Sooo... I'm new to this losing weight thing

Options
In fact, I'm so new, I need to lose at least 100lbs - yeesh. But I need to know where to begin. I'm committing to logging my food daily and staying within a certain daily intake. I'll be doing this 6 months at a time to pace myself and not get overwhelmed. I'm planning on meeting with my DR in the month of January to get an official game plan going. I'm curious, though, to hear what good advice you guys have especially if you needed to lose a significant amount of weight like I'm trying to lose.
Thanks!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    All great points from wolfman. And if you don't already have one, buy yourself a food scale. Your success with MFP hinges largely on logging both consistently and accurately.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You're thinking too far ahead already. I wouldn't worry about six months from now or a hundred pounds from now. Focus on today. Focus on losing one pound. Then, focus on tomorrow, focus on the next pound, and so on. If you start thinking about how far you have to go you are never going to get there.

There's no secret or trick to weight loss. It's just about burning more calories than you consume. Calories in < calories out. You don't have to eliminate foods you love or only eat a certain amount of carbs. You can if you want to, but it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • McKay85
    McKay85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, new to all of this calorie counting and have about 50lbs to lose. It's almost overwhelming. When you meet up with your Doctor they will be able to tell you what you need to work on and give you a better estimate of how many calories you need. My Doctor has me at 1400 since I sit around and do nothing...and to start tracking my steps. Just little things. I was surprised she didn't say "you have to start running and lifting weights and taking all of your favorite foods out of your diet!" It was less intimidating after the appointment. The worse thing you can do when trying to lose weight is stressing yourself out. Take your time and have patience, lots of patience!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Small changes can make a really big difference over time. You don't need to overhaul your entire life on day 1--think "lifestyle change" instead of "diet" and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish. Congratulations on getting started!
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 lbs using MFP and have kept it off for almost 4 years now. It has to be a lifestyle change or it doesn't last. You can do it.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Read the stickied posts at the beginning of the weight loss section- knowledge is power!
  • bigpete44
    bigpete44 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Stay focused and stay off the scale. I started at 381 back in May I was hitting the gym 4x's a week and kept wondering for a couple of months why the scales weren't reflecting my success finally I posted on here and that was one of the best pieces of advice I am down around 344 now my body composition has changed so I can testify that if you put the time in and adjust your eating habits the weight will come off.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I started on Oct 21 with 95lbs to lose. I logged everything and even though I was being "careful," I was still blew through my calorie goal 15 days that first month. Then I cut my portions and switched from wine to herbal teas. In these last few weeks, I had 10 glorious days IN A ROW under my calorie goal and exceeded the goal only 7 times in 30 days...and that includes Christmas Eve and day. So I'm getting better!

Even with all my mistakes and overage days, I've lost 7lbs so far. So don't lose heart or look too far ahead. By being more attentive and logging, changes will come.
  • FinallyReady2017
    Options
    McKay85 wrote: »
    In fact, I'm so new, I need to lose at least 100lbs - yeesh. But I need to know where to begin. I'm committing to logging my food daily and staying within a certain daily intake. I'll be doing this 6 months at a time to pace myself and not get overwhelmed. I'm planning on meeting with my DR in the month of January to get an official game plan going. I'm curious, though, to hear what good advice you guys have especially if you needed to lose a significant amount of weight like I'm trying to lose.
    Thanks!

I'm on the same boat as you! I just went to the doctor today and came up with a game plan. I've yo yoed a lot being successful sometimes and failing miserably other times. Many of the comments here are very right, you have to take it one day at time and break it into smaller goals. I need to lose around 80lbs. I want to be as close to that as possible by my birthday in late July. Will it happen, with lots of effort and commitment probably come close to it! I'd love to add you so we can support each other in this long journey ahead of us! We got this!!!

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Babs2Baby wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, new to all of this calorie counting and have about 50lbs to lose. It's almost overwhelming. When you meet up with your Doctor they will be able to tell you what you need to work on and give you a better estimate of how many calories you need. My Doctor has me at 1400 since I sit around and do nothing...and to start tracking my steps. Just little things. I was surprised she didn't say "you have to start running and lifting weights and taking all of your favorite foods out of your diet!" It was less intimidating after the appointment. The worse thing you can do when trying to lose weight is stressing yourself out. Take your time and have patience, lots of patience!

Just be aware... not all doctors are particularly knowledgeable about nutrition and weight loss. From what I've seen here in the forums, their advice often amounts to a random number (usually lower than it needs to be) and to "limit carbs". Unless there is a particular medical condition involved, I often think a person would be better served finding their own calorie allowance and plan of attack here on MFP.
  • McKay85
    McKay85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    McKay85 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I'm on the same boat as you! I just went to the doctor today and came up with a game plan. I've yo yoed a lot being successful sometimes and failing miserably other times. Many of the comments here are very right, you have to take it one day at time and break it into smaller goals. I need to lose around 80lbs. I want to be as close to that as possible by my birthday in late July. Will it happen, with lots of effort and commitment probably come close to it! I'd love to add you so we can support each other in this long journey ahead of us! We got this!!!

My birthday is in July, too!!! I would LOVE to be down some weight by then! But I am really listening to everyone. I will take this one day at a time, put in time and consistency while exercising some grace. I'm with you on this, too! We will do our best for ourselves and be proud because of our honest efforts. I will work on my smaller goals, but I can say I'm committing to one day at a time