Elliptical or just walking ?

Options
I've been using the elliptical for 50 mins everyday ( I burn 300 calories ) but lately its been getting a bit boring . So I've been walking my dog instead and using the elliptical for 10-15 mins only.
Is it better this way or better to just use the elliptical machine to burn cals?

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    It's better to do something you enjoy! Feels less like a chore and is easier to do long-term.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    50 minutes on an elliptical sounds like absolute purgatory to me.

Better or not depends on the outcomes you're after, so in the absence of more information it's impossible to say.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You are just wanting to burn cals and there is no other fitness goal? Then anything that you want to do.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You are just wanting to burn cals and there is no other fitness goal? Then anything that you want to do.

Yep
    For maintaining my current weight
  • active562
    Options
    50 minutes on an elliptical sounds like absolute purgatory to me.

Better or not depends on the outcomes you're after, so in the absence of more information it's impossible to say.

I mean its not that bad because I watch tv while I do it but still gets boring after a while
    My goal : just maintain my weight and get better at yoga
  • active562
    Options
    It's better to do something you enjoy! Feels less like a chore and is easier to do long-term.

Kudos ! And changing it up is good as well!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how hard you push it on the elliptical and how aggressively you walk your dog. When I do the elliptical, my level of effort is several notches above "walking the dog".

According to my exercise diary, based on my heart rate my Apple Watch estimates that I burn about twice as many calories per minute on the elliptical as I do walking.

That said, you have to do things that you can sustain. I enjoy the elliptical as long as I have good music to listen to, but I also try to mix it up with other things on a regular basis.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yeah, if I had to depend on any steady-state machine to burn calories and that's it, I'd be in trouble. I've "evolved" over my weightloss journey, from walking only, to the occasional machine (I DO like elliptical but occasionally when I'm up for listening to my rockin' tunes), to mountain biking, and lately pickleball and weightlifting.

Find what you like, try new things, shake it up a bit and have fun. If it becomes a chore, eventually you'll rationalize it away; with nothing as a back-up, the trajectory doesn't look good.

And walking the pup is a good thing. I continue to walk almost daily, about 3-5 miles each morning with the dog and some neighbors, unless it's pouring rain or my schedule doesn't allow it.
  • leo0933
    leo0933 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are many things to take into consideration. Some people do the elliptical because it is less pounding for them on knees and etc. Some use it to switch it up from walking. Some like to walk outside because they enjoy that nature of being outside instead of being inside. It depends all on your goals, desires, and needs.
    For example my goal for me is to lose body fat and make big changes with my body. So I do HIIT (high intensity interval training) sprints or etc. This helps with a higher fat burn and I don't have to do long steady cardio.

You may not go as hard core as I do or a bodybuilder for example. Then on the other hand, the same princples apply to us all when trying to make serious changes. Which is being consistent, committed, and putting a good plan together that consist of nutrition, strength training/cardio, and rest. You put a plan together that works for YOUR NEEDS, GOALS, AND BODY TYPE.

If walking works for you then do so by all means. If you are trying to make a serious change, make sure you challenge yourself within your limits and you are consistent with your plan that you have in place. If your doing it just for recreation purposes or to keep active enjoy it and do what feels good and makes you happy while being active.

Enjoy and keep up the good work. #maximumeffortatalltimes
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The only way I can do a long time on any machine is to have something good to listen to or watch. I actually listen to digital library books when I workout. I use an app called overdrive that connects with most local libraries to check out audio books. This really helps time to go by quicker. If you don't read, maybe tell yourself you can only watch a certain tv show on your iPad or tv if you are on the elliptical.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

This.

I don't see the need to restrict to one or the other. When I do the elliptical, I have movies/music or something going, and I hit that thing with pretty much max effort. When walking I just enjoy. I'm pretty close to maintenance myself, and either way I'm burning calories, and a 1 or 2 hundred calorie difference here and there isn't going to derail me. Have fun with it, whatever you do.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    My goal : just maintain my weight and get better at yoga

So in that case neither one is better than the other, you just need to be aware of what your calorie consumption is. Walking is fairly easy to forecast; 0.3*bodyweight in lbs = cals per mile, or you could use a GPS tracking app on your phone. Elliptical has too many variables to meaningfully forecast calorie expenditure.

As others have highlighted, the main thing is to do something that you'll sustain and enjoy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I walk outside for about an hour a day. The elliptical doesn't account for balancing and resistance as much, plus walking is a natural motion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png