Does anyone here walk to/from work every day?

Options
My commute to work is 4.1 miles, which should take 1 hour and 22 minutes to walk, according to Google Maps. I live in a city, and taking the bus is an hour process. It includes waiting for it, riding in rush hour traffic, and then walking to the destination (10 mins). I sometimes think about how I could just walk it, but it would take a little more time in doing so, but not too much (an extra 22 mins). Not to mention, the habit could get tiresome. However, it could actually become a relaxing way to start and end the work day, so I am not so sure yet.

Has anyone here walked to/from work for a distance like this? How long did you keep the habit? Did you enjoy it or dread it?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    I've walked or cycled to work or university or most of my life. :)

Years ago, I worked 13.6 km (8.4 miles) round trip from home ... about the same as your situation.

Most of the time I cycled to and from work, and I did that for years.

If the weather was really bad, I'd take the bus, but that did mean getting up earlier, and a 2-bus each way process so the weather had to be really bad for me to do that.

And now and then I'd take the bus to work, and then walk home.

I wish I were in that situation again. But for now, I walk to the bus, take the bus, and then walk the rest of the way to work or university.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I work about 46 miles from home, so walking is out of the question. I do however do my grocery shopping on foot daily, and my two stops end up totaling about 6 of the 8-13 miles I walk per day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I live about two miles from work. I don't walk in winter (because I live in Minnesota), but I do the rest of the year.

I never find it tiresome -- it's actually a great way to prepare for work and unwind after work. I really enjoy walking and my route is interesting, so those factors help. I've been doing this for about three years now.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My work is 15km away and involves dropping off at the childminders so it's out of the question for me, but I'd totally walk or bike it if I had the chance.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've had a 40-60 mile one way commute my whole working life so walking is out the question. Personally I typically walk about 14-15 minutes a mile so my time for the 4.1 miles would be just at an hour. Unless you're spending a bunch of time waiting for stoplights I would think you could get closer to an hour.

Try it on a nice day. You don't have to walk every day.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I used to walk regularly back and forth (2.5 miles each way), and I really enjoyed it, especially after I got an MP3 player (this was back when they were first out) and loaded up podcasts and audiobooks. Now I really don't because I walk about 3-5 miles every morning (much earlier) to give my dog a walk. The time difference was also a factor in stopping; it was a 45 or so minute walk compared to about a 5 minute drive.

Agree with above poster; you don't have to walk every day, but it's a fun option to think about when it's nice out and you can fit it in! I got to loving it, especially when I was into an audiobook and wanted to find out what happens next.
  • plants1408
    plants1408 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do what I call "Half-walking to work". I work in the city and there's a park about a mile away from my job, so I'll park my car there and then walk the mile to work and then back afterwards.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I used to run the 2.5 miles to my old office every day. There were showers in the building.

Now I walk out of my bedroom to my desk 20' away.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    osimancek wrote: »
    I do what I call "Half-walking to work". I work in the city and there's a park about a mile away from my job, so I'll park my car there and then walk the mile to work and then back afterwards.

Kind of like what I do, but with the bus.

I'll often get off the bus a stop or two or three early and walk from there.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I walk 2 miles to/from work every day and enjoy it (4 total). It is a way to get some extra activity into my day without having to set aside exercise time...it is just built into my commute. Also a good way to de-stress after work. I wear a lightweight backpack where I put my stuff (keys/wallet/phone/etc), a bottle of water on hot days, work-appropriate shoes/socks to change into, my lunch, a small umbrella if it might rain, workout clothes if I plan to stop by the gym on my way home (it is on my route and sometimes I'll stop to run on the track or do weight training.... on super cold days I might just warm up in the sauna!!)