Question for runners

Options
So I have been running (walk/run) for a full year now. I'm terribly slow but have completed a couple of 10ks and just signed up for a half. My dilemma is over the last few weeks I'm having very tight hamstrings, primarily on my left side despite stretching. I'm assuming its related, maybe not but now my left hip is hurting after I run. I run Mon/Wed/Fri, yoga on Tues/Fri and have been doing a body pump class on Mon/Wed after I run. I've backed off on the weight for squats and lunges this last week and skipped all together today but still feeling it in my hip and glute. Any advice?

Replies

• cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me when I bumped up my mileage. I started having more problems the further I ran. One thing I know that caused me problems was not drinking enough water. If You are drinking enough water, stretching enough before and after than you might just have slow down for a few weeks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Generally for hip/ hamstring I'd be looking at core strength or stability as the more likely culprit, although a hybrid class like Body Pump should help with that.

Your best bet is to see a physio, as advice here could risk making it worse, or developing an alternative problem.

• leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    cbro70 wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen to me when I bumped up my mileage. I started having more problems the further I ran. One thing I know that caused me problems was not drinking enough water. If You are drinking enough water, stretching enough before and after than you might just have slow down for a few weeks.

I have been running farther than normal in preparation for the 1/2. I will bump up my water and see if that helps. thanks.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It could also be your shoes.
  • leasah
    Options
    Generally for hip/ hamstring I'd be looking at core strength or stability as the more likely culprit, although a hybrid class like Body Pump should help with that.

Your best bet is to see a physio, as advice here could risk making it worse, or developing an alternative problem.

I know you are right, just really do not want to go. My half is in just over a week so I need to do something fast or I will be sitting it out.
  • tabbysjourney
    tabbysjourney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shoes! Most shoes are only good for about 500 miles. Have you been fitted for a good pair of running shoes. I went through the same type of pain when I had upped my mileage and it ended up getting better once I was fitted for a pair of running shoes for me. Also, I ended up injuring my IT band when I upped my mileage as well.. So PT is another good step. If it is just tight too you could try tape
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what happened to me when I used to run. Actually, it happened when I walked as well. Turned out my left leg is significantly shorter than my right (by about .75", if memory serves). I now wear orthotics and while I don't run any more, I no longer get hip or hamstring pain when walking long distances.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    See a physio, asap
  • leasah
    Options

Ah, need to check the mileage on my shoes. I was fitted for running shoes back in the summer. Also, just thinking back to when this started that I had switched shoes a few times. The other pair is much newer and also a running shoe but has a whole lot less cushion than my Triumphs do. So glad you mention this.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Yes...I would see a physical therapist. I had hamstring issues that were caused by my running form. I had to stop running for a few weeks. I was able to do the elliptical, Strength training / Body Pump, and I did PT exercises to develop my glutes.

I was only able to start running about 5 weeks before a sceduled half marathon. While not running, I did equivalent time on the elliptical in order to keep my cardio fitness maintained. It sucked, but I wanted to do that race. I kept up with strength training too. I was still able to run the HM and set a PR by almost 2 minutes.

Anyway, your hamstring pain could be something completely different but I would strongly recommend getting checked out by a professional.
  • MrsCoby78
    MrsCoby78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here! I would also highly recommend a foam roller. A PT or even a local running shop can help you with different moves to keep you loose!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    Be really cautious about stretching your hamstring while it is hurting. You can make it worse by overstraining it. I pulled a hamstring doing speed work. I tried doing yoga and other stretches to make it better, but all I did was make it worse. I was able to continue to run, but only slowly, and I avoided hills as much as possible. It took over a year to heal. I eventually went to a PT who gave me some exercises that would stretch and strengthen my hips. They did help a lot.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes? I sometimes get weird mystery aches when my shoes are ready to be replaced. I think the soles or cushion wears down in a way that affects my running form.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    leasah wrote: »

Ah, need to check the mileage on my shoes. I was fitted for running shoes back in the summer. Also, just thinking back to when this started that I had switched shoes a few times. The other pair is much newer and also a running shoe but has a whole lot less cushion than my Triumphs do. So glad you mention this.

Are you newer shoes the same type? Saucony Triumphs are a neutral shoe.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    First, talk to your doctor as I have no medical training.
    Now my experience - I had stupid tight hamstrings 6 weeks before my full marathon. I went and saw a physical therapist and she told me to foam roll a lot before hand.
    I ran it in 4:41:37
  • zombiebrandy0112
    zombiebrandy0112 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had the same tightness in April after a 1/2. A great foam roller and stick roller has really helped. (After I was shown how to properly stretch and roll).

The biggest difference for me was finding a personal trainer who has created a specialized training plan for my running goals. He focuses on my back, core, and legs and I have seen a significant different in my running and recovery after my races. I went from pain in my hip and legs after every 1/2 to having no pain or soreness after my races, even when completed back to back. I really attribute it to my strength training.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I recommend a physio.