Trying to go vegetarian!!

Options
I'm trying to go vegetarian and I don't know how to do it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• aerial102
    aerial102 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for a month. I suggest watching Forks Over Knives and the Engine 2 Diet on Netflix. Both documentaries helped me start out.
  • heyyitsslivv
    heyyitsslivv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • DamienIsOK
    DamienIsOK Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've been mostly vegetarian for 7 years. (Or I think it's called pescatarian. Basically, I eat seafood about once per year - if that much.) Maybe these tips will help:

1. Ask yourself why you are trying vegetarianism. Health? Animal welfare? Don't like the taste of meat? Experimentation? Personal challenge? All of the above? I recommend thinking of this so you can tailor what you eat. If it's mainly for health, then there are still a lot of things you should avoid outside of just red meat. If you don't like the taste of meat, then there are a lot of recipes that emulate meat that you may want to avoid.

2. Once you've gotten that out of the way, then perhaps you should start small. Try Meatless Mondays (http://www.meatlessmonday.com) or only eat meat for lunch. Whatever works for you! Just don't be hard on yourself if you don't go all in right away or don't ever go 100% veg. Even if you only cut your meat intake by 25%, you're still doing a heck of a lot better than most people.

3. Plan your meals. Like any diet change, the easiest way to make life harder is to not prepare. If you are in school, then make sure you have somewhat healthy food options handy. (It's just as easy to eat badly being a vegetarian.) If you're going to a cookout, then just bring something to toss on the grill. There are tons of good sites out there for quick meals.

4. Finally, prepare to eat a lot more. Vegetables don't have as much calories, protein or fat so you won't get full as quickly. That was the biggest shock to me when I first switched :smile:

I hope this helps. Best of luck!