Body Beast worth a go?

Options
I want to begin a strength training program, I've dabbled with Chalean Extreme in the past, didn't get past the Push phase but I believe that's because I fell off the wagon and never went back. I want to give myself a kick up the bum and watching Body Beast vids excites me but I want to make sure it is worth my time and not end up throwing away £46.85

I am 5ft 1 and weigh 224 lbs, I am eating at a deficit (roughly 1300-1400) and following a ketogenic lifestyle (low carb, mod protein, high fat) so obviously I am not trying to bulk or get gains but I would like to tone as I lose weight, stop the saggy skin forming and if I do see some definition that would be awesome.

Muscle burns fat as we all know and I would love anything that would help me shed while i'm in a resting state or otherwise.

So anyway is it worth someone still very overweight buying the program and in your opinion would it help or should I stick with Chalean? TIA :)

Replies

• SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Anyone?
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have tried it. You will lose a lot. You will literally melt the pounds away. I never brought the dvds but I have it on beach body on demand. I loved it. It got very tons from it.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Thanks, I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy it.

Will it be an issue if I don't use the resistance band in the doorway? I don't have a bench but I've bought a stability ball and I have bowflex dumbbells but that's it.
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I have two MFP friends that swear by this program. They, like me, love Shock Training System (STS) by Cathe Friedrich. Two of them just finished Beach Body and really enjoyed it.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    I've ordered it, excited but nervous at the same time, hope it doesn't matter I don't have the pull up bar and bench.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Though it's more beneficial to have a bench, the ball will suffice. No pull up bar and no door band to simulate the pullup motion means you will not be able to do some of the routines. I'd reconsider getting one or the other.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Thank you. I have a few resistance bands and I believe I still have the door attachment I'm just not sure how to install it on the door so I've never used it. Is it simple or can I do the program without and still see results?
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Pullups are only a small portion of what's being done so you will still get results without a doubt if you follow the program. Look at your owner's manual for installation or check for video clip someplace.

You can also look for a substitute such as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hValOTUpzV4
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Thank you do much! Just ordered it whoop whoop!
  • Misspinklift
    Options
    The ball is a good if don't have a bench and resistance band is good for the door way. However, you need to buy some good amount of weights. His goal is go heavy or go home. Lmao. What I find in most weight lifting program you go heavy with legs because they hold more muscles. With your upper body you go lighter. So I would get two sets of dumbbells from 5-15 to start off with.
  • Misspinklift
    Options
    SereneRose wrote: »
    Thank you. I have a few resistance bands and I believe I still have the door attachment I'm just not sure how to install it on the door so I've never used it. Is it simple or can I do the program without and still see results?

I don't have a door near me so I use a wall pole. It worked just fine.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this soon, super excited :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It's a good program that I would happily recommend to anyone whose goals are muscle gain, not weight loss, and who has access to a large selection of equipment. The program cannot be adapted to using bands as a complete substitute for dumbbells (as opposed to other Beachbody programs, which allow you to), and you will need a large variety of of weights.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Op let us know how it's going, I might do it right after I've finished "Stronger " on YT, it's kicking my you know what.,Good luck.
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Bodybeast rocks! I did a round and loved my results!
  • SereneRose
    Options
    The ball is a good if don't have a bench and resistance band is good for the door way. However, you need to buy some good amount of weights. His goal is go heavy or go home. Lmao. What I find in most weight lifting program you go heavy with legs because they hold more muscles. With your upper body you go lighter. So I would get two sets of dumbbells from 5-15 to start off with.

Yeah I ordered it and i'm so excited, cant wait for it to arrive, my stability ball came this morning too.
    Regarding weights I have a set of Bowflex which go up to 52 lbs each and I have resistance bands of different thickness too, I was just concerned about the bench as I think some exercises involve step ups but I could buy a small footstool.
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    Op let us know how it's going, I might do it right after I've finished "Stronger " on YT, it's kicking my you know what.,Good luck.

I will definitely keep you updated, not even sure when the delivery is due but I'm hoping for mid next week only wish I didn't hesitate so I could begin Monday, until then back to the gym it is for me lol.
  • Gr84cstr
    Gr84cstr Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have done Body Beast a few times and am starting another round this week. I am using a 72cm ball as my "bench" and a foot stool for the Leg step-up exercises. I have a set of 5-52 lbs Bowflex dumbells and resistance bands. I work out in my garage, so screwing in a heavy-duty hook into a 2x4 wall stud allows me to use resistance bands to simulate pullups.

I LOVE the program, otherwise I would not be still doing it. I am watching my calories and body fat meticulously, so I should be able to reach my goal (lose 15 lbs and 5% body fat) by May 1st. I recently moved from St Louis to the beach, so I am better motivated.

If anyone would like to add me as a friend or compare notes on here, please do.

Mike
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Gr84cstr wrote: »
    I have done Body Beast a few times and am starting another round this week. I am using a 72cm ball as my "bench" and a foot stool for the Leg step-up exercises. I have a set of 5-52 lbs Bowflex dumbells and resistance bands. I work out in my garage, so screwing in a heavy-duty hook into a 2x4 wall stud allows me to use resistance bands to simulate pullups.

I LOVE the program, otherwise I would not be still doing it. I am watching my calories and body fat meticulously, so I should be able to reach my goal (lose 15 lbs and 5% body fat) by May 1st. I recently moved from St Louis to the beach, so I am better motivated.

If anyone would like to add me as a friend or compare notes on here, please do.

Mike

Mike how do you use resistance bands to simulate pull ups? I'm looking to build up strength to even attempt a chin up, my shoulder streright now is zero. Thanks.

• Gr84cstr
    Gr84cstr Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    Mike how do you use resistance bands to simulate pull ups? I'm looking to build up strength to even attempt a chin up, my shoulder streright now is zero. Thanks.

You will need something overhead to loop the resistance band over. You can use a sturdy hook (used to hang up bicycles) screwed into a 2x4 or ceiling joist. Drape the band over the hook and hold each end of the band in your hands. Use the same pullup motion you would use on a bar, but with the bands instead.

Depending on how high the hook is, you may need to do this on your knees to increase resistance, and use slow movements to give your muscles a good burn.

Search for P90X PULLUP WITH RESISTANCE BANDS on Youtube to see this in action. Hope this helps you.