What's the main food you eat on your weight loss journey?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    hallsan wrote: »
    Egg white, avocado and tabasco sauce for lunch, homemade borscht/veggie soup, salad, skinless boneless chicken breast, and veggies for dinner. Green smoothie or protein drink for breaky. Glycine and d-ribose for sweetener. Urge for carbs faded after a week.

My doctor gave me an acronym: BCPR (before Christ public relations). That means no: Bread, cereal, pasta/pizza/potatoes or rice. Basically no simple carbs or sugars. Whole food from the raw vegetable and meat as opposed to from a box. Everything else is within limits, within the calorie goal.

I have a lot to lose and this has helped me drop quite a few to get me started. I don't expect to eat like this forever, but after I go into maintenance, I can modify.
    Is it my imagination or is the meaning of "simple carbs" shifting...
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Ice cream! I discovered Halo Top and I'm eating way more ice cream than I used to.

Also everything I used to eat, just in smaller portions. And since I've started tracking I stick to a better ratio of macros - get enough protein, fat, carbs etc.

I do like adding protein powder instead of milk to my morning oatmeal - the extra protein helps me snack less at work.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Looking at my macros and foods, yogurt and protein bars float to the top of the list in terms of most recurring food types.

So I guess I am mainly deriving calories from those foods, if that is the real question?

I eat a variety of things of course.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    What's the main food you eat on your weight loss journey?

I really don't understand the question- whether I'm losing weight (last year) or not (now) I eat lots of different types of food. There is no one food that suddenly makes me lose weight, and I don't make radical changes to my diet - I guess I'd say that I shift the balance so I'm eating a higher proportion of fruit/veggies, rice/bread/pasta, meat/chicken/fish and less treats like chocolate, desserts, lollies etc. And of course, to lose weight, I need to pay attention to the amount I'm eating - less calories = weight loss.
    But then, I'm also not on a "journey" - that implies that you reach your destination and then stop, whereas I need good eating habits that keep me healthy for life not just a certain number of weeks or months.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Protein!!! Mostly chicken, Yogurt, eggs, cheese
    Pretzels, protein bars, Ritz's peanut butter crackers
    Those are my "gotta have in the house at all times" foods. What's funny about it is: My daughters have honed in on it now too. I'll portion out the pretzels, and they'll grab a bag and sometimes have it with a "Jif to go" cup of peanut butter. They will also have string cheese, and have even asked me to start getting them "drinkable yogurt" (the oldest likes that).
  • TAMMY7173
    TAMMY7173 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    beans
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I find adding more salad greens into my diet really helpful. Like one of the posters earlier in the thread, I keep a tub of the prewashed greens in the fridge. For me personally, adding more meat has been helpful too.
  • bele2009
    bele2009 Posts: 137 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I basically eat the same food but I now pay attention to serving sizes.

A couple of new best friend food I discovered and are now a staple:
    Liquid egg whites
    Black coffee
    Plain yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    PB 2 (powdered peanut butter)
    Bean Salad
    Tuna
    Whey protein powder
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Eggs everyday& peanut butter :blush:
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I always feel with posts like this that OP is looking for some single food that people successful with weight loss all eat in common, when the answer is that the most successful people understand that eating a variety of foods within a calorie deficit is what is needed for long term success in both weight loss and overall mindset...

Eating the same thing day in and day out would be a quick road to failure for me. Knowing that I can eat all the same foods I love and still reach my weight loss goal and now maintain it is what made me successful...

Knowing I can eat anything I want (in appropriate portions) is important, but I do find that having a small set of meals that I eat most often (especially for breakfast and lunch) makes it easier. If I really want something specific, I can have it - but if I don't really know what I want, I can reach for something I know is both tasty and a good choice (in term of my calorie and nutritional goals). And I can make my lunch in the morning without too much thought.
  • zoedewmelon
    zoedewmelon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bananas are common for me. Also protein shakes as a meal replacement (I make them homemade with powder). Almonds are sometimes common.