Pregnant and morbidly obese

Options
I'm in quite a pickle. I have just started really attempting to lose weight (again - but the first time with this site and app). Anyway I had lost 11 pounds-yea! I learned I was pregnant and the doctor pulled me off of medicine that had a diuretic in it. In 8 days I have "gained" 15 pounds and am quite upset. Does anyone have any ideas or any similar circumstances that you can share? I feel like I'm watching a train wreck!

Thanks!
Christina

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Can you try to watch your diet,esp the salt.Can you do low impact exercises.Drink water.
    Congrats on the new baby.
    Do the best you can to take care of you and the baby.
    good luck
    jane:flowerforyou:
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I was 295 lbs when I was pregnant with my second. I followed the gestational diabetic diet (I had GD) and throughout the whole pregnancy gained 4lbs (the doctor told me if I topped 300 he'd have to send me downtown to a different hospital so I had good motivation). I also walked every day.

When I left the hospital I was 285lbs. By the time I'd been nursing for two weeks I was down to 270. I'm sure I would have kept on losing if I'd stayed on the diet and kept walking.

Ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist. I'm sure they can help keep you at the best possible weight. And Congratulations!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You can still make healthy food choices and exercise (Just avoid anything that puts strain on your back). If anything, now you should have more motivation to be healthy. Congrats on your little one. :smile:
  • mommy2boysaz
    mommy2boysaz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse midwife and whole heartedly agree with the above posts. Ask your doctor to set you up with a nutritionist or a diabetes educator (even if you don't yet have diabetes). They are wonderful resources and can help you!
    Several simple, yet effective suggestions: Cut out soda and replace it with water. LOTS of water.
    Eat some protein every time you eat. This will help you to naturally limit carbs.
    Use a site like this one to manage your calories.

But, I still hope you can find a nutritionist or diabetes educator. They will help you have a healthy pregnancy and give your baby a healthy mama! Best wishes to you!!
  • shifthappens2011
    Options
    My neighbor was 268 when she learned she was pregnant. Her doctor discussed it with her and handed her the old weight watchers program guide. It was an old copy from about 20 years ago before all the points stuff. He told her that if she ate healthy (lean protein, veggies, fruits and took her "treats" from the sources he'd listed (things like sugar free fudge pops) that she would come out of the pregnancy better than when she went in. She walked every day. She had a healthy baby girl. And she came home from the hospital 14 pounds less than the day she learned she was pregnant. She said it was the easiest she'd ever eaten well because she was so motivated. While she lost weight, her pregnancy was actually more obvious because her roll became a bump. This was about 5 years ago now. She leveled out about 220. Never got skinny but has never gained back the 50ish she lost.

Talk to your doctor. In the meantime, you do need to watch your sodium intake very carefully and make sure you are getting enough water. 8 pounds is a lot of water weight to carry so I can understand your concern. But as long as you know it's just water, it will go away again very soon.

And congrats on the coming baby!
  • dixiecricket13
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice. I didn't even think to follow a gestational diabetes diet. I was 230 when I became pregnant with my daughter and gained 10 pounds until the last 6 weeks of pregnancy. I ended up gaining a total of 40 pounds. I immediately lost it all but still ate as if I had my calorie burner in my tummy still. Fast forward 7 years and I was 290 when I learned I was pregnant with this time. My doctor doesn't seem overly concerned and told me it was perfectly ok for me to try and lose weight for the duration of my pregnancy; but I am worried because this seems to be the opposite of everything that I read online.

Thanks for the well wishes and keep your fingers crossed for me...... I think I'm going to need it!
    -C
  • Emilyanne78
    Options
    Hello Christina,

My name is Emily, and I am in the same boat as you. We just found out about 6 weeks ago that we're expecting our second in February, which is wonderful BUT I still haven't lost the weight from my other daughter. To top it all off I was over weight when I was preg. with my first as well. Ugh! So now I am at the embarising weight of 260 lbs and so scared I'm going to gain more weight with this one. My friend Olivia (I thinks she's under ohfong) introduced me to this site which has be helpful but all in all we have to be dilligent to what we put into our bodies. I know it is SOOOO easy to say that but to do it is another thing, so with all that said, come and join me and we both can try our best to be obedieant to our bodies for the sake of our little one. :)

Emily