Not much progress

Options
I've been using myfitness pay for 11 days now and so far the only thing that's changed is I've GAINED three lbs. I was really hoping this would work because if feels like "normal" eating but it hasn't resulted in any weight loss. Very discouraged. I'm trying to eat all my calories, drink the water, exercise ...but I haven't been perfect. I had a few bad days of unbalanced meals, too much sugar and protien but I don't go over the calorie amount. I don't eat all the calories on some days. It's so hard for me to think that I'm ever going to lose weight unless I starve myself, suffer, and deprive. Any advice?

Replies

• maniacalmuse
    Options
    Don't give up! Continue to watch what you eat and work on the exercise. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Don't gauge your success by the scales. If your clothes are fitting better or becoming loose you are making progress! You can do it!
  • kdimitratos
    Options
    You have to focus on eating the right grams of protein, carbs and fats more than the calorie amount. Try to stay close to the recommended carbs/fats/proteins - also try to eat at least 35g of fiber per day.. if you over eat the fiber is totally fine, doesn't harm you - just helps you metabolize/digest better. try that and you should see changes in 2 weeks. Don't be discouraged if the scale bounces around during that time, it usually takes some time for your body to adjust. :happy:
  • ncbaca
    ncbaca Posts: 1
    Options
    I really want to say to stick with it. I know because I'm going through the same thing. 11 days is not enough time to evaluate whether something is working or not. How many days did it take you to gain those pounds? It doesn't happen over night. Healthy weight loss takes time and effort. :smile:
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've been using myfitness pay for 11 days now and so far the only thing that's changed is I've GAINED three lbs. I was really hoping this would work because if feels like "normal" eating but it hasn't resulted in any weight loss. Very discouraged. I'm trying to eat all my calories, drink the water, exercise ...but I haven't been perfect. I had a few bad days of unbalanced meals, too much sugar and protien but I don't go over the calorie amount. I don't eat all the calories on some days. It's so hard for me to think that I'm ever going to lose weight unless I starve myself, suffer, and deprive. Any advice?

I know you don't want to hear preaching but please don't do this. I was stuck in the 150's for the longest time and last fall I read up on ED's and started taking diet pills, and starving myself. I was almost in the 130's after that but I gave up hope and was in the low 170's within a matter of months. I started losing a couple weeks ago and am finally doing it the healthy way again even though some days I'm in the negative calories...but I'm working on it. I know it's hard to see this way but slow and steady is the game. No one thinks a formerly obese woman can have ED tendencies, but it can happen. Please don't allow yourself to get so wrapped up in the number on the scale. Are your pants fitting better yet?
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    I went thru the same thing in the beginning. I actually went over 2 full weeks without loosing any weight & I'm exercising every day and eating very well! I'm not sure if it was just my body adjusting to the new routine or what but after that I started loosing the weight. Don't forget to measure too! You might not be loosing weight but you might be loosing inches which is even more important! Keep up the good work! It will pay off!! I also started drinking shakeology for breakfast and I can't even tell you the difference that has made! Good luck! :happy:
  • veggiepug
    veggiepug Posts: 82
    Options
    If you make your diary public we can look at what you're eating and give suggestions.
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    I know how you are feeling....I keep fighting with the same 3 lbs and it's driving me nuts. This is difficult for me too because I feel guilty when I eat. After all, food is what has made me heavy so no food=no weight gain. The only advice I have is just don't give up. It didn't take a few days to weight what we do now so I can't expect the weight to come off overnight- even though I'd love it to. Try to eat some carbs before working out then try to eat protien within 30 minutes of finishing. If possible drink more water- 10 glasses instead of 8. I don't know if this will help but it's something to try. Also, don't do the same exercise routine everyday. Mix it up.Don't just look at the number on the scale. Mine isn't going down, but my pants are fitting looser. That means something. Don't give up...you are totally worth the effort! One day you may just wake up to realize you are looking at a new you! Feel free to add me and we can work our way through this battle together!
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    Your body may be adjusting still. All individuals are different. For some people being under or over calories is not a huge factor, for others is detrimental to their weight loss if they are not eating enough or if they consume too much. For me, for examples, carbs are a killer. I was stagnant for a few days so I decided to change my allotted intake to 40% carbs-30% fat-30% protein (I also try not to have any carbs after 5pm). I also added more strength training because I was just focused on cardio at first. And guess what? I lost a pound after about 2 days!

My point is that in 11 days you still haven't been at it long enough to figure out what works for YOU. Stick to it. Take the time to learn what your body needs, how your body functions best and tweak your food/exercise plan along the way. You can do it!
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have recently posted about this. I started back to MFP in the beginning of June. I lost 5 pounds in the first 6 days then nothing, I even gained back 3 pounds. I stayed stagnant for a couple weeks and now I'm back to losing again. I'm still not sure if I''m on the losing slope yet or if my body will once again head back in the wrong direction but I figure I'll get there at some point.

All I can say is yes, 11 days can be too soon to see any progress. Some people start losing immediately while others takes some time for their bodies to readjust. Don't give up! I wrote several posts asking what was I doing wrong and saying I was going to throw in the damn towel so I totally understand how you feel. Hang in there and friend me if you would like. Also it really does help to open your diary and have other successful people critique it and give advice/suggestions. Good Luck!!
  • bmarq21
    bmarq21 Posts: 45
    Options
    Hey don't be discouraged at all!!! the scales bounce back and forth ALL THE TIME!! U've only bee tracking for 11 days so you still have some time before you probably see the results you're looking for! I'd say give yourself about a month to really see some results
  • snowman8wa
    snowman8wa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey vinkariz,

Everyone's body is different, and you're going to constantly see unexplained fluctuations in your loss. Nobody's graph is a straight line. One thing you can do is start reviewing your meals. What did you have? What was the result? I have noticed in my personal trek, that I may not loose anything until a couple days after my walk or ride. I just figure that is how my body uses the calories to repair itself. So as everyone above says, stay on track with your plan. Also, look at your fat/fiber intake. If I take in too much fat now, say I have treated myself to a hamburger, I have gone so long now without that type of food, that I "backup" for a better use of a term. And I notice weight gain for a few days. Sorry everyone, don't mean to be crude, it's a part of keeping the pounds shedding. Keep your ratios on track, keep the fiber and water high, and review the past 11 days.......JMHO......
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    You are getting a lot of great responses here, so I don't have much new to say. Just whatever you do, don't give up! The only surefire way to not lose weight is to give up. So just don't!
  • vinkariz
    vinkariz Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond, give me encouragement and good advice. I will open my diary and I'll take everything you said as very good advice to put to practice. I feel better and I'll keep trying. I think the issue of ED for overweight people is under reported. People who are very thin as a result of their ED are very visable. People just don't understand that over weight people can actually be starving themselves. I know I'm not alone with this. I worked with some women who thought is was a badge of honor to work straight through the day, never taking a break to eat. Really....how self important....the world will not stop if you take a few moments to take care of yourself and you can't save the world by giving up lunch! One was very thin and one was over weight. I bought into the concept for a long time and it left a lasting impact on me. So I'll try to get my head on straight and take care of myself. Again, thank you so much.