Creative ways to get more protein?

Options
I just started adding more strength training into my workouts. I've realized through the MFP app that I am consistently low on protein. I started using protein powder after workouts - 1-2 scoops, but have found that this still gets me nowhere near what I need for a high protein diet. What tips, ideas or thoughts do you have on increasing protein? Also - I have a seafood allergy, so tuna salad, fish, etc is out for me.
Thanks!

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Chicken salad (if you make it yourself you can keep the mayo low), cottage cheese, eggs...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is high protein (what is your protein goal and your calorie goal, and why)? How much are you getting in daily?

Protein foods are meat, eggs (and fish), dairy, beans and grains.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    What is high protein (what is your protein goal and your calorie goal, and why)? How much are you getting in daily?

Protein foods are meat, eggs (and fish), dairy, beans and grains.

This would be valuable information. Frankly, a great many people simply have their protein set well beyond what it needs to be 'cuz protein...after a certain point, you're just making really expensive glucose.
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a female, 5'4" and 124 lbs. My calorie goal on MFP is 1,300 and my protein goal on MFP is 81, although I'd really like to see it above 100. My average is between 49 and 60.
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My fitness goals are to increase my endurance and become toned.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    What kind of protein powder do you use? Most have 20 grams, but IsoPure Zero Carb has 50 grams for a serving. That could be an option, plus integrate yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken salad, etc.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Add liquid egg whites to protein shakes. I have minimum 300g protein a day and usually have no trouble getting there, using only 2-4 scoops protein and the rest from whole food.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    smiles6428 wrote: »
    I'm a female, 5'4" and 124 lbs. My calorie goal on MFP is 1,300 and my protein goal on MFP is 81, although I'd really like to see it above 100. My average is between 49 and 60.

You have a good weight for your height. 1300 calories will put you in a deficit, a goal for weightloss. 81 grams of protein is most likely adequate. 49-60 is pretty low. If you up your calories, it will be easier to get enough protein, because the proportion will be lower. But 70-80 grams even on 1300 calories shouldn't be that hard to reach with normal food. There is protein in a lot of food. Try to have some protein food for every meal/snack. If you have a sandwich, fill it with ham, and drink milk. Eat a hard boiled egg or some nuts for a snack. Add beans to casseroles.

Are you trying to avoid fat? If you do that, it's difficult to get enough protein, because lots of good protein sources come with fat. Don't be afraid of fat.
  • Gotchocolate
    Gotchocolate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you need 100 grams but that's your choice and I won't judge anyone's diet. I am 5' 7",120 lbs. and feel great with around 60 grams protein, but I eat a mostly vegan diet and am not looking to gain muscle at the moment. Anyway, I have recently found pb2. It's a powdered product you find by the peanut butter at the grocery store. They have removed some of the fat so you get much more protein for the calories. It's 5 grams protein per 35 calories, which is way more than the regular peanut butter I was eating. You have to mix it with water to make peanut butter or you can mix it in when you make things like pancakes, oatmeal etc. Actually I need to think of more things to do with it:)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Eggs, chicken, lentils, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese :)
  • tofuligan
    tofuligan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Add pumpkin or sunflower seeds to salads, nuts to stir-fries, and hemp hearts to just about anything. Warm lentils make a great lunch on beds of cold mixed greens, and cold lentil salads are absolutely delicious. Roasted chickpeas are delicious snacks, and you can make just about any meat dish lower-calorie and high-protein by substituting with beans and other legumes (think black bean enchiladas, or kidney bean sloppy joes)
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Eat a raw bear.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Have a protein source at every meal and snack. I pre log my meals then see what I need to do with my snacks to meet my protein macro. Adding a little extra protein at each meal is another strategy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    smiles6428 wrote: »
    I just started adding more strength training into my workouts. I've realized through the MFP app that I am consistently low on protein. I started using protein powder after workouts - 1-2 scoops, but have found that this still gets me nowhere near what I need for a high protein diet. What tips, ideas or thoughts do you have on increasing protein? Also - I have a seafood allergy, so tuna salad, fish, etc is out for me.
    Thanks!

Not aiming for too much. Sometimes people get the idea they need some huge amount. [Edit: I see that's not you, excellent.]* I usually get around 95-100 g, which is .8 g/lb of my goal weight, and also consistent with my LBM, and that's plenty (arguably more than enough, but I think the evidence that it helps protect muscle mass at a deficit and is especially useful for people as we age is convincing, and also I find it pretty sating).

To get the amount I do eat, I find it useful to include it at all meals, and especially to get a good amount at breakfast (I often have eggs, which aren't all that high protein, and when I do I usually have some other protein source too -- my favorites are low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt or smoked salmon). I also get some from vegetables I eat at breakfast, though not a huge amount.

I normally have no issues getting it at lunch and dinner, but lunch is another place where I think a lot of people may end up eating kind of low protein, so making sure you are getting it at all meals can be useful.

I don't really snack, but if I did I'd also make sure I was getting some protein then.

*Like others said, the MFP goal is probably enough (a good formula for a range of protein goals for someone active on a deficit is .6-.85 g per lb of a healthy weight, and you are at a healthy weight), especially as you are struggling to get it there and so probably aren't going to have the added satiety benefit. It's going to be harder to get at 1300 cal, as was noted, but it's also probably more important when your calories are that low, as it helps preserve muscle at a deficit, and your muscle is more at risk when the deficit is steep. (How steep that deficit is depends on activity -- I'm 5'3, 125, and 1300 is not a steep deficit if I'm not active, but if I am it would be, and I normally lose at more like 1600, which makes the protein thing easier.)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    Eat a raw bear.

Well, I guess it certainly checks the "creative" box off.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Throw some chickpeas protein powder and pb2 in a food processor . Protein cookie dough
  • jbcisney
    jbcisney Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did not see anyone mention White Beans or Pumkin Seeds - not a main stay, but you can slip some protein into your salads that way. Also Tofu is supposed to be a good source (though I've never tired it)

You may want to keep an eye on your Potassium levels as well. I found that I when I was low in Protein my Potassuim levels dropped off as well.

On the "Creative Side of things"...not sure I'd recommend the "raw bear" route... my ride name being "Bear" - I can attest our Protein to Fat ratio is probably not in your best interest ... :)
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My stats are very similar to yours and I too struggle with getting enough protein. I will often cook extra meat at meals so that I can portion them out for lunches the next few days. My big lunch salads always taste better with leftover grilled steak or baked italian chicken :) I also eat beans or add them to salad. I eat cheese and also my favorite snack - Beanitos with a Hint of Lime chips. They have 5 grams of protein per serving as they are made from white beans. Yummy flavor! I also use plain greek yogurt as sour cream and make veggie dip and add it to my white sauce or on top of a baked potato.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    Eat a raw bear.

for extra fibre, leave the skin on.

um. i find anything over 80 grammes a chore too. some vegetables have a lot more protein than you might think, so there's that.

and personally, i've been making a lot of home-made biltong and slicing it early for go-to snacking. that kind of gets into the raw-bear area though.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    am a fool. repost