Carb Counting for kids with Diabetes

Options
dmest
dmest Posts: 98 Member
My son was diagnosed with Type I diabetes a few days ago and will need to count his carbs very closely. Is anyone using MFP for counting carbs for kids? My husband and I already use this site for ourselves so ideally, I'd like to set up a profile for my son and just set him at maintenance weight. Do you know if the carb counts on MFP are pretty accurate? Any suggestions or tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• daddyssunshyne
    Options
    I do not know how accurate the carb counts are.

I will say this. I am a type 2. Have been for years. Since using this site, eating better, and exercising,,,my sugars and insulin use have changed DRAMATICALLY.

Smaller, more frequent meals. Better choices.

Being active.

Good luck. I know the diagnosis can be heartbreaking.

Sarah
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't know if all of the carbs are accurate. They seem to be because I have to count carbs for Type 2. There are several carb counting websites you could use to check the information against until you get your favorite foods/recipes into the database. Best of luck to you and your son. Type 1 can be adifficult adjustment.:flowerforyou: MFP is the best website for keeping track-I use the note for recording blood sugar readings and have an entry for medications and supplements.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    You need to have a doctor give you figures for him and then configure the site custom to use THOSE numbers -- don't use the MFP numbers or the wizard because that stuff is calibrated for an adult.

If you do that I don't see why you can't use this site for it.
  • Lmaxwell
    Lmaxwell Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster, you must consult your Dr. I too am the mother of a type 1 diabetic. How old is your child? My son was diagnosed at age 12. It is very challenging to restrict carbs on a child.
    I think this site might help with logging all the info. You could log blood sugars in the notes portion, but I would not depend on the database for accurate carb counts. It is critical to your childs health that you be accurate.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    As an adult with Type II diabetes, I started with counting carbs and it helped tremendously. I think the best thing is logging the food intake. If his physician or possibly better, a nutritionist creates a plan for him, you will probably have the best luck. Just as long as he understands he will live a longer, healthier life if he sticks to fruits, vegetables, whole grains, limited red meats, sugar free soda, etc. he will be fine. In Iowa, we have low carb Village Hearth wheat hot dog and hamburger buns so that you can actually have a whole sandwich and feel "normal" rather than using only half a bun. I buy the leaner ground beef when we indulge in ground beef. We have only thin crust pizza and you probably already have developed lasagne and taco recipes using turkey and cutting carbs. Dreamfields make a great pasta that is lower in carbs. There are many more products out there so you can cook the foods kids like and still keep the carbs down. Good luck!