tums have calories! wtf!

Options
Okay so not a lot but I have horrible GERD and could easily take 10-12 Tums a day. So at 5 calories each that can actually add up. Anybody have any other examples of things you wouldn't think about having calories?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yikes thats a lot of tums! Have you seen a dr perhaps a rx might help?

My husband uses over the counter Prilosec and its a once a day.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Gummy vitamins and Citrucel.
  • sturgeonml2017
    sturgeonml2017 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I take prescription meds as well. I was on a double dose of prilosec twice a day before getting pregnant, I'm 4 months postpartum and haven't switched back to the strong stuff.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you are taking tums that often, you should really consult a doctor about a better long term solution. While the daily limit is 16, it is still possible to overdose on tums, and everyone's tolerance is different. Calcium carbonate overdose can be severe and can also be fatal if it gets to the point it effects your heart. It can also lead to disorientation as well as Valium calcium deposites in the kidneys-an OTC medication that could magically turn into Valium would be awesome lol.

Just because something is over the counter, doesn't mean you can't accidentally harm yourself.
  • sturgeonml2017
    Options
    Thank you for the info and concern. I will definitely bring it up again at my next appointment. I guess because I've had some other seemingly more pressing issues that this one always gets passed over. Very kind of you.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Liquid NyQuil has 70 calories per serving! I was shocked.

I would imagine that's mostly from the alcohol.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Have you tried omperazole? There are medications like prilosec, etc. that are helpful with GERD flareups. Run by your doctor of course but it may help more than tums.
    Okay so not a lot but I have horrible GERD and could easily take 10-12 Tums a day. So at 5 calories each that can actually add up. Anybody have any other examples of things you wouldn't think about having calories?
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Eleniala wrote: »
    Liquid NyQuil has 70 calories per serving! I was shocked.

On the other hand, you won't be awake to consume any additional calories for a solid eight hours. ;)

This wouldn't work for me - Nyquil makes me hyper. I can totally see myself pigging out if I took it.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

I take prescription meds as well. I was on a double dose of prilosec twice a day before getting pregnant, I'm 4 months postpartum and haven't switched back to the strong stuff.

I was on Zantac for most of both my pregnancies. Would that be better than all the Tums?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I was on Zantac for most of both my pregnancies. Would that be better than all the Tums?

Zantac was a lifesaver when i had severe heartburn. I only needed 1 a day, none of the other stuff i tried worked as well or i had to take copious amounts.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    This shiz is magical for upset stomachs I swear: https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/andrews-salts Hangover tummy, special lady time tummy, I shouldn't have eaten expired thing tummy, I shouldn't have had the 7th slice of pizza tummy... magical.
    This and beef oxo cubes are the things I just have not been able to replace after 15 years in the US.
  • sturgeonml2017
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I take 2 zantac every morning, it helps until lunch. The prilosec worked better but still had to spot treat with Tums here and there. I've had scopes and stuff but they can't seem to figure it out why it's so bad. I'm hoping the weight loss will help!.Also. 70 calories for Nyquil...would have never even thought to check.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Was going to make a joke about TUMS calories and having a stomachache after overeating, but saw this post. :( feel better, sturgeon.