having trouble counting calories

Options
well i'm having trouble counting my calories its kinda hard to stick with so i was woundering if i dont count them but if i do watch what i eat and eat 5 to 6 meals a day and drinking lots of water i cut out the soda ect. will it still work for me to lose weight? i just started working out 5 times a week walking on the treadmill 60mins and doing the elliptical for 30mins or should i do more? i have a bad leg but since i started using the treadmill the pain has gone away little by little so i'm happy about that i weight 254.6 right now but my highest was 261 i'm 5'3.

Replies

• kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    MFP makes it easier to count calories... you can just write down what you eat, and the serving... and then plug what you eat in when you can on MFP. I think you really need to know how many calories you are eating... it's imperative.
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time during the day to get in front of a computer, keep a notebook and jot down what you eat. You can enter it later in the day. You would be surprised what you are putting in your body once you start to track it. It is really important to do. And MFP makes it so easy for you, it's worth finding the time.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    as long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

can you lose with MFP? Yes.

can you lose without MFP? Yes.

its just a matter of making sure you burn more calories than you eat in a day. if you can be sure that you have a deficit without counting, then you can lose weight without counting.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    Actually, I feel like if you are watching what you eat and have an idea of nutritional value, you will be fine! To be honest, I started my weight loss journey at 240lbs and lost 50lbs before even using MFP by doing just what you are talking about... working out 5X a week (but try working out smarter, not harder!). Seriously, since I have started counting calories and using this site, I have only lost around 2lbs (but I've also been doing a lot of strength training so I've lost 13.5 inches so far!). The truth is, I don't think it's imperative to count calories, just make sure you are making good choices!
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If your just starting out and especially if this your first attempt I would count my calories. When I first started this journey things that I thought were low in cals (like rice/avocado) were not and things I thought I should stay away from were actually not that bad for me. And if it was as easy as just watching what you ate you wouldn't be here needing this site. Count drinks also. A lot of people don't think that liquids count much. But it matters. You mentioned that your soda drinker, one regular soda is about 180 cal 2 of those is 360 thats a meal. So log everything...So I would say suck it up and count the calories.
  • phyllis5
    phyllis5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Using the calorie counter is so easy and I was SO suprised at what I was eating....use a small pad that you can keep with you and write everything down...add it to the computer later. As you will see, you too wll be surprised. As time goes on you will be able to better judge choices and portions. Good luck and keep the faith!
  • Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks, but honestly MFP will help you significantly so you can make sure you are meeting your calorie goals. There are a lot of foods out there that are totally deceiving. I am not going to say it doesn't work people have been doing it for years before MFP, it just makes it easier to see where you lag and be able to correct it. IT is definitely a life changing process and is going to be hard, you are changing your routine that you have been accustomed to doing for years. We are human and we have a tendency to take the easy path, MFP is a tool to help teach ourselves the proper way to a healthy lifestyle. That and you can get tons of support through friends on here. You can add me and I will try to help you keep on track, but there is only one person that can make sure it gets done. You have already taken the first step by deciding to change, just don't give up before ya get started. Try planning ahead on your meals it will help tracking easier. After awhile it will get easier, I very seldom have to look up calories anymore, it just gets easier with time. Remember it is not a diet but a life change, Good Luck!:glasses:
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    well i'm having trouble counting my calories its kinda hard to stick with so i was woundering if i dont count them but if i do watch what i eat and eat 5 to 6 meals a day and drinking lots of water i cut out the soda ect. will it still work for me to lose weight? i just started working out 5 times a week walking on the treadmill 60mins and doing the elliptical for 30mins or should i do more? i have a bad leg but since i started using the treadmill the pain has gone away little by little so i'm happy about that i weight 254.6 right now but my highest was 261 i'm 5'3.

You are doing great with the workouts! Keep up the good work and that's is great to cut out the soda and drink lots of water!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds without calorie counting! Just eat healthy for the most part and drink water.
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    Well, you have to question what people did to lose weight before MFP, or even before calorie-couinting.... They made healthier choices!

Ask yourself this: "Am I responsible enough to make good food choices and eat the proper portion sizes?"

Then, my question for you: What's the difficulty?