan...and even eating my mom's dessert and a chocolate bar it is hard to go over 1500 calories...
    actually when fasting i'd opt more for strength training and pilates than cardio just to keep your muscle mass..so i will just keep up light weight training and pilates this year...and of course i have 3 boys that will keep me busy , i still have to walk with them to the park and splash pads, and clean the house few times a day..and of course cooking..

my friend's husband goes jogging everyday 1hr before iftar....with late iftar time it is hard to do anythng after iftar..
    but i think that is over doing it...

sam
  • babychoose
    babychoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I asked this question as well, and got some good replies. The links below are very helpful:

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/241490-ramadaan-fasting-in-august

www.dailymuscle.com/2009/08/31/how-to-lose-weight-during-ramadan/

www.dailymuscle.com/2006/09/26/the-fasting-month-of-ramadhan-keeping-your-fitness-levels-and-physique-in-check/

I will try my best this month, but I feel the best exercise I will get is walking/cycling to the mosque or some light bodyweight exercises in the evening.

Thank you for the links!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • babychoose
    Options
    i always say i will execise in ramadan..but i never do...so this year i am not saying anything....iftar is at 9 pm...by then you are so tired...and you do need to keep those calories you ate for iftar to last for the whole next day..i never wake up for sohur..so whatever is eat from 9 to 11ish is what will give me energy the next day...you are still living and doing your usual thing....work, play , clean , cook ...and burning calories so there is no need to execise to burn more......how many calories do u eat for iftar..when you have not eaten all day u think when the time comes u will eat everything in sight..but then when u start eating u get full pretty fast..i counted my calories in ramadan...and even eating my mom's dessert and a chocolate bar it is hard to go over 1500 calories...
    actually when fasting i'd opt more for strength training and pilates than cardio just to keep your muscle mass..so i will just keep up light weight training and pilates this year...and of course i have 3 boys that will keep me busy , i still have to walk with them to the park and splash pads, and clean the house few times a day..and of course cooking..

my friend's husband goes jogging everyday 1hr before iftar....with late iftar time it is hard to do anythng after iftar..
    but i think that is over doing it...

sam

Same situation here. Sometimes I don't exercise but now I would love to change now. I do have problem going over my calories during ramadhan but still I can't lose any weight at all.:cry: Hhmm, maybe I'll try house work and 1 litre bottle lifting for a change.:wink: thanks for the suggestions! :flowerforyou:
  • babychoose
    Options
    and to the rest of you, thank you so much for lovely suggestions. :flowerforyou: I would try to do light walking just before breaking my fast so that I won't feel burdened to do it after breaking fast (you tend to be lazy after eating, hehe):laugh:

and maybe after breaking fast, a brisk walk would do. I'm going to abandon any rigorous exercise for the month.