How to determine calories burned?

Options
I know they have HRM that will give you calories burned but I have no extra cash at the moment. I have 5 children at home and they all start school next month so any extra money is going towards their needs. I'm not over weight so I know I have to be more exact about calories consumed vs calories burned in order to loose body fat %. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Oh I do insanity but not at the pace as the machines in the video.

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the only way to get an accurate calorie count is a HRM......there is just no other way to determine the number of calories your body is burning. Sorry :(
  • tiffanyw5
    tiffanyw5 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i know you said you cant spend money but at walmart the have a watch in the fitness section its $27 it will help track the cals burned i love mine it can take your pulse
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you are doing insanity and not overweight i'd GUESS youa re buring about400- 500 cal a workout.
    I use a HRM and when I do insanity I burn anywhere from 600-900 calories (and yes I take breaks and not at their speed either) But I am overweight so will burn mroe than you would.

Of course you would need a HRM to REALLY know but that's my best guess.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well don't feel bad b/c even an HRM is not 100% accurate, your body is the only accurate thing there is when calculating cals burned sooo with that being said, I have 2 hrm's which both give me two entirely different numbers, both are which much higher than what mfp gives so I just use mfp. I'd rather under estimate (if that is the case) than over estimate and over eat. Good luck to u
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

you can try this web site and take random heart rates through out your exercise times and hopefully this will help. good Luck....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've done just fine using the estimates on gym machines and on MFP. Lost 30 pounds, almost 19% of my body weight, and my body fat percentage has dropped about 10%.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'd really recommend starting a savings jar for this. Loose change in, etc. A good one is about $80 and will make your weight losing efforts so much easier.

The MFP exercise data base tend to be off for many. For me it was too low, for other too high.

You can google around to find actual math algorithms where you plug in a bunch of information.....so for those it helps to know your average heart rate while exercising. I used one before I got my HRM

Best of Luck!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

you can try this web site and take random heart rates through out your exercise times and hopefully this will help. good Luck....

That's the one I used too!
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I put this formula I researched about calculating specifically for a treadmill with an incline:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206965-logging-treadmill-with-steep-incline?hl=Rox#posts-2733700
  • rgalanti
    rgalanti Posts: 2
    Options
    I've used an HRM for years, and know that I burn approx. 100 calories for every 10 minutes on the Elliptical rider. If you borrow one from someone for a few workouts, you'll likely see you are pretty consistent, and then you can just calculate it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

This online calculator was within 25-35 calories for my 6 mile run this morning. This should work great for you.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I understand not having a budget for HRM especially with having kids, but mfp will do you just fine as well as the links others have provided.. you will do great. Many people have lost billions of lbs never using a hrm so u will lose just fine also
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou: