Perfectionists -- what trips you up?

Options
So all you fellow perfectionists out there -- what trips you up in achieving your fitness goals, and how do you overcome your obstacles?

For me, it's having an "all or nothing" mentality, like if I can't do something perfectly, I'd rather not do it at all. That's such a lie! Over time, I've learned that small, baby steps -- even those done imperfectly -- add up to big progress!

My aha moment was a few years back when I read a quote by Maria Cilley (Flylady) "Housework done imperfectly still blesses your family." I don't know why, but when I read that, the lightbulb went on for me -- not just in regard to housework, but in regard to everything. Making even small, imperfect efforts regularly (instead of waiting for a time when I can do everything "perfectly") makes a real difference on so many levels!

Don't let what you CAN'T do prevent you from doing what you CAN!

How about you?

Replies

• 4genieb
    4genieb Posts: 9
    Options
    Not dieting at all because of past failures trips me up and avoiding the scale. Basically, fear of failure not doing it perfectly . I know that having courage to change is where I am right now. Every day doesn't need to be a day of perfect eating or perfect exercise, but a change in my attitude to take it one day at a time and congratulate myself for attempting to change habits one meal, one day, one week at a time will pay off. Always starting over is the best way to succeed and not quitting when disappointed.
  • bpdai
    bpdai Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WOW! Hit me right between the eyes with that one.

"For me, it's having an "all or nothing" mentality, like if I can't do something perfectly, I'd rather not do it at all. That's such a lie! Over time, I've learned that small, baby steps -- even those done imperfectly -- add up to big progress!"

You have described me, perfectly (but isn't that what we perfectionists are striving for?). Thank you for just the right message, at the right time! I hope that others who fall into our category read this too. I am in need of a re-alignment to get me moving again, and I believe that your message may have a wonderful effect on doing just that. It is too easy to write off perfectionism as an asset, and forget that it can also be a major stumbling block. It is the all or nothing mentality that most often fuels procrastination, and fitness is an easy activity to apply that to. Again, thank you for sounding the alarm.
  • MeredithRN
    MeredithRN Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That is exactly my problem. The "all or nothing". I have been off of the site for weeks and months on end because of a bad day. I have to force myself to log and if its not what I wanted it to be, I force myself to do it again the next day. I now try to take things one decision or one day at at time.

I stopped looking at the goal at the end- because I need instant gratification. That is what has made me stick with it for almost an entire month now. I'm pretty proud, lol. I stopped looking at what I am not and started focusing on NOW, and if I can't handle looking at a whole day- I focus on one decision. Then when I get on the scale and it is down a little or even if it hasn't changed (I only get on weekly, when I used to do it daily) its a little victory for me to keep staying "in the now".

Then when I give in an drink a couple beers with friends, or tonight- go to the fair- I am going to make my decisions.... ONE elephant ear OR funnel cake. Water instead of the delcious lemon shake up, and maybe one bite of the greasy deliciousness of my boyfriends food instead of getting my own that I will inhale. I will eat grilled chicken with my son before we go and am kind of scared of the "deep fried X" that they come out with anyways.

I love the housework quote... I will have to remember that!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    So all you fellow perfectionists out there -- what trips you up in achieving your fitness goals, and how do you overcome your obstacles?

For me, it's having an "all or nothing" mentality, like if I can't do something perfectly, I'd rather not do it at all. That's such a lie! Over time, I've learned that small, baby steps -- even those done imperfectly -- add up to big progress!

My aha moment was a few years back when I read a quote by Maria Cilley (Flylady) "Housework done imperfectly still blesses your family." I don't know why, but when I read that, the lightbulb went on for me -- not just in regard to housework, but in regard to everything. Making even small, imperfect efforts regularly (instead of waiting for a time when I can do everything "perfectly") makes a real difference on so many levels!

Don't let what you CAN'T do prevent you from doing what you CAN!

How about you?

I love me some FlyLady! :) That's what helped me get past the perfectionism too. I realized that I will never be perfect, and that I wouldn't want to be perfect anyway because it's a LOT of work and not much fun. She helped me realize that every moment can be a fresh start if need be, and that just because I slip up in something doesn't mean I have to forget all about what I have accomplished so far. I don't have to start all over just because of one mistake -- I just pick up where I left off.
  • felina77
    felina77 Posts: 9
    Options
    I think the same thing trips me up too. I love FlyLady and I have tried to follow her for years but still struggle with the all or nothing mentality. I didn't realize how much in infiltrates every area of life, including weight loss until I realized on the days I excercise or work out, I also drink my water and eat better but when I don't do one, all go lacking. Thank you for your post :)

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13