Type 1 Diabetics

Options
I'm a 21 year old female who has gained 35-40lbs since high school by eating out all the time. I need to eat healthier, cook more, exercise 3-5days a week, not snack ... All while trying to manage my blood sugars. If anyone wants to give tips and support especially diabetics that would be amazing!

Replies

• quintessential1
    quintessential1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track! Thumbs up! ;)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Why not go to an endocrinologist and dietitian and get accurate information? Your community might have Diabetic education classes check local hospitals.
  • EllaLynn24
    EllaLynn24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm not a fan of this weight loss situation while having type 1 diabetes, it's just making this more difficult. I've been doing this all year and I'm still at the same weight I started with because I keep going over my daily calories AND using those other calories for treating my low blood sugars. I'm obsessing over everything I eat to the point it's probably not healthy for me mentally, but I'm trying to lose weight so I keep trying which causes me to go crazy throughout the day because one snack or meal contains a ton of my calorie limit for the day and then I'm stuck skipping a meal or something and my blood sugars drop.
  • aaxtell411
    aaxtell411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have gone to an endocrinologist and dietitian this week actually! Thanks for the suggestion kmbnurse! Ellalynn I just started but a tip I got was reduce insulin before exercises to avoid eating with lows if that helps. Haven't tried yet!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'd also encourage you to lower your carbohydrate intake to reduce your need for bolus insulin and thus the risk of hypoglycaemia. Many dieticians and nutritionists hypothesize (with no evidence to support this) that going low-carb causes greater BG fluctuations and less control - but people who experiment tend to find the opposite (greater control, less hypos) to be true.

https://diatribe.org/low-carb-vs-high-carb-my-surprising-24-day-diabetes-diet-battle
    http://www.diabetes-low-carb.org/articles/articles-english/my-articles/1-summary-why.html

More and more physicians, scientists, and others in the industry are recommending further looking into carbohydrate restriction as the primary intervention/approach for diabetes:

Journal of Nutrition Review
  • aaxtell411
    aaxtell411 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Albertabeefy, I appreciate the info :) all helpful! Must digest some of this. Thank you.
  • EllaLynn24
    EllaLynn24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Being sick is also a challenge with diabetes. It's great for not going over calories because it takes away my appetite, but it does cause my blood sugars to drop. I have a cold right now and eating is the last thing on my mind when I'm sick, I usually just wanna sleep and take medicine.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Set your goal to half a pound per week. Eat at least half of your burn back and possibly 3/4 of your burn back. I can't help you with a pump since I am on shots but you may need to adjust your insulin down. This isn't going to be a fast loss, it will take time. Be patient, watch what you eat, and be even more patient. Losing weight is a factor of averages as well as maintaining your diabetes.