Back pain and Lifting Weights?

Options
I have really bad lower back pain. It bothers me on a day to day basis and sometimes it hurts so bad I wince when I walk. I really want to start lifting weights and I hear that it helps with joint pain because it actually strengthens you.
What I'm asking is can I start lifting weights even if I have chronic lower back pain or is this something I should stay away from?

Replies

• Babs2Baby
    Babs2Baby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't have a herniated disc or anything its just sore from sitting down all day. And yeah I figured as much I would have to ask them. Was also curious if anyone had any success stories from lifting weight and back pain.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Pain is your body's way of letting you know it's injured. Continuing to lift or exercise when pain exists is generally not a good idea. Your back is vital to the function of your entire body. Do yourself a favor and get it checked out before continuing.
  • Babs2Baby
    Options
    Pain is your body's way of letting you know it's injured. Continuing to lift or exercise when pain exists is generally not a good idea. Your back is vital to the function of your entire body. Do yourself a favor and get it checked out before continuing.
    Thanks! Guess I've got and appointment with the chiropractor.
  • manther88
    manther88 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease and when I lift too heavy my back will hurt, so it's best just to start out with a low weight for as long as it takes then slowly increase weight. Proper form is better then how much weight you lift. Even if you only do a few reps. If my back hurts I don't do lifting again until the pain goes away because I could injure myself even more and that wouldn't be good. Lol
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Babs2Baby wrote: »
    I don't have a herniated disc or anything its just sore from sitting down all day. And yeah I figured as much I would have to ask them. Was also curious if anyone had any success stories from lifting weight and back pain.

yes weight lifting basically made all my back pain go away. If there is nothing wrong with your back other than being tight from sitting all day, start by stretching a lot. get some blood flowing into your muscles and get them active . then learn the proper form for each lift, and start lifting.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yes, strengthening my back AND core helps my lower back, and I do have a bulging disc. But first, I would make 100% sure you DON'T have a back problem by seeing a doctor.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I second what SonyaCele suggests. Especially about form.
    I have tight hips and ankles and if I work out with out stretching them, I'll end up with bad lower back pain... Way back before I knew this I did some lying calf raises and for like 2 weeks I thought I was permanently injured. I looked up and pinpointed what kind of pain I had and then how to relieve it. Lifting has helped my back pain a lot and knowing good form has helped a lot. Back in Feb. when I first tried deadlifts and squats, my form was off and I kept hurting my knee. I thought my knees were bad, they weren't. I was doing the lift wrong and had tight ankles... So really information is your friend. If you think lifting will be good for you, learn all about it. I always recommend Alan Thrall videos on Youtube, but there are lots of videos you can find and articles to read. I love lifting and I hope you try it and have a great experience with it. It really pays off!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My back pain has almost completely disappeared since starting strength training. Stronger core is the KEY, but the specific exercises could vary depending on your condition. Most things should be ok, but there might be one or two you should avoid. Get evaluated by a physical therapist or someone with expertise in sports medicine. This may or may not be your doctor.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    definitely something that needs medical approval, although i don't know if there's been anyone who made a bad back worse by learning to activate and use their glutes and lower abdominal muscles. personally, i think i'd start by exploring ways to make the existing pain go away, and move on to actual lifting once i felt like i was on the path back from that.

specifically, what i mean is NOT lifting particularly for compound exercises. instead just do physio research etc and try to work on isolating the specific muscles that might be contributing to the problem. i can say from experience that it's pretty hard to know what good form feels like when your body's giving you mixed messages about what is 'normal' and what isn't. aside from the risks, it just makes the learning itself a wasted effort.

learn to lift when you feel better. right now just learning to feel better sounds like a worthwhile project.
  • kandisjoy
    kandisjoy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from back pain for almost my entire life, but it has gotten especially bad since I started sitting down for work. I started working out (yoga once per week and strength & conditioning twice per week) several months ago and I have noticed a HUGE difference in my back pain. I really believe that it's mostly my core that needed strengthening, although everything else is great too. I have lost 12 pounds, so I'm sure the weight loss helped too, but I have been thin before and still had horrid back pain. Work out, as long as your doctor is cool with it. Strengthen your core. Planks are fun!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would not start by thinking about "lifting weights" per se, but there are exercises you can safely do that can help with strengthening and stabilizing the core, as well as teach body awareness. Wall push-ups, step ups, bird dogs, pallof presses, planks, glute raises and dead bugs can all be helpful.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my lower back that developed from scoliosis. I have to stretch and exercise every day or it "acts up" and things go bad. However, I have specific active stretches prescribed for me to do when it is "acting up" so I don't aggravate the pain. I've worked with some fantastic physical therapists over the years who've helped me navigate my back pain through desk jobs and driving jobs and labor jobs. I'd say starting out with a professional is key.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    May I suggest getting the back pain relieved before lifting. Good idea to get it looked at. I suggest yoga to strengthen and make the back more flexible, rather than getting into a lifting program right away.
  • Babs2Baby
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    Babs2Baby wrote: »

