New Years Peeve - It's that time of year

Options
Oxytocin_Panda
Oxytocin_Panda Posts: 464 Member
2017 is days away, resolutions will be made & Santa gave out gym memberships. So the question is: What is your biggest peeve with Newbies and lack of gym etiquette (for the 5 weeks they will be there)?
-Talking/texting on their phones while working out?
- Hogging every weight?
- Sitting on a piece of equipment for a ridiculous amount of time?
- staring at the opposite sex while 'working out' ?
- Leaving DB's lying around/Bars left loaded?
- Not wiping down the equipment/using a towel?

Replies

• Oxytocin_Panda
    Oxytocin_Panda Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My pet peeve is actually the long timers who think that they own the gym and talk loudly or yell at each other without giving a *kitten* on whether they are bothering other people or not.

so true.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    What is this gym place people talk about? :D
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is people that don't wipe down their machines.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    most newbies head for the treadmills and ellipticals; I spent most of my time in the weight room so they're not a big deal.... but do mix in some machines.

it's the folks that camp out on any piece of equipment that bugs me.
    If they're using it, great. If not, let others work in.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    I applaud gym newbies/resolutioners. At least they are making an effort, and sometimes it takes more than one try to succeed.

That said, I just dislike the crowded conditions coupled with the weather that makes for a less than enthusiastic trip to the gym. I hate having to spend 70% of my time at the gym waiting to use equipment.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    2017 is days away, resolutions will be made & Santa gave out gym memberships. So the question is: What is your biggest peeve with Newbies and lack of gym etiquette (for the 5 weeks they will be there)?
    -Talking/texting on their phones while working out? Don't mind texting in between sets, but I hate the people that come to the gym to go on their phones and do more texting than lifting
    - Hogging every weight?
    - staring at the opposite sex while 'working out' ? I stare at everyone. I learn this way, and I feel like a lot of newbies learn that way as well. Plus, I don't bring my phone a lot of the time and I gotta look at something besides the wall LOL

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. not everyone knows the etiquette. Perhaps instead of looking at new peple with disdain one could welcome them and if they fail to return bars and stuff rather than being all pissy and having a hissy fit one could perhaps suggest nicely they put it away

Although it does make sense to mock those trying to better themselves.
  • skahtboi
    skahtboi Posts: 7,804 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with @synchkat. You can either let these little things bother you, which is kind of silly since I have seen long time gym members do all of the exact same things, or, you can go a little out of your way to show them the proper way of doing things, the accepted way, and maybe even help them on form and how to properly perform the exercise they are doing. Then, just maybe, if they weren't made to feel like pariahs, they would actually stick around more than the "five weeks" mentioned in the OP.

I know. Crazy. Right?!
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Everyone has to start somewhere. not everyone knows the etiquette. Perhaps instead of looking at new peple with disdain one could welcome them and if they fail to return bars and stuff rather than being all pissy and having a hissy fit one could perhaps suggest nicely they put it away

I actually police the weight room by racking weights left lying around. It's just active rest.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I actually police the weight room by racking weights left lying around. It's just active rest.

You're a wonder

I will admit to, when I used to go to the gym, reorganizing dumbbells cause if they were out of order it made my eye twitch.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

You're a wonder

I will admit to, when I used to go to the gym, reorganizing dumbbells cause if they were out of order it made my eye twitch.

I live in Scottsdale / Phoenix and my usual Scottsdale gym is pretty clean and tidy.

I work over on the west side of the city and many times I'll visit a gym on that side of the world as to avoid soul crushing, rush hour traffic. This other gym is a mess.

The people are nice enough but there are weights everywhere. It makes me a lil' crazy.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options

This is why you are on my friend's list. Smootches!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    -Talking/texting on their phones while working out?
    - Hogging every weight?
    - staring at the opposite sex while 'working out' ?

that's all stuff i see all the way through the year. it only reaches irritation levels when the gym is so crowded it's harder to work around.

i don't totally fault newbies for not instantly knowing the etiquette. but regulars who do it in may, june, july, august . . . they don't have any kind of excuse.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    i don't let what anyone, newbie or not, does with their gym time affect my life. i'm only focused on one thing in the gym and that's ME!

This is why you look like perfection!! Great way to be at the gym I'd think.

:blush: you're too sweet, lulu :kissing_heart: