Unable to lose weight on hips and thighs

Options
Perfcon
Perfcon Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All,

I am hoping some women out there have gone through a similar journey, and can offer some diet and training advice.

I am a 28 year old female. 150 lbs; 5'6". I've been on my fitness journey for the past 5 years, but find myself plateaued at this weight. Although my weight is currently 'healthy', since I am pear-shaped, my hips and thighs appear much larger on my overall structure. For e.g. I wear tops that are at least two sizes smaller than my jeans/skirts.

I am at a loss as to how I might change this. I just want a balanced body, and want to be healthy and fit. It's driving me crazy, and I would truly be grateful for any advice.

Thank you!!

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I'm pear shaped and also 5ft, 6in and I had to get my bmi down to the lower end of the healthy range before my lower half started leaning out. My current maintenance range is 130lbs-135lbs.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the same body type as you and similar in age and weight but you're taller. Anyways, it will just take time and even if you lose weight, you will still be a pear. You will just be a smaller pear.

That's what happened to me. I strength train and improved my body composition but I'm still a pear. It's just genetics. But there's nothing wrong with being a pear...or any body shape for that matter.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    what's your current body fat %?

I would say it's pretty common for women to have a problem leaning out, especially in the hips and thighs. I've known some women with visible abdominals and pudgy thighs.

For reference, i'm also a pear so I know the struggle.
  • eewb42
    eewb42 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you.....pear shape and all. I agree with crzycatlady1......for me, in order for my hips and thighs to look slimmer I too have to lose down to the lower end of my BMI. Did it before and now I'm trying to do it again. The struggle is real!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the same body type as you and similar in age and weight but you're taller. Anyways, it will just take time and even if you lose weight, you will still be a pear. You will just be a smaller pear.

That's what happened to me. I strength train and improved my body composition but I'm still a pear. It's just genetics. But there's nothing wrong with being a pear...or any body shape for that matter.

This^

Dang genetics! Even at a too low weight I was a pear (5'5" - 106 lbs). Strength training will help you somewhat. Just do the best you can.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yep, genetics and the inability to spot reduce. I've learned to embrace my pearness.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Same story here - I had to get down to below BMI 23 before my hips started leaning out. What also helped was building up my upper body (esp) shoulders with weight training. My shoulders are now wider than my hips for the first time in my adult life (including when I was a super skinny teen).
  • Perfcon
    Perfcon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! This is really helpful :) So basically my target BMI needs to be a bit lower than what it is now. I'll do my best! Please feel free to share any other insights you have! Happy Holidays!