Healthy meals for busy schedule

Options
So I want to try and make some healthier meals but I am currently working two jobs and when I get home I'm usually too tired to prep and make a huge meal. What are so quick (or at least semi quick) meals that are healthy and will keep my full for most of work? Healthy snack ideas for when I'm at work would appreciated well

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    On Sundays (especially during Fall and Winter), I tend to make a large batch of soup which I then divide into individual portions and freeze. Makes the perfect meal for a busy day. I tend to favor hearty soups (bean soups, stews, etc) because they're filling enough for an entire meal.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What type of foods do you like to eat? What type of cooking do you like to do? Do you have a pressure cooker...crockpot...food processor???
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nuts are always good snacks. I usually buy in bulk and then portion them in snack bags and label them for 100-150 calories.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Throw something in crockpot while at work. Divide up into portions.
  • Its_Haleeyy
    Its_Haleeyy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    What type of foods do you like to eat? What type of cooking do you like to do? Do you have a pressure cooker...crockpot...food processor???

I'm a really picky eater so that's where it gets kind of tricky. I like chicken, beef, stuff like that but I don't like any veggies really (Only carrots if they have ranch).

My dad has pretty much everything at the house as far as crockpots and whatnot
  • Its_Haleeyy
    Its_Haleeyy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nuts are always good snacks. I usually buy in bulk and then portion them in snack bags and label them for 100-150 calories.

Yeah that's what I did today. I brought in a small bag of peanuts and a small bag of kit kat minis to munch on at work
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    plenty of frozen veggies and lean meats which only require a little seasonings and place in an oven as well. Stirfry takes very little time if you buy your veggies already cut up and add lean protein.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

I'm a really picky eater so that's where it gets kind of tricky. I like chicken, beef, stuff like that but I don't like any veggies really (Only carrots if they have ranch).

I've discovered the awesomeness of frozen veggies, because I can add them to all sorts of dishes and then smother them in sauce :D My favorite combo is frozen California blend veggies mixed in with white rice, canned chicken and then Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n' sour sauce. Takes under 10 minutes to put together and it tastes great!

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I make turkey chili almost every week to keep on hand. I also precook rice or some type of bean. When I am short on time or don't feel like cooking I have chili over rice, beans, pasta or a baked potato. It takes about an hour(longer cooking time in a crockpot but you can just leave it to cook) You can get several meals from it(I usually triple the recipe). Chili is something that you can put whatever you want in. I have even put sweet potatoes in it.

This is the recipe that I use and I just make variations of it. The recipe is for a crockpot but I usually do it on the stove.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-kid-friendly-turkey-chili/
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I fry up some vegetarian sausages, then I put two in a whole wheat tortilla with some siracha sauce, then they keep in the fridge till I need them and then nuke for 30 seconds.

I'm not a vegetarian, I just like veggie sausages.
  • lala_1416
    lala_1416 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eggs! Fry them (with olive oil), boil them, make a casserole or an omelette.. there's 100 ways to cook em and most only take a few minutes.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend getting yourself a slow cooker. :) When I was working two jobs, it was a life-saver! Just throw it in before you go to work and you have a hot meal waiting for you by the time you get home. This thread has tons of great, easy recipes to get you started--
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/372359/bring-your-crockpot-slow-cooker-recipes
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Boil eggs in bulk, make lunch wraps for the whole week, boil or bake chicken breast enough for a whole week of dinner. Any veggies I do on the fly because it doesn't take that long to cook. Nuts, raisens, and cheese sticks are good for snacks.
  • fitlife07
    fitlife07 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always sear some chicken breasts and cook veggies on weekends, make enough for the whole week. Put them in the fridge or freezer and just reheat them when I'm gonna eat them or before I head to work.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    On Sundays (especially during Fall and Winter), I tend to make a large batch of soup which I then divide into individual portions and freeze. Makes the perfect meal for a busy day. I tend to favor hearty soups (bean soups, stews, etc) because they're filling enough for an entire meal.

Same. I make a few at a time, portion and freeze.
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I try to make a. Inch of meals for the week on Sunday. I usually try to make a huge salad (that I split up each day) and a crock pot. I also try to make a bunch of meals to freeze ahead of time so it's easy enough to grab. I do a mix of very healthy and then Smaller batches of more unhealthy meals that I know I crave sometimes. Like I have some mini calzones frozen. They are small and have tons of veggies, but are perfect when I know I want some carbs. There is a great crock pot cookbook by Americas Test Kitchen. It's the "healthy" slow cooker cookbook. I quadrupole the sweet and tangy chicken and freeze it.