Excess skin with weight loss?

Options
Hey all, prior to getting pregnant I was a big girl (weighing around 15.5st) and I've lost weight, I'm now around 13.5st on a good day, but because I was large and had a big pregnant belly my skin stretched around my abdomen and now I have saggy bits of skin that used to be full of baby and fat, but now just hang there deflated and gross. Will it go away over time or will I have to have surgery to remove it (hope not!) thanks!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    It can up to 2 to 3 years for skin to 'shrink', however, whether it will or not depends on a number of factors: genetics, elasticity of your skin due to history of any fab dieting resulting in frequent big losses/gains, age, etc.

I think you will have a fair idea within a year or so whether your skin will shrink significantly or not.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Time (2-3 years at goal weight), genetics, luck, progressive resistance can all help

It may not go all the way back, but it might

Get to your goal weight, give it time then reassess your next steps
  • jskalouise
    jskalouise Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It can up to 2 to 3 years for skin to 'shrink', however, whether it will or not depends on a number of factors: genetics, elasticity of your skin due to history of any fab dieting resulting in frequent big losses/gains, age, etc.

I think you will have a fair idea within a year or so whether your skin will shrink significantly or not.

Seriously, that long? That's depressing. I never fad diet, this is my first time trying to lose weight really, will that make it less likely for my skin to go back to normal? I'm only 25, so quite young.
    I guess I'll have to wait it out. Really hope it'll go on it's own. Really disappointed that I never took very good care of my body. Thanks for the reply!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If it helps while you're waiting for your body to adjust, instead of seeing your looser skin as unsightly, remember how you got it: You have children! You succeeded in losing excess weight! Both are reasons to celebrate. Yay, you!
  • Flahertymommyner
    Options
    I have the same issue. It makes me scared to continue weight loss. I guess it is a catch-22. But yay for precious babies. I had 4 babies in 5 1/2 years...So my skin just gave up on going back. Lol. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm young (26), wishing I had taken care of my body all along. But at least we are doing it now.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Been this weight for 3 years and my skin hasn't changed one bit, sadly.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I will speak up as someone with crappy genetics who had two kids later in life and who has also lost a significant amount of weight (94 pounds) later in life.

With my first child, the skin shrunk back. With the second? Well, I was a lot older. And he was a bigger baby. And I got a lot heavier after that pregnancy, sadly.

I'm 54 years old now, and I would not trade my children or being fat for loose skin in the least. So I don't have a tight, taut body? So what. I'm not the least bit sad about it. I'm thin and fit and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

There are downsides to everything in life. When I was fat, you know what I had? Fat rolls. That got rashes in them. I had the humiliating experience of having to go to the doctor because they became infected and I needed medicated creams to treat them. They smelled like yeast all the time.

I don't have that any more. My thighs don't rub together any more. Additionally, I can walk up stairs without getting out of breath. Hell, I can run 5 miles with barely being winded.

You bet I'll take loose skin over being fat.

8cg34x88mzye.gif
  • LittleMaid17
    LittleMaid17 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've had four kids and upto 17st at 32... im loosing weight now first time proper... Looks like I'm doomed to have that skin....
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Give it time. I have lost 50 pounds, and I have about 25 more to go. My belly went from way too big to frighteningly droopy with lots of loose skin, but then it started to shrink, and it's still shrinking. I don't know if it will all go away, but I see progress every day!
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    For myself personally I think there's no hope. After losing weight my breasts have deflated and I have lots of loose skin. A little loose skin on my abdomen area too. I tell you one thing though...I rather have the loose skin than to have the weight back. This I know for sure.