Is it bad to comfort eat when ill?

Options
Feeling pretty bad today. Didn't sleep well/ cold/ allergies/ I think I worked too hard (serious exercise, work, etc.)

Anyway, point is, I was wondering if anyone else comfort eats when they have flu or fever or cold, and whether this is a bad thing. I Googled it - as you do - and the response was mixed. So people think that your metabolism increases to raise temperature and fight the virus, some say it slows down as you do less exercise. Another site says not to worry too much about it and allow yourself a few days of eating what you want.

I've eaten fairly normally today. Breakfast was Bran Flakes/ Raisins/ Milk, Lunch was Soup/ Bread, but I've had quite a bit of chocolate too :S

Just to gauge what you think, and what you've done in the past and your opinions on the matter.

Thanks, Kat x

Replies

• forthespace
    Options
    I am exactly the same! When I feel sick, I eat. Strange :) But I don't think its too bad as long as you stick reasonably to your diet, as you seem have done, and any chocolate that you factor in just make sure you dont go over your normal daily calories too extremely! Maybe you will get a fever and sweat it all out :D
  • rosequoll
    rosequoll Posts: 27
    Options
    I was down with the flu about a month ago, for about a week (real bad) and a second week at a 'sort of sick' level.

I upped my calories to maintenance level, and still dropped over a KG in that week. More than I normally ever lost, and I didn't put it back on after. I'd say you burn more because your body is fighting off the cold. At least it worked that way for me.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    In my experience, eating a lot of sugar just seems to feed the virus and I feel worse and stay sick longer. When your body is sick and trying to repair itself, good nutritition is even more important at this time, in my opinion.

feel better!