On an extremely low fat diet due to health problems. Need suggestions!

Options
I'm having some health problems that make me extremely nauseous, headachy, and exhausted if I eat any heartburn triggers. Acidic foods are easy enough to avoid. However, I can only tolerate about 2-3 grams of fat per meal. I'm having a difficult time finding protein sources that are this low in fat. Does anyone have any suggestions for foods that are low fat and high protein? So far I've got 0% greek yogurt, egg whites, and protein powder.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Beans are high in protein and (usually) low in fat. Lentils, for example, have 18 grams of protein and less than 1 gram of fat per cup.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    shrimp, chicken and other lean meats
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, shrimp, cod (and other white flaky fish), egg white, most beans, lentils, etc...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    skim milk and seitan.

Have you consulted a doctor or dietician about this? Unless you're eating 10 meals a day, I don't see how you could be meeting your body's bare minimum needs for fat and essential fatty acids at 2 or 3 grams of fat per meal. Long-term, you could end up with much more serious health problems than nausea, headaches, fatigue, and heartburn (not belittling those problems -- I would be looking to eliminate the triggers too if I were in your situation).
  • betterwhenimdancin
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@lynn_glenmont Thanks for your comment, I had't thought of that, mostly because when I had this problem for an entire year in 2011 my old doctor wasn't concerned about my low fat intake. My current doc put me on a PPI and now I can handle about 6 grams of fat per meal! I usually get these problems due to stress and usually that stress is caused by an under active thyroid. I'm getting blood work done today. Hopefully it will clear up soon.
  • sandyskw1967
    sandyskw1967 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just read your post, how are things going? Are you thyroid issues causing you stress? If so is your doctor dealing with the thyroid issue? I have hashimotos, (my sister too) my wellness doctor is constantly following my thyroid and adjusting it if needed. If I were still dealing with my regular GP, she would be doing nothing yet, and I'm sure I would not be feeling as well as I do when it's controlled well.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    When I had gallstones I had to go on a very low fat diet. It was hard and I lost a lot of weight which I didn't need to lose. Basically homemade vegetable soup (no oil),egg white,zero fat yoghurt,lean chicken and white fish,dry bread,mashed potato (with skimmed milk),rice,clear soup ,jelly (jello)jam,honey,fruit(non acidic) and veg.
    Your symptoms sound a lot like mine were;have you been scanned for gallstones? I also suffer from chronic gastritis with similar symptoms
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Boneless, skinless turkey breast.