Surprised about onions

Options
I am surprised to find out that onions have carbs and sugars in them! Bummer!

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    All vegetables have carbs, sugar and sodium. Some will even have trace amounts of protein.

You must be on a low carb diet.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to sound snarky, but all foods are made of protein, fat, and carbs. Where did you think onions were going to fall?
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Aren't all vegetables classed as carbohydrates anyway?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Vegetables are mostly carbs. Carbs includes sugars. Carbs, even sugars, are not the devil. There's no "bummer" about it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    724cara wrote: »

It's not a bummer, it's why caramelised onions are so delicious, all the natural sugars cook down into gooey deliciousness.

I wouldn't lose sleep myself about the amount of carbs in an onion, its not something that is usually eaten in big quantities.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    724cara wrote: »

It's not a bummer, it's why caramelised onions are so delicious, all the natural sugars cook down into gooey deliciousness.

I wouldn't lose sleep myself about the amount of carbs in an onion, its not something that is usually eaten in big quantities.

Hell, yes. :p
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, since going low carb, I've become extremely carb sensitive. As a type 1 diabetic, this became a problem a couple weeks ago when I made a dish with onions as the highest carb item. It shot my BG up so much. My typical salad with a smaller amount of onions has no noticeable effect on BG, so quantity could definitely be the issue. Try to be careful about quantities.

Typically with vegetables on a low carb diet, I abstain from root vegetables (except onions, but now limiting quantities... and the occasional small qty of carrots if it happens to be mixed with low carb vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower), grains, and beans. I'll eat lettuce, spinach, tomatoes (careful with quantity), broccoli, cauliflower, and some squash (in limited quantities as well).