yes weight lifting basically made all my back pain go away. If there is nothing wrong with your back other than being tight from sitting all day, start by stretching a lot. get some blood flowing into your muscles and get them active . then learn the proper form for each lift, and start lifting.

I am just starting out. Like I have never really exercised or stretched in my life which is probably why the soreness is there. I will start with doing some stretches and see if that helps but hold off on lifting anything until I see a doctor. I know that it's all about keeping your back straight and not getting tensed up. Oh gee maybe I should get a personal trainer.
  • Babs2Baby
    Options
    Yes, strengthening my back AND core helps my lower back, and I do have a bulging disc. But first, I would make 100% sure you DON'T have a back problem by seeing a doctor.
    Yikes! I'm glad this is working out for you! I know it might not get rid of the pain 100% but I would love to be able to stand up from my desk and not be in pain, haha. And yes I will have to make an appointment about that and see if anything is wrong or if I'm just a fata**

• Babs2Baby
    Options
    I second what SonyaCele suggests. Especially about form.
    I have tight hips and ankles and if I work out with out stretching them, I'll end up with bad lower back pain... Way back before I knew this I did some lying calf raises and for like 2 weeks I thought I was permanently injured. I looked up and pinpointed what kind of pain I had and then how to relieve it. Lifting has helped my back pain a lot and knowing good form has helped a lot. Back in Feb. when I first tried deadlifts and squats, my form was off and I kept hurting my knee. I thought my knees were bad, they weren't. I was doing the lift wrong and had tight ankles... So really information is your friend. If you think lifting will be good for you, learn all about it. I always recommend Alan Thrall videos on Youtube, but there are lots of videos you can find and articles to read. I love lifting and I hope you try it and have a great experience with it. It really pays off!

I saw some videos online where they use rollers before lifting and at first I thought it was a little silly looking but it makes sense. IDK, I'm still new to all of this so everything seems weird to me. I'm so sorry you had to go through that pain :C
    I hope to start doing some lifting to help my back but first I'm going to see if it gets better from stretching, maybe do some yoga and if it still hurts I'm going to confirm it with a doctor. Or just go to the doctor first. I was going to the chiropractor but stopped after I moved.
    I'll have to give Alan a watch! I have been looking here and there and it's been interesting. Also been reading some articles. Still overwhelmed.
  • Babs2Baby
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    My back pain has almost completely disappeared since starting strength training. Stronger core is the KEY, but the specific exercises could vary depending on your condition. Most things should be ok, but there might be one or two you should avoid. Get evaluated by a physical therapist or someone with expertise in sports medicine. This may or may not be your doctor.

That's awesome! Congratulations!
    Right now I am just doing walking and I feel my back tense up, I will have to see what's going on and hopefully it's not as bad as it feels! Thanks for the advice!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My Chiro and massage therapist are usually pretty good at recommending/demonstrating stretches that can be done at home in between visits. I see them at least once a week. I had a back injury several years ago (not exactly sure what, but we think it was muscular) and a chronically tight lower back. Lifting has helped a lot, but you'll definitely want to start slow.
  • AnnetteJones4
    AnnetteJones4 Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you sit a lot and you have pain /discomfort but no injuries work on abdominal strength. And start doing extensions like baby cobras laying on your belly with your forearms staying on the ground for support , inhale and lift your head and shoulders up off the ground. (Don't kink your neck. ). This both helps release the shortened psoas and strengthen the low back. It will take time.I know what you really want to do is twist your legs across your body but you need to counter act sitting and rounding your back to alleviate back pain. Do some planks to strengthen your deeper abs. As you exhale make the he ssshhhhhh sound like you are trying to quiet someone and you will feel the deeper muscles engage.

When you feel like you know when you have these engaged you need to remember that feeling when you lift. Otherwise it is a weight lifting injury waiting to happen.