wife having weight loss surgery.

2»

Replies

• jlp419
    jlp419 Posts: 14 Member
    My co-worker had WLS. She has gone in to have the tube connecting to her stomach stretched several times because after surgery, it was too tight. She couldn't have solids at all.
    I'm not against it, but remember it's a major surgery, and requires a lifestyle change for good.
    Good luck!
  • lsutton484 wrote: »
    My main argument is that she's lost 38lbs on her own and that if she just works at it for another year or 2 the other weight will come off slowly without permanently altering her internals. For now an injury to her hip, knee, and foot has kept her for exercising for the last 5 months. I have told her that she has done something I couldn't do lose weight without the added use of exercise calories.

I have lost and gained 30-40 pounds multiple times. I have tried and failed at just about everything, and have now decided that I am getting the sleeve after the 1st of the year. I used to think that surgery was "the magic pill", but have since changed my mindset because I have watched many of my co-workers lose the weight just to gain it right back. After speaking with many, I have found that the ones who succeeded are the ones who used it as a tool for a lifestyle change and not as a magic pill. I am trying to prepare myself by changing my eating habits, working out, and incorporating daily changes. I am learning a lot through research & asking lots of questions. Ask your wife to add me as a friend on Myfitnesspal so we can go through the journey together & hopefully encourage one another. :smiley: I have already talked to the physician who will be doing my surgery and accomplished most of the tasks that were required of me. I agree with your wife, I don't know that I will be around much longer without the surgery. I don't have any medical complications now, but it is just a matter of time. I'm almost 50 and need to take control now before it is too late.

• ksutter70
    ksutter70 Posts: 10 Member
    I was put on my first diet at age 7 and have been on that rollercoaster nearly 40 years. Ive lost, gained and lost again so many times. I had wls in october of this year and have had no complications. Surgery is a tool. Its not a quick fix. For me, weight loss is secondary to the other health benefits .i have experienced - I was a diabetic for 16 years, on 3 meds taking 6-8 shots a day. My blood pressure was high and required meds to control. I had bleeds in my eyes, nerve damage in my feet and ulcers on my toes that in 2 years I hadnt been able to heal. Since surgery, I have not had to take ANY meds except tylenol for a few days post op. My eyes are good and the ulcers on my toes are gone. This surgery has made a huge impact on my health and my life expectancy. I will take vitamins for life, well worth it
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2016
    My aunt and mother in law had it done and both have gained the weight back. It's definitely not an easy way out and it certainly doesn't magically make you thin, i think the lowest my aunt got was 180lbs. You have to work at it, work hard and you still need to maintain. For it to be successful you must change your lifestyle and eating habits... just as if you were to lose weight using MFP.

Some people go down this path because they're prediabetic and it can "reverse" that, some have high blood pressure or other issues and this path will help with a lot of those problems which could become a lot worse if no action is taken... For some it forces them to start changing their lifestyles and for some they go back to their old ways.. but i imagine your partners GP has look at the pros and cons and has seen that it's a benifit.

With a BMI over 44, I was offered this option but turned it down as i know i can lose the weight on my own and now I'm around 214lbs and still losing. I'm glad to go down this path but for some having the surgery is a must.

I hope you both chose what's best of your overall health and i hope you both reach your goals and have a healthier life.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I thank you all for the words of encouragement and those of you who are against the procedure we took your advice into consideration but yesterday she underwent gastric sleeve surgery. This is just a step along our journey it may be a big step but still just a step. Now she has to do the work.
  • laffercat
    laffercat Posts: 902 Member
    I had sleeve surgery 9/30/15. Best decision I ever made! I hope your wife has much success. I had no complications at all and feel awesome now. 125 pounds down.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    I am almost 2 years post op with the vsg (sleeve). It too was a VERY hard choice to make! It is a tool. After 5 years of doing everything I could to lose the weight and my health starting to go down hill we felt it was the best option. I started at 250lbs..... I would say I'm around 160-155ish, I don't weigh myself anymore because I refuse to be driven by a number on a scale. I will ALWAYS battle with food. I will ALWAYS have to workout. When I quit the weight comes back on.
    As I type this I'm eating egg whites, salmon and avocado. This evening I will be attending my first Ju Jitsu class, tomorrow I will go running, and Sunday I will start my 1000 mile challenge for 2017. Having the surgery didn't make lose weight, it just made it possible for me to lose the weight. Having the surgery didn't make me get up every morning, or put down the chips and pick up the water. I had to make those choices. People fail when they lose their support, when people no longer encourage them to keep going, when people make them feel guilty for not eating that birthday cake, or a bigger slice of grandmas lasagna. And believe me it happens. She can do this, but only if you help her along the way!!!
    q9xxityl3shw.jpg
    zur0wue9eow5.jpg